Author Topic: New member, first Kymco  (Read 11672 times)

arcanum70

• View Profile
New member, first Kymco
« on: June 22, 2014, 04:41:08 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm new here (well, apparently I signed up for an account a while ago and forgot about it...lol), and am purchasing a used Xciting 250 next week.  It's an '07.  Another dealership here in Vermont had an '09 (which I would have preferred since it's fuel injected), however they wanted over $4,000 for it because "It's brand new".  I'm still trying to figure out how a bike that is five years old (even if it has zero miles on it) is 'brand new'.  I actually stumbled across the Xciting by accident.  One dealer in the state had a Grand Vista for sale (a bike I have always loved the look of, and I'll be honest, the electronic folding mirrors get me every time), however when I called them this morning they had already sold it  :'( but they referred me to this other dealer, in another part of the state that had this bike (the Xciting).  After doing some research on it (both motorcycle review sites and this forum) I decided to get it.  I think the two things that have the most appeal for me are the tire size (since most of my riding will be done on state highways and back roads, and the roads here in Vermont are not the best, so the bigger tires will be a plus) and it's weight.  The weight I like because it seems like a heaver bike will handle buffeting on the interstate better.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, and I look forward many happy Kymco rides.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: New member, first Kymco
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:09:32 AM »
Glad to have ya here Arc.,

I not so Keen on 250cc's on the highway myself but... For the rest of your riding it should be a blast.
I ride on the flat lands of Florida, and I truly do miss the mountains.

I'm sure you're gonna enjoy the bike up there.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 07:33:06 PM »
Thanks Zombie.

I'm not too worried about Highway (the speed limit here in Vermont is 55 on state highway), and there isn't going to be much interstate riding (65 here in Vermont).  However I do plan on getting that 300cc bbk for the bike.  And, I will probably be driving you guys crazy with questions since this is my first carbureted bike (all my others are fuel injected).  For instance, if I put the 300cc bbk on it, will I have to adjust the carb, what about gearing...etc.

Even though this is a slower bike than my other 250 (a Hyosung MS3 250 that has managed to get my fat ass up to 87 gps, not be in the red and still have some throttle) I know it's a step up in quality.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »
You will need to swap out your main jet when you upgrade to the BBK. You MAY even need to up the idle jet.

I just responded to a post by a fell here that has some over heat issues w/ his 300cc kit. I'd try to find that thread, and follow along how he makes out. It seems to be a question of overheating w/ his bike, and perhaps a gasket mod to fix it up... I'll try to link it here if I find it before you do.... 

Highway/interstate... I always assume Hwy is the Interstate. 55MPH is a good cruise for your bike. 70+ is a torture test.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:25:33 PM »
Little update.

I'm not going to be able to pick the bike up until Saturday or Monday.  I have to say that I'm impressed with this dealership.  Before they are letting a used bike out of their shop they are changing all fluids (including gas), cleaning and adjusting the carb, changing all filters, and I got a call this morning that they are getting new tires for it and don't want me to have it until they get the new tires on it.  Such a welcome experience, especially after my last used bike purchase where I'm still finding things wrong that they should have taken care of before selling it to me.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
A good dealer can easily become a good friend. It's nice to hear the guy is taking care of a second hand scoot for you. Most of them forget your face the second the bike is out the door.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »
Dang arcanum!  Your dealer needs to give customer care lessons to all the dealers that some of the rest of us have had to put up with in other parts of the country!
Wecome to the Forum, and don't worry about asking lots of questions. If you don't ask, you miss out on the awesome knowledge that the scooter veterans have to pass on.
I've learned more from asking dumb questions than I ever could with educated guesses!  ;)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 01:19:27 AM »
Cause you KNEW what the hole was for.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
Congrats on the new-to-you scoot, Arcanum.  I've had my XC 250 now for 3 years and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it.  It will do fine on the back roads and highways, but Zombie is right about the Interstate...the bike struggles at 70 mph.  Anything less and it rides solid and purrs.  So far no issues with my bike which I bought as "new" in 2012 despite it being an '09.  Sounds like the dealer is taking good care of you.  Enjoy the bike!
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 01:01:20 AM »
Thank you for the welcomes everyone.

