Author Topic: How is it supposed to feel at high speeds?  (Read 10978 times)

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
Re: How is it supposed to feel at high speeds?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »
Generally speaking if it wobbles at 60+ and not below its tires, thats on a car, truck, scooter, motorcycle, or mattel hot wheel.
Honestly 250cc is the bare minimum for highway, I have many bikes and I no longer ride anything below 600cc on the highway. With that said though I dont believe you shouldnt be on the highway either. I use to ride my heavily modified ke100s for 45 miles both ways on highway 44 to 270 to 30 here locally on the regular to one of my properties, it was going on 11 years strong. If a 1979 rotary valve 108cc AC enduro can do it safely a new 250cc water cooled scooter sure can. Although, I no longer ride my small bikes due to being blown over a whole lane on my klr250 when a 18 wheeler blew past me doing 80 MPH+ on a 60 MPH road, (idiots cant do the speed limit).  After that I vowed to never ride anything under powered. You need that reserve power to pull you out of a head wind.

â€œOpinions are like nipples, everybody has one. Some have firm points, others are barely discernible through layers, and some are displayed at every opportunity regardless of whether the audience has stated "I am interested in your nipples" or not.”
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:51:59 PM by LoveMyKymco »
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 09:53:58 PM »
So something I noticed today was that when I compress the front shocks there's a low pitch creak / groan. It sounds like it might be relevant.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 10:12:33 PM »
The older people have a horrible problem with induced shaking.
You DO understand that this is a scooter forum , and that a lot of scooter riders are - shall we say, approaching veteran peopledom.
It is more polite to pretend you don't see older people shaking....
So let's not make such a big deal about this and just stick to the scooter'in issues!
s h a k i n  STIG
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2014, 12:09:13 AM »
"Your tired eyes failed to see what your feeble mind failed to comprehend. We are all running a race against time.
Some of us are just closer to the finish line." Nelson Mandella

Shakey old people make me laugh, and it's easy to steal their candy.

Enough political correctness. I ordered a rare burger at my favorite beach front joint, and was informed they are not allowed by law to serve hamburger meat rare.
When some random jackass tells me how to F'n eat... All bets are off.

I love you Stig. You are a very well respected member here, and I for one consider it a privilege to share your company.
Please don't worry about shaky old people. There gonna drop sooner than you can shake a stick. We all will.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:11:22 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 02:01:20 AM »
I am not tha t shakky,  I am vibrant,  81 and still hanging in there,.

PeTroL42

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2014, 07:04:28 PM »
Check your tires carefully.

I bought a used 2009 SYM HD200 a few months ago.  It only had 1800 miles on it looked good overall and the tires still had a lot of tread so I never took a real good look at them.

The scooter ran fine without any problems but when I took it on the freeway, the handling felt a little spooky.  It was like the bike would move laterally on it's own without any input from me. 

I decided to inspect my tires one day because I was bored and I found that there was a crack that ran parallel with the bead and the crack was around the whole tire, on both sides.  My rear tire wasn't as bad but there was a big gouge in the sidewall.

I stopped riding the scooter and promptly ordered new tires and the problem went away.

In hindsight, I can't believe I risked my life like that.  My tire could have failed on me at 70 mph.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 05:17:41 AM »
I spent good money on great tires cause I don't want to die for a lousey 150.00.

DeeDee, Your candy is safe.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 06:41:37 AM »
... I've rode if you let go and coast no hands wobble violently after just a second or so no hands. ...

This is how it is and has always been on my 2005 GV250.  I also had the issue but very mild on my 1992 BMW K75s.  The solution was to properly shim the forks.  That is the only way to eliminate the problem.  It is not tire brand, or mixing brands or wear.

The test for fork alignment is simple.  Unbolt and remove the front axle.  If it is difficult to remove and reinstall the fork tubes are bent slightly.  This is how it is on my GV250.  The problem cannot be solved like the bmw because there is no way to shim the forks.  An adjustable brace would need to be installed to correct the alignment. 
PaulC

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2014, 06:43:52 AM »
feels kind of shaky, like I'm being oscillated side to side, and perhaps like my handlebars are oscillating a bit. ...

Totally normal.  Even my bmw motorcycle did this and it weighed 550 lbs.  A windshield and cross winds increase the effect and if you pass a large truck on the highway.

PaulC

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 06:44:40 AM »
No one caught what he said... The rear wheel is slowing at a point in the rotation... It's a bent rear out put shaft.

Remove the rear brake caliper and the problem will go away.  My scoot does the same thing.

PaulC

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2014, 05:44:37 AM »
I don't think removing brakes should be recommended. It could be a warped rotor or a bent output shaft but blowing up the sun so you can sleep during the day is not really a fix.

I respect you Bois, and love how much you help. Perhaps you forgot to post the rest... Check the rotor for run out.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2014, 01:54:21 AM »
After much frustration, I'm mostly through with the tire change. I only noticed one thing wrong with it, which is that the front wheel bearing is occasionally slowing / making a pinging sound when you turn it by hand. So I'm thinking that's bad.

I think it's also getting in the way of balancing the front tire. As far as I can tell, the "heavy" spot is changing, I'm guessing related to the bearing as well.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 01:55:08 AM »
Oh, and some of the bolts were a tad loose maybe. But I'm going with the bearing causing my problems.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2014, 05:02:40 AM »
If the bearing is sort of pinching, and stopping at random spots it is surely about to fail catastrophically. Be happy you found it.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2014, 05:34:58 AM »
About to fail catastrophically meaning that I shouldn't be riding it at all until it's replaced, or that I should just replace it within the next couple of weeks? I ask because this is my only means of transportation.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()