Author Topic: Check That Tire Pressure  (Read 4567 times)

Vision

• View Profile
Check That Tire Pressure
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:39:35 AM »
Before a ride today I checked the pressure in the tires. The shop that installed the City Grips inflated both to 26lb. The manual says to keep the front at 18 and the rear at 29. Well, after letting 8lb out of the front the bike handles much differently. Less maneuverable but more stability. I'm think the sweet spot may be around 20lb.

Anyway, it's eye opening how only a few lb of pressure can effect the ride. Keep an eye on those tires.

bluescoot125

• View Profile
Re: Check That Tire Pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:55:53 AM »
My manual for my agility 125 says 17.5 lbs for the front and 32 for the rear. However when I lowered the front to 17.5 it felt very soft. I asked the dealer and thier manual says 26 for the front. Which feels right. Tire seems firm like it should be.

bluescoot125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:59:43 AM »
Not sure what kind of scoot you have but my stock tire feel out of balance to me I've only had it for about 3 weeks dealer ride it and said it felt fine to him. Did you have the same experience with your stock tires?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 04:30:10 AM »
That's too low, the ideal pressure is up at about 35r 30f. IMHO, the recommended psi is garbage. Poor tire life and slower speeds.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:45:56 PM »
Not sure what kind of scoot you have but my stock tire feel out of balance to me I've only had it for about 3 weeks dealer ride it and said it felt fine to him. Did you have the same experience with your stock tires?

That dealer rides all sorts of "crap" scooters daily. He has nothing to compare to except the bouncy/bent/out of round crap that is everywhere in the scooter business.

I'd make them balance/re balance the tire. No excuses there at all. You know your bike He doesn't. If he holds firm on being a dick try Dyna beads or Ride On TBF (Tire Balance Fluid)

For all the rest of the posts... YES tire pressure is Very subjective, and personal. Like a Mattress at home. Everyone has a certain feel they like. Two or three pounds can make an unsafe bike safe or a safe bike unsafe.

Find an air source that you can sort of "test ride" around. Experiment. It's the only way to find your "magic number".
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:49:52 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bluescoot125

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:24:46 PM »
Thanks zombie. I'm going to take it to them when I get a chance and try to get them to balance them. How does that tire balance fluid work never heard of it?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 12:02:37 AM »
http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycles.html

I have used it for 30-40 years. It's a polymer type stuff that coats the inside of the tire. What makes this product better than the rest of them is it sort of sets like a gell, and can be peeled out of the tire.

The ONLY draw back (they do discuss this) is if the bike sits for a few months the gell can settle to the bottom of the tire. A few SLOW ridden miles, and it will go back where it is needed. I have actually peeled it out of worn tires, and placed that band into the new tire, and it works like a champ.

It's expensive but it works. It is also in both of my bikes.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

The Mantis

• 2013 Agility 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 06:10:23 PM »
I agree with Zombie, Ride on is great stuff!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 06:11:39 PM »
 ;)

MoToFaLcon

• I Fly....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
A very accurate tire pressure gauge:  60psi Motion Pro digital, accurate to ± .6psi  $100 +
WTF, i have a Ninja 650!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()