Author Topic: IM Chat on forums?  (Read 2451 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
IM Chat on forums?
« on: July 15, 2014, 02:21:37 AM »
One of my Hootch forums is taking a poll on this Forum Chat thing.
I don't get it... Isn't that what we do? They showed a page but I don't understand how it is different.
Anyone know about this stuff?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: IM Chat on forums?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 04:19:04 PM »
It's usually a scrolling box at the top of the page that keeps like the last 30-60 comments then the old ones drop off to neverland. No topic in particular, just a place that immediately posts your comment without everyone having to reload the page to see it. Open to all eyes and able to be topic hi-jacked 6 ways to Sunday depending on how many people are posting at the same time. I use one on another forum and it works well for people who just show up to the forum and want to discuss whatever is on their mind. I've thought of having this for here but didn't know if it was an available option for skad. I say we get it if we can, it will help keep other topics, well . . . on topic. It's great for general chit chat.
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 05:09:16 PM »
So it is exactly like what we do here...

My true concern is I have heard these are easy to hack, and get IP's from. Actually you just log on to it, and you have access to all the computers chatting.
 The distilling forums are sensitive enough in nature cause it's kinda the same thing as a Meth lab discussion forum on the open net.

I go to great lengths to stay hidden there (hootch, I don't care about the Meth thing), and I am somewhat concerned this would unmask anyone that uses it.

Am I founded in thinking this or am I just chasing my own tail.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 05:16:36 PM »
So it is exactly like what we do here...

Am I founded in thinking this or am I just chasing my own tail.

No it's not the same because the chat window shows up all the time at the top of the page (if integrated into the forum) no matter which page you are viewing. No having to go to a specific page to start a convo with whoever is logged in. Just scroll to the top of any page and start typing. The real convienence is that is is fast. you type, hit return key and poof, it's there for all to see.

Not sure about the hacking thing. The few forums I've done this with are very small numbers of users (40 or less) and I really don't think hackers will be interested in such a small forum.

Skad would have to look and see if it is even an option for this forum and if so decide if he wants to use it. Yes vote from me.
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »
It's an option on those PHB or PBB whatever forums.

It's the instant keyboard thing I understand that is vulnerable. I'm a software hacker. I know nothing about computer hacking.
ALTHOUGH I did donate 1.75 MILLION  Virgin Atlantic frequent flier miles to Angel flight. I posted here on the forum where I "found" them.

The IT security company that was attempting to monitor / decrypt my "traffic".

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 05:34:52 PM »
So it's kind of like the instant message on FB.
I think this forum is fine as is. No need for IM.
We already have the PM option for person to person comments.

The biggest issue with an open IM setup, is that most sites are required to monitor IM.
FB monitors all IM, even if it's only between 2 people, for the sake of "Cyber-Bullying" and for talk of "Illegal Activities".
So if you use IM on FB, someone else HAS read ALL of your private IM's!
Just another way for Big Brother to keep an eye on things.

Skad does a great job of letting this be a truly open forum, and for the most part, allows us to self police ourselves. No need to put more work in his lap!
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »
That is where I was going w/ this. The hootch forums by their nature are Illegal. Well not the forum itself but everything we post is about is an illegal activity (for 90% of us).

I have applied for my federal ethanol fuel permits, and my state Lisc to manufacture Fuel ethanol but as of right now I am not allowed to even own a still let alone post openly about running it.

You guys will keep this quite right? Just the two of you know...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 05:53:36 PM »
I heard nothin'!
I saw nothin'!

;)  8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »
1:30am behind 5th, and Main.
Judging from your last post we have a "position" for a guy w/ your qualifications.
Not afraid of dogs or heights are you? Loud noises?

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 07:06:39 PM »
1:30am behind 5th, and Main.
Judging from your last post we have a "position" for a guy w/ your qualifications.
Not afraid of dogs or heights are you? Loud noises?

Can I join in???Love Covert Operations! (Hate Gov't Control/Big Brother ! ) .

8)

P.S." I know NOTHING" .  (Sgt. Schultz )
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 07:08:07 PM »
So it's kind of like the instant message on FB.
I think this forum is fine as is. No need for IM.
We already have the PM option for person to person comments.

The biggest issue with an open IM setup, is that most sites are required to monitor IM.
FB monitors all IM, even if it's only between 2 people, for the sake of "Cyber-Bullying" and for talk of "Illegal Activities".
So if you use IM on FB, someone else HAS read ALL of your private IM's!
Just another way for Big Brother to keep an eye on things.

Skad does a great job of letting this be a truly open forum, and for the most part, allows us to self police ourselves. No need to put more work in his lap!

SHHHHHH....

I Agree 100 % ! 

8) :-X
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »

Can I join in???Love Covert Operations! (Hate Gov't Control/Big Brother ! ) .

8)

P.S." I know NOTHING" .  (Sgt. Schultz )

Wellll... Now that you mention it. There is the Atlantic City gig coming up. Pm me... shhhhhh!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 07:22:18 PM »
What a F'n crew!

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 07:24:38 PM »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()