Author Topic: Something leaking??  (Read 3936 times)

ispud

• View Profile
Something leaking??
« on: September 27, 2009, 11:40:45 PM »
Something is leaking.  I found a small puddle right under the lowest spot on the belt cover.  It is mostly clear with black grit in the center.  It feels oily to the touch and I could not smell anything when I sniffed it.  I was hoping it was water from washing with some brake grit in it.  I will keep an eye on my fluids and let the dealer deal with it if it continues.  The bottom of the belt guard had some gritty oily accumulation, I could not see where it was coming from, so I wiped it off to see how fast it comes back.  Any ideas?

:)>>

axy

• View Profile
Re: Something leaking??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 05:26:17 PM »
Something is leaking.  I found a small puddle right under the lowest spot on the belt cover.  It is mostly clear with black grit in the center.  It feels oily to the touch and I could not smell anything when I sniffed it.  I was hoping it was water from washing with some brake grit in it.  I will keep an eye on my fluids and let the dealer deal with it if it continues.  The bottom of the belt guard had some gritty oily accumulation, I could not see where it was coming from, so I wiped it off to see how fast it comes back.  Any ideas?

Unfortunately, yes.

Last week I had 6000 km regular inspection with my P250S and one washer (seal) within CVT casing, where the shaft goes through, was leaking.
This washer (3 US$ worth) was replaced, otherwise CVT cover would be full of oil as the time passes.

Disassemble CVT cover and take a good look around shaft, is everything dry or not.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

DEPeople

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
Your problem doesn't sound very different than the time I overfilled My gear oil. It ended up in some strange places. It entered the air box and dripped out onto CVT cover and pooled under it just like Yours. If You take off Your air box cover, You would see a lot of oil in there if this is Your problem. If it is, order Yourself a new air filter ASAP. Good luck.

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:12:36 PM »
When you fill gear oil you fill to fill hole? Correct? or no?

Thanks for replies!!

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
My air box is way above gear oil - is yours??  If so how does gear oil get into air cleaner?  I haven't had anything leak for last day or 2 and the bottom looks clean (I wiped if off when I found the puddle and was trying to figure where it was coming from.

beeboytroy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:43:17 PM »
I am not sure about P250s but I overfilled my gear oil on my Blur 150 and it turns out there was a weep hole located between my rear wheel and CVT cover. And its only job is to drain overfilled gear oil. So now I use a measuring cup when I replace that oil.

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:40:18 AM »
When you fill gear oil you fill to fill hole? Correct? or no?

Thanks for replies!!

Not  correct!!!!!!! Read the manuel.. refill  by  fluid volume...NOT sight..If  your  lucky  it  just  vented into  your cvt  cover..Worst  case  you  blew a  seal...

You  remarked  else where on  this  sight that  it  was  dead..I  guess  your  ineptness  has  increased  the traffic...Your  amusing...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:42:10 AM by olbull »
2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »
amuse this

gotta love a know it all

My manual says fill it "to the brim of the hole"
My shop manual says "The oil level shall be at the oil check blowhole."

glad to add some joy to your day oldude.

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »
in my manual it does say - "Capacity/Exchanging Capacity: 0.2L/0.18L" right above filling directions.

I emailed Chip at Kymco USA today to see if I could get a definitive answer about how much gear oil goes in the current PS250.

I did find some posts in the General area about gear oil and not filling it to the hole, but they seemed to address the 150 - not sure.  There was another post on this board about this subject, but I couldn't get an answer from it.

I am curious how the gear oil gets from the gear oil area to the air cleaner and then into the belt area.  After I hear from chip I may pop open the air cleaner and check it out and then pull the cover off the belt enclosure and see if there is oil in there.  I hope not!

I will post any finding here.

I am also going to call my dealer and ask him, while I harass him about my "free" top box that I haven't received yet.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »
I am thinking on that model there is a vent hose from the gear case to the air box. the gear case HAS to be vented to allow the oil to expand w/out blowing seals, It makes sense they would use the air box as a terminal
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »
yes there is a small hose that connects the 2 - still looking for connection from air box to belt enclosure.  Didn't get to opening the air box yet - tried to lift scooter with try #2 scooter lifter and found I need to go back to the drawing board - so have to do it on the ground - for now!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 03:48:29 AM »
For lifting the sc0oot ... I use a milk crate, There is NO connect between the "belt encloser" and the air box. If there is oil in there, U may need a seal.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »
more info on milk crate please.

I opened up my air cleaner this am and removed it - no sign of oil anywhere - there is a funny little bulbous thing inside the air cleaner that the skinny rubber line from the gear box goes to - no sign of any fluids anyplace in there.  Pulling the CVT cover is something I think I want to avoid if possible.  There is no sign of further leaking.  I will keep an eye on it.

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 07:21:56 PM »
testing

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 05:19:42 AM »
kymco usa steven says that you should use the amount of gear oil stamped on the gear oil case - .23L or 7.77 oz.  do NOT follow directions in owners manual or service manual.  this is good to know yes?  One can only wonder what else in these manuals is incorrect.  Bad Kymco!  I drained mine this morning as I had filled it up to the fill hole, and carefully measured .23L and injected it with my 2 dollar horse syringe - syringe only holds 2 oz so I had to do 4 doses.  Hole is too small to see where level is at, so I am guessing you cannot check the level, you have to drain and refill to know your level is ok.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()