Author Topic: speedo not responding  (Read 1499 times)

jayocampo88

• View Profile
speedo not responding
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »
So, I realized the speedo on my grandvista isn't registering anything.
Where roughly, are the sensors located? I've gone through the handbook, and searched this forum along with the internet in general to no avail. Help please?

On that note, has anyone ever upgraded the speedo to an aftermarket one??

Thank you

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: speedo not responding
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »
The speedometer is driven by the front wheel via a rotating cable.
The cable attaches to the front wheel on the left side of the front axle where there is a small gearbox on the axle, to the left of the front wheel.
If that gearbox is not installed correctly, the speedometer won't work and neither will the odometer,
so question #1:
Does the odometer/trip meter work but not the speedometer ?

If the odometer works, then there is nothing wrong with the speedometer cable assembly.
If neither work, then you can start by inspecting the gearbox and the cable. 
The cable is a 1-part assembly,  an outer sheath that does not move, and an inner cable that rotates when the front wheel rotates.

We can talk about that after you answer question #1.

scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:22:11 PM »
^^^^^ Most likely culprit is the cable. Although I have seen a lot of the GV250 gauges go bad. But usually they glitch out then go dead. 
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

richard1958

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:24:06 PM »
I would definitely check the cable at the front wheel to ensure it is all the way in.  If that checks OK see if both the speedometer and odometer are not working.  If the whole display is off then it could be a fuse or power wire to the unit.  I had a problem where the odometer and speedometer would periodically not work.  It turned out to be a problem in the display itself so I finally had to replace it.  It was an expensive part and very hard to get to and finally replace.  That was well over a year ago and so far so good.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:34:59 AM »
I'll Vouch for that, it's a BI#$% to get that changed out!!! So many hidden screws.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

jayocampo88

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:27:42 AM »
Problem solved!!! It was the cable after all.

Thanks guys!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()