Author Topic: Proposed N.C. Moped Bill (House Bill 1145) PASSED, SENT TO GOV. FOR SIGNING  (Read 7843 times)

bluescoot125

• View Profile
I have a 125. But as far as I know 50cc have to be registered in ny. Surprised  to hear they don't have to be there. Of course ny is home of the safe act which is a f$:; in the a$$ to us law abiding citizens

kingkymco125

• View Profile
       I understand what these lawmakers are saying. Do the scooter shops sell the inexpensive Chinese scooters, or do they sell quality brands such as Kymco, SYM, Honda, and Yamaha? If one gets a scooter for less than 1k it is well known that 50cc scooter will be lucky if it last a year, or more. There saying the ones who ride the cheap bikes cannot afford an automobile, but they can afford at least $500 to a $1,000 for a small 50cc bike? Hmm. If they put another 50 bucks into registering and titling the bikes that insurance will be a burden to them? This is a bunch of crap. The insurance on these bikes per year will be less than $100. I know the people could afford this. If not, they might as well use mass transit for their transportation needs.
       Of course the 50cc bikes do not have as much horse power as the 125cc and higher bikes do. I had two 50ccc Chinese bikes before I upgraded to my current Kymco Agility 125cc bike. If the 50cc bikes are stolen without a plate of course it makes more difficult for law enforcement to recover the bike. They must rely on the vin number which makes it more difficult for the bike to be recovered.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Money grab or not I always think insurance is a good thing.  Lets be honest, we are riding a dangerous machine.  Sadly there are a lot of riders out there that don't wear helmets or other safety gear.  They don't get the proper training and are going to wreck. 

Even though of us with years of experience have gone down at least once.  It's going to happen.  In the wrong run not having a bike insurance is costing John Q Public more money.

Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

arcanum70

• View Profile
       I understand what these lawmakers are saying. Do the scooter shops sell the inexpensive Chinese scooters, or do they sell quality brands such as Kymco, SYM, Honda, and Yamaha? If one gets a scooter for less than 1k it is well known that 50cc scooter will be lucky if it last a year, or more. There saying the ones who ride the cheap bikes cannot afford an automobile, but they can afford at least $500 to a $1,000 for a small 50cc bike? Hmm. If they put another 50 bucks into registering and titling the bikes that insurance will be a burden to them? This is a bunch of crap. The insurance on these bikes per year will be less than $100. I know the people could afford this. If not, they might as well use mass transit for their transportation needs.
       Of course the 50cc bikes do not have as much horse power as the 125cc and higher bikes do. I had two 50ccc Chinese bikes before I upgraded to my current Kymco Agility 125cc bike. If the 50cc bikes are stolen without a plate of course it makes more difficult for law enforcement to recover the bike. They must rely on the vin number which makes it more difficult for the bike to be recovered.

Most of the people in these states drive the 50's because they have DUI's and have lost their licenses, and the laws there say they can drive the 50 with no license and insurance.  And, as I said in an earlier post, if these idiots were stupid enough to drink and drive in a car, you KNOW they will do it on an unlicensed, uninsured 50cc bike.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

kingkymco125

• View Profile
Here in Las Vegas it is the same thing about those that have the 50cc scooters. They think they can ride a bike because their driver license has been suspended. Speak to any law enforcement officer here in Nevada and they will tell you one still needs to have a class C driver license to even ride a 50cc scooter. When I had a small bike I constantly had people coming up to me telling me they did not to have at least a class C driver license. I told them they were wrong and that even the Nevada DMV says they need a driver license for those bikes. Technically they do not need a class M motorcycle license since those bikes are 50ccs and less. From my experience the majority of people tend to be stupid when it comes to an issue like this. They only hear what they want to hear.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

arcanum70

• View Profile
You're absolutely right.

Here in Vermont even a 50 has to be registered, insured and you have to have a class C (anything higher than a 50 you have to have your motorcycle endorsement).  But, I constantly see ads on Craigslist where people are selling a 50 saying you don't need any kind of license, some even say you don't need insurance.  The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me, even though it probably should.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()