Author Topic: Persistent oil leak in 2010 Xciting 500ri  (Read 1271 times)

saltydog13

• View Profile
Persistent oil leak in 2010 Xciting 500ri
« on: July 09, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody can help me on this one. My 500ri has developed a leak in the rear part which has been attributed to a defective oil seal. the darn thing has been replaced twice by the authorized Kymco dealer. The "tech" states that he doesn't understand why it keeps doing it. I have even tried taking it to other motorcycle shops etc., and they either don't want to deal with it or do not have the proper tools to deal with it. This is very frustrating, and annoying. Could it be another mechanical problem? Help me KymcoForum, you are my only hope!

Thank-you!

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: Persistent oil leak in 2010 Xciting 500ri
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
Rear of bike? Water pump side or other side? I just had to change out my stator/alternator. This is located behind cover where water pump is. There had been a small leak there (probably because bike sat for over a year at the dealer I bought it from)? Anyway, the mechanic said he had to take an hour to scrape off the old gasket as the factory had used some kind of rubber cement stuff when they built the bike. If it's this gasket, remove gasket, make sure surface is completely smooth with no trace of the old gasket left, and then apply a good quality gasket sealant to both sides of gasket before reassembling. :-* My leak has completely stopped. :) ;D

saltydog13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
Hello sissy mary,
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. The oil appears to be leaking from under  the plastic crankcase cover seam on the left side of the scooter, if that makes any sense. My bike was a new old stock bike. I bought it brand new in 1212, yet it's a 2010 model. Actually the warranty just expired. It was serviced under the warranty, and they still couldn't make heads or tail why it leaked. All they kept telling me was that it was an oil seal problem. BTW, the leak started at the end of the riding season last year, which for me is around October-November (I live in northern Illinois).

Well I hope this information helps. What you wrote certainly makes sense to me. I'll try anything at this point, because other than that the bike has been great.

Again, thank-you.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:52:50 PM »
We have to know which seal it is. The oil will travel, and come out of wherever.

There are several instances of poor case castings causing even new seals to fail. without pictures of the seal or a better description of which seal no one can help
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
Rear part?????????????????????????

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

An Error Has Occurred!