Author Topic: 2009 People 250s Sometimes will not Start  (Read 1406 times)

Bobbi Bam

• View Profile
2009 People 250s Sometimes will not Start
« on: July 01, 2014, 03:18:18 AM »
 OK as you know you must turn key to on position, turn switch to on position, squeeze brakes and hit run switch.
  Well my issue is that some days its fine. Some Days I do all that and nothing happens. There is a fully charged battery. Now if it happens to me on the road i just turn on the switch and turn key to on position after removing my seat and storage compartment i just take a screwdriver and cross between two terminals of starting relay solenoid and it cranks and starts so that has saved my butte a few times...
I think it must either be faulty solenoid or whatever activates the solenoid...
what do you think..

my second question is where to buy parts for these particular models. It's a pain in the butte looking for websites that have a good variety of oem and aftermarket parts

scrollderf

• View Profile
Re: 2009 People 250s Sometimes will not Start
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 03:34:02 AM »
Solenoid is okay. Could be the kick stand interlock switch. or the run switch. or the brake interlock switch. or a bad ground somewhere from the starter switch to the solenoid. If intermittent, probably a bad ground. Could also be a battery going south (insufficient voltage to arm the solenoid) (place the battery on the tender or charger, then see if this helps). This problem can be a devil to diagnose. I took a full year to properly diagnose this same problem I had with my previous scooter. I had to first rewire the starter directly to the solenoid (very bad procedure as it bypassed the interlocks) which allowed me to at least start and use the scooter, then later, after removing all tupperware, I traced all the wires until I found a wire that was grounding out or possibly worn through (could not see as it was part of a wrapped loom). Frustration.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:16:50 AM »
OK as you know you must turn key to on position, turn switch to on position, squeeze brakes and hit run switch...Some Days I do all that and nothing happens. ...

I had the same or similar problem on my 2005 GV 250.  Here is the symptoms:

1. kickstand up & run switch on - hit starter and nothing happens.  Starter does not turn over.  Battery fully charged.

2. The digital LCD speedometer screen does NOT go blank the way it normally does as soon as the starter button is pressed - which indicates that the only problem left is the the left brake interlock lever switch. 

Note: Even if the kickstand is down and the run switch is in the off position - the starter will still spin the motor but it will not start.  The only thing that prevents the starter from moving the motor (assuming everything else is working) is the brake lever switch - same switch that triggers your rear brake light.

The test: squeeze and hold the rear brake (left brake lever) and if the brake light does NOT come on then the switch needs to be replaced or cleaned.  It costs $20.  I opted to remove, carefully open and clean the corroded contact on mine and have not had a single problem since.

If the brake light goes on when the left lever is squeezed, then test the starter relay as zombie suggested.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:01:21 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 07:34:07 AM »
Starter relay. Check for 12 volts w/ the key on, and ground when you squeeze the brake lever/push the start button.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 06:10:28 PM »
I'm with zombie, by jumping that starter solenoid you pretty much diagnosed you're issue. If it was side stand switch or kill switch jumping the relay would crank but not start. Replace relay you'll be golden
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()