Author Topic: Treating rust...  (Read 2984 times)

nushipwright

• View Profile
Treating rust...
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:55:43 AM »
Hello to everyone!
My name is Norbert. I'm new to this forum and I have recently bought a dt300i.
The bike is 3 years old and already showing rust on the underside of the frame, both stands and the exhaust. Nothing very serious yet, but about time to do something about it. I want to restore\conserve the bike as much as possible.

First I want to do the exhaust. I bought some Hammerite rust remover gel. Didn't go for the Loctite one since that leaves a film after (to prevent rusting again) and I can't know if that film would take the heat. The Hammerite doesn't leave a film. I plan to remove the majority of the rust with a brass wire brush. Then apply the hammerite gel. I'm not sure when washing off the gel should i use soapy water to neutralise the acid? Then dry it and paint it over with bbq paint. Got one which is good up to 650 degrees C.

Ant thoughts? Is my approach good?
Thank you all who reply!
N.
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

kfc.android

• View Profile
Re: Treating rust...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »
zombie: so the product you posted can be applied to any metallic part without rust as a kind of prevention as well?

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:08:39 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply Zombie! Since i already bought the bbq paint, can i use it on the exhaust drum? That shouldn't get near 650°C.
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 07:23:37 PM »
It,s not recommended for surfaces that will NOT be heat/cool cured. The paint application has to be done correctly, and by the directions for it to work.

Forgot... Use a Stainless steel brush. The bronze/brass whatever will leave a skin on the pipe, that the paint won't stick to.

U spray thru a cut down paper towel roll to control over spray. Practice a few times on a garbage can or something. It saves alot of masking off. Tin (aluminum) foil is good for masking too. It stays.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:27:46 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:09:47 AM »
Thank you zombie for all the info. But before i order that vht paint i need to know how it should be applied and treated. If it needs oven treatment than it's out of question since i have no access to an autoclave. :) i can only treat it on the bike...
Can someone share what is the correct procedure? Maybe an instruction manual?
Thanks!
. mostly 2up city

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 01:39:29 AM »
Find their web site, and look for the directions. I tried but gave up at the video.

What I do is clean the metal, run the bike till hot, and spray. That gives a base coat that will not burn off. Spray 2-3 LIGHT coats, and drive again for about ten minutes.

Spray again 2 coats, and let it cool. Repeat the ride, and it should be good. You have to let it get as hot as it will get, and cool for it to stick.

One can will do the whole pipe, and last about a year.

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 08:44:21 PM »
Another question:

What kind of lubricant/water displacer to use on shock absorbers to stop/prevent rust?
WD 40? PTFE? White Lithium grease? Slicone?

. mostly 2up city

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 06:11:57 AM »
Nothing will stay on the slide tubes. The best thing I have found is the accordion type rubber covers. Measure the diameter, and length. You can get these easily on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Pit-Bike-ATV-Fork-Cover-Gaiters-Gators-Boots-Black-/151245882427?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2336f5043b&vxp=mtr

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 06:13:17 AM »
Thank you for the quick reply Zombie! Since i already bought the bbq paint, can i use it on the exhaust drum? That shouldn't get near 650°C.

It will work there. Sorry I missed your post earlier.

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
thank you Zombie!
I will take a photo of the rear shocks so it's easier to show where I want to treat prevent rust.
. mostly 2up city

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 03:56:50 PM »
For run of the mill rust prevention I wire brush/sand if needed, and use any 2 part urethane paint. Imron/Nason are good choices. You can apply these w/ this...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 06:19:11 AM »
Some photos of the rear shocks:

. mostly 2up city

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »
That's all raw steel. Unless you paint it there will always be an up hill battle there. The paint, and sprayer I posted above are your best bet. Unless you buy a fancy replacement. Most of the good ones are anodized, and will look good long after the bike is shot out.
Just my thoughts...

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 09:11:53 AM »
Thank you for your reply Zombie!
So you say I should not worry about the rear shocks too much?

on the other rust issues:
I'm ready to paint the muffler and exhaust pipe, but have 2 questions:
1. where do I disconnect the o2 sensor?
2. is it ABSOLUTELY necessary to replace the exhaust gasket? Have no replacement gasket at hand...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:14:45 AM by nushipwright »
. mostly 2up city

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()