Author Topic: Hey , wtf  (Read 2015 times)

Terrynten

• View Profile
Hey , wtf
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »
  :-\ Good n bad... The good , was only 35 ft from the garage. The bad, the 250 just stopped running. There was no sign of life at all as far as dash lights or headlight , no power at all. Checked fuses ,all good . The battery looks good. Hmmm, I'm grounded.... Big T

Terrynten

• View Profile
Re: Hey , wtf
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:06 AM »
I've had this scooter for around 4 years and its been a great machine so wow when it suddenly quit on me I was really surprised . A close buddy has a People 150 cc and for 10 years or better it has had no problems. I can't help but my scooters problem is a simple one. I was hoping someone has experienced the same issue.

TLRam1

• View Profile
Re: Hey, WTH
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:23:16 AM »
If you have no power, I would be leaning towards a battery ground/positive wire that came loose if it is not your main fuse. Not sure where to start, get the schematic and figure out whether to go out from the battery or from the ignition back to the battery to see where the power starts or stops.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:03:23 PM »
My ( now my husbands )2009 People  S 250 was doing something similar ( erratically ) for two seasons. Dealer , finally, figured out an issue w/left (rear) brake . It was acting like a kill switch , so sometimes would die when applying brake or not start when applying brake (like one is supposed to do ) on start up .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Terrynten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:09:37 PM »
Thanks for the input , that sends me in a direction. I'll post my results as soon as I know them.

TLRam1

• View Profile
Re: Hey, WTH
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:22:52 AM »
Please do.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Terrynten

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »
So, I finally got a chance to look closer at the problem of no apparent electrical power when turning on the key. I had at first looked for a fuse issue. Opened the "met in " compartment, removed the battery cover and just to side there were three fuses. Well that's makes it easy to check for a problem with those. One at a time I pulled them out and found no problem there . So removed the 'met in" (where did it get that name?) box exposing the motor and all. Pretty dam dusty in there , I do live in New Mexico and that kinda stands to reason. Anyway , saw a few electrical connecters visible and looked to make sure they were all in tight. Looking at the three fuses again , since they were now just a little more open to inspection, the 30amp one looked as if it were down into its seat deeper then the other two. Hmmm, maybe the part it plugs in to dropped to low for it to be still plugged in.....I pulled it out again , took my handy , very bright, led headlamp and put on my 275 reading glasses and had a look down in there. There was no plug in mechanism at all !
These were the spares for the fuses , where ever they were. They weren't far. Right next to the three was a small rectangular shaped box with what looked like a openable to. Cool , a bank of fuses . Wiped of the dust and the first one in the line up was a 30 amp. Got a pair on needle nose and extracted it and there was a burned fuse. Had a spare and everything. put it in and , this is great , back in business.
  This was a good chance to vac out the dusty engine compartment and what the heck check the air cleaner while I'm at it. It was terrible shape too. 
 So , here I was about to take'er into the shop but save myself a whole lotta  grief there. Terry

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 05:44:29 AM »
So it was the Main Fuse, thanks for the update.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 03:45:43 PM »
But why did the fuse blow?

Terrynten

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »
As to why the fuse may have failed, I remember putting the side stand down which kills the motor.
That may have caused the problem for some reason. Think I try to turn off the key before using the side stand as a precaution.
                                      T

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »
Nah, something else. Sidestand interrupts power to ignition, just like turning the key off, so engine won't start/run with sidestand down. Gotta be some "thin spot" in the wiring that is grounding out and popping the fuse. No doubt the fuse will blow again.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 04:11:04 AM »
What Karl said, I use my kick stand many times to cut engine before I turn off the key.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()