Author Topic: Honda Forza Rider Report  (Read 5101 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Honda Forza Rider Report
« on: July 27, 2014, 07:21:14 PM »
Have had a couple requests for an owner report on my Forza.
About 200 miles on the new scoot - so, keep that in mind.
And that I am coming from a 163cc, Like200i.

Pros:
The longer wheelbase, added weight, larger wheels and wider tires make for a much smoother ride than the LIKE. (some Forza owners complain about the scoot's harsh ride - I greatly suspect they are coming straight from a Buick - not from a smaller scooter. This Honda is much smoother riding than the LIKE!)
I am getting pretty close to the gas mileage of the LIKE, and have a 3 gal. tank.
With the tank, battery and engine set very low in the scoot I find the scoot to be easy to balance in spite of the extra 200 lbs. over the LIKE. I can almost stop with my feet up on this scoot - something I could not do on the LIKE.
The hand grips/handle bar is several inches above my knees (You can rotate the handlebar up, and then rotate the brake levers to suit - in 10 mins with hand tools) The handgrips on my LIKE are level with my knees.
I like the 'combined braking' in the left grip lever. The brakes are powerful!...but so are those on my LIKE!
I like the parking brake.
There is room for 2 full face, modular helmets under the seat....I've tried it.
I like the easy to read dash with  seperate fuel, temp, speedo and tach gauges, multi-function read-out dial; the oil, park brake, oil change, high beam, etc. lights.......and that the turn signal flash indicators on the dash are in my line of vision with my full face helmet on. My chin bar completely blocks my dash on my LIKE, requiring a head movement to see how fast I'm going and that I've forgotten to cancel my turn signals - not a good thing in traffic!
I like that both headlights are lit even on low beams - so you don't look like your riding around with one eye out. The lighting of the road is very good.
Turn signals are not on add-on stalks.
Fit and finish and paint seem perfect so far.
One front storage locker is very deep, has a outlet in it, and is operated by a lock-out switch, key activated from the ignition. Switches like this also open the seat and the gas flap. The other front locker is finger opened & smaller.
Ignition key hole has a cover.
The coolant level is viewed by a window in the lower body panel.
Coolant top-off, spark plug and valves access seem to be fairly mechanic friendly (Honda uses tiny shims to set the valve lash)
There is already a @200 page clear & comprehensive service manual on my desk ...shipped for $36.
I've located at least two good OEM parts on-line suppliers.
Parts prices seem very good.
The owners manual clearly states that owner servicing IS permitted! (just don't screw it up!)
I like the spin-on oil filter. My first oil change at 170 miles cost me $30 ($15 for the filter and $15 for 1.5 Qts of HP4M oil....which is used for the gear oil as well) Oil changes are at 8,000 miles, valves at 16,000 !  :) Yes, well, I'll be doing them much more often than that.  :)  I will likely extend it beyond the 600 mile intervals I do on my LIKE, but not much.
Verdict is still out on the Dunlops as I corner like a senior on a scooter and I haven't ridden in a down-pour, yet.
I like that I got out the door for @$750 less than a lot of markets.
There are 4 Honda scooter dealers within an hour of me.

Cons:
Ther silly 28" seat height is taking some time to get used to(my LIKE is built up to about 34")
The dumb back rest is gonna go to the floor of the seat ulpholsterer as soon as I can afford it. I'll have him raise my seat as well. Japan is already selling custom seats for the Forza - I may look into that.
I very much miss the huge flat floor of the LIKE. I have to mount this scoot like a bike - which makes the idea of a top case questionable. I'd be kicking the snot out of it.
Mirrors are too short.  Extenders are on my desk.

Honda sells a taller wind screen - $125. But I'm not a fan of any wind screen.

Problems so far:
I thought the gas gauge was broken....but it just took awhile before it started showing that I'd used any fuel! It is easier to fuel my LIKE.

Like most new scooter owners - I am very happy with my purchase of the 2014 Honda Forza / NSS300.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:27:13 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
Re: Honda Forza Rider Report
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:45:12 PM »
Beautiful picture you took there.  I'm a little jealous.  :)

Your description sounds a lot like the Downtown.