A little update, I was supposed to get it the other day, but they wanted to put new tires on it for me as the rear tire was starting to cup, so they ordered a new front and rear and got them on today.  The mechanic took it for a test ride and I got a call from the dealer letting me know that I couldn't have it yet as the speedo was not working and they won't let it out like that.  While I'm itching to get going on it, you have to appreciate this level of service.  My only problem with this dealer is they are 106 miles from where I live (so it's going to be a fun first ride on it), so they really aren't feasible to use for the small stuff.  But, most of the small stuff I can do myself anyway, and if there is anything major I can always trailer it and take it there (I would rather do that than deal with the idiots at the bike shop in the town I live in).

Oh, and I ordered a helmet cam and will have that Monday.  I've been meaning to order one since last year, but haven't had to money until now.  So, hopefully I can get some vid's up of the back roads of Vermont...hell, even our interstates are scenic.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 01:37:33 AM »
VT is beautiful. Living in the south I do get home sick from time to time. Long Island was always home for me but damn near every other weekend was spent in Vermont for skiing Maine for dinners or Mass for Salem/Boston fun.

You couldn't pick a better place for scootin'

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 03:00:07 AM »
VT is beautiful. Living in the south I do get home sick from time to time. Long Island was always home for me but damn near every other weekend was spent in Vermont for skiing Maine for dinners or Mass for Salem/Boston fun.

You couldn't pick a better place for scootin'

I don't know...being from Michigan ( and spending my last years there in the U.P ) and , now, being in Maine...I think both areas are great for scooting ( and fishing...I keep a packable LL Bean spin/fly combo under my scooter seat ) .
 :)
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 03:14:09 AM »

I don't know...being from Michigan ( and spending my last years there in the U.P ) and , now, being in Maine...I think both areas are great for scooting ( and fishing...I keep a packable LL Bean spin/fly combo under my scooter seat ) .
 :)

Michigan is gorgeous.  I lived in Ohio (Columbus) for ten years, but I drove truck so I spent a lot of time in Michigan.  Too many people think of only Detroit when they think of Michigan, they don't realize how beautiful the state is, especially Northern and Western.  Once you go west of Ann Arbor (I've spent a lot of time at that TA truck stop there) it is beautiful and great for riding.

I'm going to be in Maine next month for Ski's Shrimp Run, a rally by Richmond ME.  All scoots (regardless of size or make) are welcome...it's going to be on July 26th (I reserved a campsite for the whole weekend, Friday through Sunday...lol).

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 04:34:38 AM »
The first thing I thought of was in fact Detroit. I guess it's like people thinking NYC is the whole state.

It's kinda strange how very different all the places in the US really are. It's easy to generalize because most of us can't quite grasp the geographical, and cultural differences.

Carrabelle is practically torn from the pages of Mayberry RFD. 40 miles north on the other side of Apalachicola National Forest is Telogia. That place is straight out of Deliverance. My wifes GrandFather is her Father. No joke. (she's in a nut farm or prison somewhere so save the flowers)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:38:36 AM by zombie »

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 06:24:29 AM »
Michigan is gorgeous.  I lived in Ohio (Columbus) for ten years, but I drove truck so I spent a lot of time in Michigan.  Too many people think of only Detroit when they think of Michigan, they don't realize how beautiful the state is, especially Northern and Western.  Once you go west of Ann Arbor (I've spent a lot of time at that TA truck stop there) it is beautiful and great for riding.

I'm going to be in Maine next month for Ski's Shrimp Run, a rally by Richmond ME.  All scoots (regardless of size or make) are welcome...it's going to be on July 26th (I reserved a campsite for the whole weekend, Friday through Sunday...lol).

Hubby and I are doing (part of) Skis Shrimp Run. Staying at Camp (Fayette) and riding into Richmond for parade and see what happens from there .

Where areyou coming from?

Perhaps we could meet up?
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()