Author Topic: Treating rust...  (Read 2987 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Treating rust...
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 04:36:07 PM »
The O2 wire is built in on the sensor follow it back into the harness for a pin type connector. Just a few inches back.

I always try to have gaskets on hand before taking things apart. Reason is the one time you try to re-use the gasket will be the time it comes out in a hundred pieces.
You can try but I would think it would be a fail. Just the way it is... That's the next point. When you do order a gasket for whatever... Get a few of them. all in all I'd say it's a 50/50 shot you could re-use it
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 06:14:16 AM »
Thank you zombie. Good point. And if I break the one I have on the bike currently, I won't be able to ride it for days/weeks at worst. I will not take off the pipe then. Not for now at least. but I will paint the muffler at least, since I borrowed all the tools necessary for the operation.
Any thoughts where to buy gaskets from?
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 06:49:01 AM »
One of the fellas here posted up this link. He says he is quite happy w/ them.
http://www.moxiescooters.com/index.htm

They have a drop down menu for your bike so follow the bread crumbs... I would look at a CVT cover gasket, maybe an "O" ring for the oil screen cap, air filter, fuel filter, and a spark plug to make it worth shipping.

If you happen to call them mention the Forum. I will contact them as well. Reason is I'd like to see if they will set us up w/ a discount program for Forum members. We can bring them a lot of $$$'s.

Post up, and let us know how you make out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »
Dear zombie, your idea is very good and I wish you can arrange a discount for the forum members. However I'm not ready to spend so much at present. I only need a gasket and maybe at a later time an air filter as well. But if I can help in any other way for this plan of yours to happen please let me know!

I took off the muffler yesterday. Cleaned it up. Removed rust by using wire brush, rust remover gel, and sandpaper 320grit before painting. it took me about 3.5-4 hours of work from start to finish and had cost me about US$17.
Once I have the gasket I'll remove and paint the pipe as well.

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
The best thing you can do to help is to stick around the forum, and post up whatever lifts your skirt. There are a bunch of wonderful people here, and sharing information about anything/everything is what we all have in common.
I usually learn more here than I can process in one day.

I'm sure you will be quite happy w/ your "new" pipe.
Salute!

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »
I agree with you zombie. Loads of info here!
I was looking for the exhaust gasket and found something, although their part nr. does not align with what I have in the DT300i parts manual. (attached p.87-88)
So before I buy something wrong, I ask here is this the one I'm looking for? (for the DT300i)
says: Gasket Size: O.D 41.5 X ID 35 X Depth 4mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360836901373
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 06:04:46 PM by nushipwright »
. mostly 2up city

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »
Get the correct one . The 18291 part number. I have found replacements for some bikes but I did so by ordering one as a test sample, then ordering a few.

You really do need to order thru a dealer to be sure.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()