Author Topic: one Florida scoot shop  (Read 1446 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
one Florida scoot shop
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
Stopped in at the big local scoot shop here in St  Pete Beach to look and talk scooters with the couple who own the shop. Maybe 50 scoots, half were 50's the rest 150's and two 250's. Prices started at $1500 to $4500. They said their scoots were all one step below Vespas. All were Chinese...but "not the junk Chinese variety".
 The most interesting part of the conversation was when I asked about servicing.
They both said their scoots don't require any servicing....but he can do an oil change fot $20. So, they sell them but no longer service them. Warned me that buying one of the junk variety dealer will void the warranty after your first warranty issue.
Interesting folks.... no servicing. He's the only scooter shop for miles... and scoots are everywhere down here. .will try to find out where they're going and visit that shop.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: one Florida scoot shop
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:16:18 PM »
Were there any lables on these scoots. At 4500.00 better be name brand.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 03:13:30 PM »
Were there any lables on these scoots. At 4500.00 better be name brand.

Be Big,
AMAC
The $4500 was a pink 250 Elvis something. It has been in the window for a couple of years....or one just like it. They had a maxi size ,250  for the osame price, but she said the company was discontinuing the scoot because " of some foolishness in China". !!.. so I could make an offer on it since she wanted to get back the floor space it was talking up. I didd note they carried only half helmets. This shop has been here for years, so they must know what they're doing. Of course I think most of their business is scooter rental.... since I swear those are the same scooters I saw last year.
Stig
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:18:26 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »
ST Petes Beach!!

Thought I'd swim out to the buoy one day and half way to the buoy a fin broke the water. Talk about an adrenalin rush, don't think I ever swam that fast back to the beach in my life. Not sure if it was a shark or dolphin.

Mother lived in Bahia Del Mar condos near the draw bridge.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »
ST Petes Beach!!

Thought I'd swim out to the buoy one day and half way to the buoy a fin broke the water. Talk about an adrenalin rush, don't think I ever swam that fast back to the beach in my life. Not sure if it was a shark or dolphin.

Our first year here my wife cleared the entire beach for 2 miles when she spotted 3 "shark fins".
A local set her straight.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
The thought that scares me is that in 2000 I think someone got killed by a shark there and it was in 1999 that I was there. But anyway back to scooters. Let me ask is it hard or  a PIA to rent a pickup truck, van , or trailer and travel someplace to get a good quality scooter?
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »
ST Petes Beach!!

The sharks are there, everyday period.
High point most are small and wil just take off a few digits I'd they get you.

Mr. Bull or tiger is another story. Bottom line is you have a greater chance of drowning than getting bitten by a shark.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 04:22:52 PM »
WOW that is so dumb. Maybe they couldn't find a good tech? "don't need servicing" and Chinese bike are two phrases that don't go together. Good luck getting more than 5000 miles without properly servicing a Chinese scooter. Plus service is a HUGE money maker. I guess they don't like making to much money. The Chinese bikes, ALL of the off brand ones tarnish scooter reputation in America. People get one for their first scoot because they don't know any better and the cost is a factor. But then the bike will break down then they get discouraged about the reliability of scooters in general. Just my opinion.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »
ST Petes Beach!!

If you visit your mom regularly then you must know a friend of mine that lived there until 2-3 years ago. Dell is the only name I'll use. Had 6 boats, and three apartments there, and was ALWAYS at the pool between 3, and 7 pm.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()