Author Topic: Michelin City Grip  (Read 1793 times)

Vision

• View Profile
Michelin City Grip
« on: June 23, 2014, 09:42:20 PM »
Just got the bike back after installing City Grips. First impressions are the bike is much more agile and the ride seems to be a little smoother.

Anybody know how the ride can be so different? Is there less rubber connecting with the ground, for example?

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: Michelin City Grip
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
I think the difference is that the City Grips are softer compound tires than the ones that come stock. They will grip better, especially when leaning into turns, so they should handle better. As to the smoother ride, they may just be absorbing the bumps better than the harder tires.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:02:46 PM »
There are too many reasons for tires to respond differently to list. Tires are a science these days.
Every manufacturer has a site with some Bla Bla stuff but if you look up a few of them you can come away w/ a pretty good understanding of what designs would best suit your needs, and buy the tire that is built that way.

A Pizza delivery scoot that rides in sunny weather, and back streets can get by w/ Nylon Bias ply tires.

Same bike on main roads in all sorts of weather needs a softer compound for traction.

A highway bike NEEDS radials. Sustained high rpm stability is important.  You can waste alot of money on poor tire choices.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 12:09:08 AM »
Just got the bike back after installing City Grips. First impressions are the bike is much more agile and the ride seems to be a little smoother.

Anybody know how the ride can be so different? Is there less rubber connecting with the ground, for example?

This guy knows tires!
I have been using "Bib's" tires for years.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 03:04:19 AM »
See if he laughs at your posts or returns your calls. How about just meeting up for that cup of coffee in the morning.
The guy is a blow hard.

I wear operating scrubs alot (personal choice) but people don't ask me to remove their warts. I think the fat boy is a poser.

This guy knows tires...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:07:32 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

PeTroL42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 05:50:27 PM »
A highway bike NEEDS radials. Sustained high rpm stability is important.  You can waste alot of money on poor tire choices.

I have a SYM HD200 with bias ply Avon tires and I take it on the freeway all the time.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 05:27:59 AM »
Didn;t you also post where poor tires almost killed you?

The city grip is a good bias ply tire but neither the bike or the tires are made for sustained highway use.
For the tires there are not many scooter Radials available so the next best thing a a 4 ply reinforced tire w/ at least a p rating (93mph).

The bike is just too light to be on a highway but that is just my opinion.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()