Author Topic: Cheng Shin Tyres ???  (Read 6359 times)

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
Cheng Shin Tyres ???
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:57:43 AM »

Our super 8 50 4t has these on as standard but  am wondering what they may be like in winter.

Anyone taken a pair through the winter months etc.

I ask as we approach the darker, wetter times and we got the super 8 a bit cheaper because of a few scrapes etc possibly the Cheng Shins.

To reshod the beast is £150 the two fitted, a bit high but is it maybe a good investment ???

Many Thanks Mark.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Cheng Shin Tyres ???
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 10:35:29 AM »
..My A50 came with those tires...I rode thru rain, sleet, 20 degree - 100 degree F for over a year...They're a little slippery...I now have an Avon Viper Stryke on my front, and it sticks like glue...Kenda on the back, but that's because I hadn't found the Avon tire before I bought the Kenda...It's gonna be Avon when it's replaced...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »
I am still running the stock cheng shin tires on mine.  They are soon to be replace though, just because they are worn out!  They actually did pretty well in adverse conditions last winter.  You just have to be cautious when corning in the rain.  I would recommend that for any tire though.  They never really got loose or felt sketchy, I was fairly happy with them.  :)

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:05:48 PM »

Hi thanks Folks, did you see my other post, re the only rear fit on the super 8 is a Heidenau 66 120/80 14 supposedly very good in adverse conditions, for the front the same 66 best fit is 110/80 14, same profile etc.

Not as cheap as some as german, but get a good revue.

By what you say I think we will run the rear until its done about 2k kilometers at a guess then wap on this set.

Best Mark.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 12:11:07 AM »
I've seen other posts,re: Hiedenau, and find it hard to believe there is NO option on that tire size! I have not  looked but, I would look for the next size up for a more competitive tire. I'm NOT knocking the Hied., just thinking... options are good...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 01:45:14 AM »
Well rear wheel with slight down gearing is a the conti twist 120/70 14 but they don`t seem to have a front near match. Supposed to be good though.

Our front is fine but was told we should upgrade that when we do the back as good on the rear plus cheng shin on the front will not a happy bunny make !!!

Shame we can`t get an avon as they are really cheap and apparently very good.

Bit of a duff do as a recent bike and unusual size and only now people are coming to need a tyre so not much on offer.

Any thoughts what you could try for the rear 120/80 14 or front 100/80 14.

Best Mark.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 03:25:39 PM »
Amazon.com: PIRELLI DIABLO 120/80S-14 SCOOTER FRONT TIRE #1661400 ...    Avon Viper Stryke AM63 Scooter Tires - RevZilla Motorsports Here are 2 I found w/ google, I realize shipping from the U.S. may hurt a bit, but there are some choices...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »
Can you squeese a 120/80 14 on the 100/80 14 front rim and inside the mudgaurd etc ???

Only the conti here did a 120/70 14 rear, the viper etc were just front.

Best Mark.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:11:11 AM »
Bro... I have trace lines on my rear tire!~ I'm gonna say right here, and right now...*If it fits tune it*

Dawsman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 03:28:05 AM »
The best move you can make is to ditch the cheng shin crap and slap the Pirelli's on there ASAP! Motorcyclesuperstore.com. FREE SHIPPING! The money will be well spent. It will be like a new bike with some good rubber.

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 10:00:29 AM »
Trouble is theres no pirelli fit for those tyres 120/80 14 rear and 100/80 14 front.

I wonder if theres a 130/80 14 rear may go on or a if a 120/80 14 front but looks like a bit tight there going up 20.

Anyone with a super 8 try it yet ???

Or looks like it will ahve to be the Hiedenau`s, anyone have experiance of those, the 66.s

Thanks for the help etc.

Best Mark.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 11:57:38 AM »
I am still running the stock cheng shin tires on mine.  They are soon to be replace though, just because they are worn out!  They actually did pretty well in adverse conditions last winter.  You just have to be cautious when corning in the rain.  I would recommend that for any tire though.  They never really got loose or felt sketchy, I was fairly happy with them.  :)

..I ran my front cheng for over 34,000 km....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »
I guess the base line of all the guess work is ...ALL maunfactures have different rolling rates over 1 mile on the SAME size tire. The 120...is the width, the 80 is the height. You are asking the right questions, but it seems no-one has the definitive answer. Perhaps if you try emailing all the scoot shops you can find on the web, someone will have THE answer. Experience counts for everything! I'm a try it for myself kinda guy, and I like to find I can figure it out.

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 02:41:46 AM »
So can we sneak a 120/80 14 on to the front 100/80 14 rim ??? please.

Also if on the rear we go for the conti twist 120/70 14 how much would that down gear it, very very slightly etc, is there a formular for a % etc.

Many Thanks Mark.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 02:55:14 AM »
BRO! you are asking the GYPSY for the future! I have a 130x60 Kenda rear tire on a 2004 kymco zx/50 super fever. If you look up the recomended tire size, I'm SURE that's NOT IT! Any place you shop will give exceptions. Stop over thinking ... P.s. 120x70x12 front

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()