Author Topic: Why Kymco 300 & not FORZA?  (Read 3601 times)

ophelia

• View Profile
Re: Why Kymco 300 & not FORZA?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
The Kymco is very easy to service. As a mechanic, I start to avoid bikes that are a pain to work on. Sure, I could take longer to work on a trendy European bike, but the customer sure doesn't want to pay me for the additional time I actually take on an otherwise routine job.

I am curious about how much effort is needed to service a Forza, but I will have to wait until my friend wants to bring his bike in for routine service.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

kfc.android

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »
This is a good question, when I first shop for scooter in the states, my first thought was YAHAMA TMAX, unfortunately they don't have it anymore and the Suzuki Burgman is just too expensive (and not so sporty) for me so I decided to move on to the other Japanese and two Taiwanese bikes.

After a quick research online, I narrowed down my pocket list to the following:

SYM Citycom 300i (263 c.c.)
   Pros:cheapest among 3, 16" wheel, 2yr warranty
   Cons: least powerful, no ABS

Kymco Downtown 300i (299 c.c.)
   Pros: Powerful engine, large luggage space, 2yr warranty
   Cons: no ABS, kymco should put European seat on this bike

Honda Forza w/ ABS (27x c.c.)
   Pros: ABS!, Honda quality and reliability
   Cons: not so good power/weight ratio, so so promotion and discount

In terms of build quality, I think three bikes are very close to each other.
I am from Taiwan, so I know SYM and Kymco made very reliable scooters for decades.
(I owned both brand when I was there, scooters in Taiwan were built with a easy-to-service mindset)

Honda Forza, if I remember correctly, was made in Thailand(?), which is one of the Honda's largest scooter manufacturing base and their quality is among one of the top manufacturers.

Therefore, in build quality and reliability wise, I think those three bikes are too close for me to tell the difference, so I use the cost/performance scale to evaluate them.

Citycom was eliminated first because the top speed is only rated 79 mph and slightly under-powered for my 60+ miles daily interstate commuting.

DT300i got most power among three, better discount and promotion, but I was kind of mad why only US model doesn't has ABS as standard (see Taiwanese and European version)

Forza got the ABS I want, but less power and so-so discount (I used Costco purchase program to save me some time with those dealers so I don't have to play games with them) made me decided to support the brand from my home country.

I strongly agree that you will be satisfied with either one since they are both decent bikes.
Those information above were just my personal thoughts, and as always, I could be wrong.
I will probably made a different decision if we have new Silverwing or YAMAHA TMAX in US market.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:35:43 PM by kfc.android »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 06:57:21 PM »
Very insightful post. I like the way you broke it down to the basics.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 06:05:34 AM »
I am curious about how much effort is needed to service a Forza, but I will have to wait until my friend wants to bring his bike in for routine service.
http://www.honda.at/pdf/Inspektionszeiten_2013.pdf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()