Author Topic: Why Kymco 300 & not FORZA?  (Read 3603 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Why Kymco 300 & not FORZA?
« on: July 06, 2014, 08:50:31 PM »
I've seen a lot of excitement from Kymco 300 owners....but was surprised to learn today that the Honda Forza is the same price as the Kymco.
Not to offend any Kymco owners....and  I agree that Kymco makes a good value, good quality, scooter.
But, for the same price you brought home a Kymco and not a Honda.
Is there some hidden issue with the Honda? Service intervals shorter than a Kymco? Service costs higher than a Kymco? Parts prices?

I would think the re-sale value of a Honda 300 would easily outdistance that of a Kymco 300.

Help me out here....as I'm looking to move up (and have been eyeing the CBR250 Honda bikes and the Forza - because I have owned a number of Honda bikes and always found them to meet first and foremost my 2 main requirements: operating reliability and build quality! Speed and power ratings were never an interest for me - because I never planned to drag race or road race my motorcycle, or pull a house trailer with it. As a street rider > what do I care what the top speed and horse power stats were.)
Why the Kymco and not a Honda for the same $$ ?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Why Kymco 300 & not FORZA?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 09:16:32 PM »
In Germany, the Forza is more expensive than the Downtown 300i ABS (5655€ vs. 5299€) and less powerful (imho this does matter - or do you ride a much cheaper 50cc?).
The Forza needs a "real" wind shield (123€) and top case carrier (96€ - Downtown 44.50€).
But the Forza has a much greater service interval (12000 vs 5000km).
Imho it's a matter of taste and local dealers.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »
In Germany, the Forza is more expensive than the Downtown 300i ABS (5655€ vs. 5299€) and less powerful (imho this does matter - or do you ride a much cheaper 50cc?).
The Forza needs a "real" wind shield (123€) and top case carrier (96€ - Downtown 44.50€).
But the Forza has a much greater service interval (12000 vs 5000km).
Imho it's a matter of taste and local dealers.
Seriously?
Someone has a taste for a Kymco rather than a Honda?
Kymco must have a magnificent reputation in Germany.
Kymco is unknown here in the States - except by a handful of owners who did not want to spend Honda prices.
Stig
That is interesting.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »
I test rode the Forza before I bought the DT300.

First and foremost for me was the curb weight. At 422 lbs it has almost 60 lbs more heft than the 367 lb DT300. Then I look at the Forzas 24.5 hp compared to the 29 hp of the DT and the Kymco is a quicker scoot across the power band.

That said the Forza is a fine scooter, Honda all the way. Smooth as silk and available with ABS if that's what one wants.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Kymco is unknown. In the southeast US you'll see more Kymcos than scoots from the big three. Well maybe you'll see more china scoots!

Be Big,
AMAC
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:25:56 PM by Amac1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »
I test rode the Forza before I bought the DT300.

First and foremost for me was the curb weight. At 422 lbs it has almost 60 lbs more heft than the 367 lb DT300. Then I look at the Forzas 24.5 hp compared to the 29 hp of the DT and the Kymco is a quicker scoot across the power band.

That said the Forza is a fine scooter, Honda all the way. Smooth as silk and available with ABS if that's what one wants.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Kymco is unknown. In the southeast US you'll see more Kymcos than scoots from the big three. Well maybe you'll see more china scoots!

Be Big,
AMAC
'Round here....I rode for miles this w/e putting that Sea Foam thru my injector. I did see one scoot....a chinese scooter laying on its side in the back of an old hopped up pickup. There's a wrecked Kymco 2 miles from here, still sitting in the Condo lot after the guy's hit & run last summer, and a nice red and black Kymco pair a few doors down from me - but they never seem to ride 'em since he flunked his 1st license attempt.  I was going to offer to show him how to do some simple servicing, but I can never catch him on the road. (He & his wife told me they bought their LIKE's because they saw me going by all the time , and "it looked like fun" ) Besides - I'd just void his warranty, too!
During 10 days in St Pete, FL, I saw 2 Metros, 1 Vino, 2 Peoples, a Majesty & a Buddy,2 Vespas, a LIKE and 372 Chinese scoots.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 10:44:54 PM »
It's hard to keep a scoot alive in Florida. Bad gas added to the sun, and heat make for short scooter life.

