Author Topic: Stig's 1'st Running Issue  (Read 6972 times)

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Stig's 1'st Running Issue
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 03:44:07 AM »
 Stig is just out riding his new Forza. He'll be back soon. LOL.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 01:58:55 PM »
Stig is just out riding his new Forza. He'll be back soon. LOL.
Don't forget to add the Piaggio BV 350.
It has the slight  advantage over the Forza because it looks like the pretty Italian big sister to the LIKE200i.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 04:40:34 PM »
I knew you were alive.I could feel your breath.

Update?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
Hey there Stig! We was gettin' worried for a minute or three!  8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 05:13:08 AM »
Don't forget to add the Piaggio BV 350.
It has the slight  advantage over the Forza because it looks like the pretty Italian big sister to the LIKE200i.
Stig

I forgot about the BV350.  High horsepower. Price is not insane.

Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Puffpoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »
Your like has 7000 miles on it. Did you have the dealer run diagnostics on it as recommended in the owners manual at 1000KM?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »
I think he used the bike as a mooring anchor for his new pontoon boat. (mid life crisis)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »
Scoot running so poorly I had to park it.
Took it to the dealer today. Guess who's never heard of a Kymco diagnostic tool?
These guys have sold Kymcos for yrs...this is a testament to how well they run... they just keep going with no dealer support. They said that plug-in down by the battery is for the battery tender.
Perhaps this explains why I tried so many ways to fix it in my garage....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2014, 08:00:50 PM »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »
Sorry Stig, Had to do it...

Did you see my post on testing the O2 sensor?
You can pull it from the pipe, and using a DVM, and a propane torch you can see if it is reading.

I don't believe you have a sensor problem tho. It would have shown on the ECU UNLESS it is a bad ECU.

The O2 sensor will create approx 1 volt after 2-3 minutes of heating. Remove the heat, and it should drop back to 0 volts in 2-3 seconds. A second test it to disconnect the pigtail, and run a wire up to one hand from the O2 wire that goes to the ECU. Attach a wire to the positive battery post, and your other hand. I know the bike has to be under load to see the problem... Bear w/ me. Ride the bike w/ these wires in each hand, and see if the problem clears.
The idea of this is your body acts a a resistor, and it will allow approx 1 volt at some milli amps to trick the ECU into thinking the O2 sensor is reading.

Reaching yes but it's better than fort'ing up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:10:34 PM by zombie »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2014, 08:29:09 PM »
Hey, Stig! Don't throw in the towel! It ran great for 7000 miles and now there is a reason it has a hiccup 20-35 mph. Tough part is to find it. The analyzer will not show any codes beyond what the bike shows. It will show some values but then the service manual is in question for what the values should be. I am not surprised the dealer was "mistaken" about the "battery tender" plug in the battery box. This forum knows more about the Kymcos THAN ANY DEALER! You said you did the Like initialize, right? OK, here is one more recommendation: get your ohmmeter and check the TPS pot for range and SMOOTHNESS. Make sure it changes progressively from throttle closed to WOT. Then call us in the morning.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2014, 05:31:22 PM »
Scoot running so poorly I had to park it.
Took it to the dealer today. Guess who's never heard of a Kymco diagnostic tool?
These guys have sold Kymcos for yrs...this is a testament to how well they run... they just keep going with no dealer support. They said that plug-in down by the battery is for the battery tender.
Perhaps this explains why I tried so many ways to fix it in my garage....
Stig

Stig,

Whenever I brought my Like into the dealer they wanted to treat it as if it was a Vespa. They don't follow Kymco's maintenance schedule. Instead they follow Vespa's. That is why I service my Like myself and only let them do warranty work. My warranty ends in 2 more weeks. At 8,000 miles and following Kymco's service schedule my Like is running better today than when I bought it 2 years ago. So far the only warranty issues have been defective batteries and a seal behind the variator. If electrical becomes a problem I dread handing it over to a dealer. At that point if I can't resolve the issue myself I'll scrap it for a Vespa 300 or BV350. I fortunately have lots of knowledgeable Vespa/Piaggo folks in my neck of the woods. Anyway, I hope your Like gets fixed soon and you're back to riding.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
Stig,

Whenever I brought my Like into the dealer they wanted to treat it as if it was a Vespa. They don't follow Kymco's maintenance schedule. Instead they follow Vesa's. That is why I service my Like myself and only let them do warranty work. My warranty ends in 2 more weeks. At 8,000 miles and following Kymco's service schedOppule my Like is running better today than when I bought it 2 years ago. So far the only warranty issues have been defective batteries and a seal behind the variator. If electrical becomes a problem I dread handing it over to a dealer. At that point if I can't resolve the issue myself I'll scrap it for a Vespa 300 or BV350. I fortunately have lots of knowledgeable Vespa/Piaggo folks in my neck of the woods. Anyway, I hope your Like gets fixed soon and you're back to riding.
Well, we see what the dealer comes up with. Surely these guys are not complete and idiots....they sell and service Burgmans, Magesties, Gold Wings, and Ducatis!!
  I need to have a better attitude! The

Fyi.....it is the complete opposite situation here re. Italian scoots.... I love everything about the BV350...but if that rural dealer ever packs his bags from lack of business...I'd be sunk for dealer support and parts. So, sadly, the Italians are out of the question for me, where I live.
Looking real hard at the 2014 Forza.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:46:03 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 06:21:45 PM »
even if you swap out bikes (which at 7K miles I understand) you will still need the Kymco to be running if you want to use it as a trade in. Same for a private sale. The dealer may not want it, and a private buyer will beat you to death on the price.

Hang tight man. It's just a plastic toy.

SgtShak

• '13 Kymco GT300i / '11 Vespa Lx150 (wifes)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
Stig.....I am by no means a mechanic but I had a very similar situation (although not on a scooter) and it turned out to be an exhaust problem.  Engine wasn't/couldn't breath properly.  It always started fine but the minute it was put under any stress, it would begin to run like it was flooded or fouling.  Could be way off but consider all the exits.
Don't be afraid....It's only a scooter!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()