Author Topic: First trip to the shop: Bad case of blue bells and a Coo new case  (Read 1708 times)

XcitingSeoul

• Riding bikes in Seoul is my real-life video game.
    • View Profile
    • ADAM LOFBOMM VOICE
I'm way late in posting this info, but better late than never!

I took my X500 into the shop two days after I bought it to have him install a Coocase Reflex V50 top case and rack I had bought on the Korean version of eBay ($160 for both). My wife and I had also noticed a strange noise coming from the CVT on our first ride around the city, and I wanted to find out if it was just a normal sound from an unfamiliar bike, or something wrong.

Once again, I've got a 2012 ABS model. I paid the KRW equivalent of $5,700 USD for it, and it had 807km on it when I picked it up.

Now, I had assumed that the bike was just like new and that the guy who had it before me couldn't have done too much damage, only having ridden it 500mi. When the mechanic opened the transmission case, we found out he evidently took it for quite a ride, and had totally blued out the clutch bell. Fortunately, I had taken it to a guy who specializes in Kymcos and seemed to really know his stuff. He proceeded to drill out the edge of the clutch bell and changed out some of the rollers, alternating lighter and heavier ones. (Unfortunately, this was the first time I had ever seen the inside of a CVT, and didn't really understand how it all worked or why he was doing what he was doing, or else I would have been curious to know what the roller weights were that he put in, etc., plus my wife was doing the translating and she's not familiar enough with mechanical terminology to tell me all he told her about what he was doing...) While he was at it, he went ahead and changed the oil and added a magnetic drain plug to catch any metal fragments as the engine continues to break in.

The rear rack he installed for me is actually a mash-up of the used rack I had bought and a rack he said would be much sturdier from a company called MSR. The MSR rack mounts under the passenger grip bars and to the rear seat mounts, and then he used the struts off the used rack which bolt up under the bike like the GIVI racks. So, altogether, the top case mount has six points of contact with the bike, and it ain't going nowhere!

The bike's CVT seems to be running great now (just passed the 1,600 km mark a few days ago), and the Coocase adds tons of usable storage space, and makes my wife feel much more comfortable when she's riding back there.

Here's the damage:

2014.06.13 Bought Coocase Reflex V50 top case and Xciting mounting bracket on Joongo Nara for â‚©160,000

2014.06.13 Bought MSR mounting bracket (hacked together with used Xciting bracket) for â‚©170,000 installed at A-Plus

2014.06.13 Oil & filter change & magnetic oil drain plug for â‚©64,000 + â‚©10,000 at A-Plus

2014.06.13 CVT service (drilled out blued clutch bell & switched out rollers) for â‚©80,000 at A-Plus
“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life” ― Jack Kerouac, On the Road

Porkie

• View Profile
Re: First trip to the shop: Bad case of blue bells and a Coo new case
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »
Your scooter looks really nice with the new topcase and they do add enormous extra storage for you.

The pic's are well done and show a lot. I like the idea of the holes in the clutch bell as it seems it would allow a little extra cooling and allow dust particles to be thrown out of the bell instead of just glazing the bell and pads, creating an uneven surface between the bell and pads.

I have friends in Seoul and have seen some absolutely beautiful pictures of the area.

Take care!

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: First trip to the shop: Bad case of blue bells and a Coo new case
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:15:53 PM »
I would have replaced bell. He did this because it helps with clutch bell heat, but this could throw off balance of a spinning part. Just my 2 cents, but I would have left/put in stock rollers also. Less weight in rollers means higher rpm's at hwy speeds. But if u mostly ride city streets, less weight would give u better take off speeds. First owner must have spent first 500 miles learning how to ride (meaning starting and stopping), for entire 500 miles? :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()