That explains all the throw away scooters here. Kymcos are Bic lighters, and the China bikes are those clear Crack Head lighters.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 11:20:51 PM »
It's hard to keep a scoot alive in Florida. Bad gas added to the sun, and heat make for short scooter life.

That explains all the throw away scooters here. Kymcos are Bic lighters, and the China bikes are those clear Crack Head lighters.

Dude you kill me !
How's the pup doing ?

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:13:38 AM »
Most of the newer Honda scooters I've weighted in lately have made in Taiwan on them. And if I'm not mistaken the Forza it's slightly more I've you figure in dealer setup and freight.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 12:42:17 AM »
 The timing of this post is amazing. I rode my LIKE to the motorsports mega store today. I was checking out the scooters in the south 40 of the building. They had all of the Hondas, Suzukis, Kymco, Znen (chinese), Yamaha, etc. After looking over all of them, I kept going back to the People Gt 300. (Not including the leftover 2010 People S 250) Part of it is the Asian styling. The Forza is a cool bike and is on my list. The used Yamaha Morphous caught my eye. It is more style than substance though. They had the Burgman 400, the 650, as well as a 200.
 I am looking for another toy as well. I will be comparison shopping. My criteria are horsepower, speed, price, and a seat better than the LIKE.
 More than any of them, I love the Ruckus. It is not an option, as I am not a mod guy. I too, am more aware of the pros and cons of scooters now. It is not an easy choice.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 01:55:24 AM »
Dude you kill me !
How's the pup doing ?

Be Big,
AMAC

He's good BigMac. I appreciate the thought. Like it never happened.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 02:42:55 AM »
I have both a Kymco and Honda dealer in the major city nearby. The Honda would have needed a larger touring windshield. The Downtown 300 has much higher hp to weight ratio. I was downgrading in scooter in order to get a lighter, more agile machine, so the Kymco would fit that criteria better. The DT300 is just as quick as my previous Aprilia 500. Reviews for both were very positive. I am small in stature, so the DT300 is fine for comfort. Both seemed equally comfortable to sit on. I never did ride a Forza, so cannot give the best recommendation, but I am extremely satisfied with the DT300 from Kymco. I suspect whichever one you got, you would be happy with. It is hard to get test rides from dealers. Both will make great commuters - not long term tourers, and more than just tooling around town, but a compromise to adequately be fun on the highway and around town.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 07:06:16 AM »
Someone has a taste for a Kymco rather than a Honda?
BMW and Kawasaki have.
And we have more Kymco dealers than Honda (mc) dealers.
Kymco mechanics charge significant less per hour (80€ vs 110€ in a big town).

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 10:08:35 AM »
My personal opinion Kymco is the best bang for you buck. Honda is more reliable but unless your are looking for a larger bike (400cc or more) they are just a little to pricey. Also i think in a few more years Kymco will become more popular in the states.
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

msolok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 12:30:46 PM »
When I was looking around for my first bike a few months ago I had it narrowed down to with the Honda Forza or the Downtown. The Downtown won on many fronts:
- The Downtown was a fair amount lighter. With my fat butt in the seat the less the scooter weighed the better
- The Downtown has noticeably more power. My area is hilly with 80+km/h roads to get anywhere, so I need the power.
- I fit on the Downtown. Have enough room to move around and get comfortable. On the Forza my knees hit the dash and was very uncomfortable.
- The Downtown has the looks, IMHO. Looking at the Forza and the Downtown next to each other I thought the Downtown looked the business and the Forza looked plain.
- The downtown is reliable. Kymco is known to be a good reliable brand, which started out as a part of Honda and has grown. They are now making engines for BMW bikes. Hell Kawasaki are even buying the whole damn Downtown from them to sell under Kawasaki name (so in this case the good old Japan quality is really ROC quality).

In the end I got the Downtown for slightly less than the Forza but got a bigger, lighter, more powerful, better looking bike. For me the Downtown was the obvious choice.

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
When I started looking for a scooter one year ago, I had the Forza in mind.  It's what I wanted.  Then found out that I wouldn't be able to get one for several months, so I bought the Downtown.  I haven't regretted buying it for a minute.

I rarely ever see another scooter on the road and I do hope that the gain in popularity.  I'd like to have someone to ride with once in a while.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()