At first I wanted the Forza because I love Honda products.  It wasn't going to be available for several months so I bought the DT300I and I really do enjoy it.  When I went back to the dealer to finally see the Forza, like you, I thought the seat was way to low.  I never thought about it, but now that I look at your picture, I see that the passthrough for your feet is somewhat higher than the DT300i but I don't think it would be a problem to get your leg over that, however, I know I'd never be able to throw my leg over the top of the seat to get on it and I'm tall. The DTI300i gas gage is like that too.  It doesn't move for the first hundred miles or so, then seems to go quickly.

Have fun with it.  It's a beauty.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »
Beautiful picture you took there.  I'm a little jealous.  :)

Your description sounds a lot like the Downtown.

At first I wanted the Forza because I love Honda products.  It wasn't going to be available for several months so I bought the DT300I and I really do enjoy it.  When I went back to the dealer to finally see the Forza, like you, I thought the seat was way to low.  I never thought about it, but now that I look at your picture, I see that the passthrough for your feet is somewhat higher than the DT300i but I don't think it would be a problem to get your leg over that, however, I know I'd never be able to throw my leg over the top of the seat to get on it and I'm tall. The DTI300i gas gage is like that too.  It doesn't move for the first hundred miles or so, then seems to go quickly.

Have fun with it.  It's a beauty.
Thanks Maggie, and I've heard of lot of good things about your scooter, as well!
Rode my first Honda when I was 18 in SoCal.
Bought 3 more before heading off to Vietnam (one was stolen) just because I'm a frugal kinda guy (first car was a new VW beetle)
If all goes well, I plan to go into retirement yrs with this scoot.
A lot of Kymcos can go the distance, too.
I'm thinking that Kymco may be the most popular brand in the States.
Thre's a good reason for that, I think.
Ride safe.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »
Moved up from the Like too? I love my big wheel scoot amd i bet you'll like yours too. Why the switch? You were the bigest Like fan.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 04:58:19 PM »
Congrats that's a fine scoot!

It was on my short list when a bought the Downtown. Got to put almost 500 miles on one and its a wonderful ride. Enjoy.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:53:22 AM »
Moved up from the Like too? I love my big wheel scoot amd i bet you'll like yours too. Why the switch? You were the bigest Like fan.
1) Always wanted a Honda.
2) Running issues with the LIKE that dealer not able to fix.
3) Wanted a bigger scoot for wife & I to ride some Ohio back roads.
4) Poor dealer back-up in this area for the Kymco - even though it is still under warranty.
5) 4 Honda scooter dealers in this area.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 08:08:10 PM »
I'm kinda of the same mindset for when I (hopefully) can afford to move up from the 150 next summer. I only have one Kymco dealer in my area that is convenient to get to, and I've not been impressed with them. So I may jump ship myself when the time comes.
Unless I decide to get a bigger Kymco, like a 300gt or a Downtown, in which case I could do the longer trip to the Kymco dealer in St Louis.
Guess I'll figure it out when the time comes!  :)

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »
I'm envious.

I SOOOO wanted a Forza, but couldn't get financing.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:39:01 PM »
So what is the MPG on the Like you have??

What size engine does this Honda have??
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:41 AM »
snip

What size engine does this Honda have??

The Forza     279cc / 24.5hp and 422lbs
This DT300   298cc /  29 hp and 367lbs

Comparatively, the Downtown 300i is the more powerful machine and it is noticeable when riding.
That said they are both fine machines. I think the Honda is smoother and has better brakes. I came close to buying to Honda but didn't want the extra weight. These crip legs can't hold it up. Lol

I also don't care for the lack of respect that scooters get at my local Honda dealer. They draw straws to see who has to work on them. They have admitted as much to me when I brought the old Goldwing in.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 01:19:27 AM »
The Forza     279cc / 24.5hp and 422lbs
This DT300   298cc /  29 hp and 367lbs

Comparatively, the Downtown 300i is the more powerful machine and it is noticeable when riding.
That said they are both fine machines. I think the Honda is smoother and has better brakes. I came close to buying to Honda but didn't want the extra weight. These crip legs can't hold it up. Lol

I also don't care for the lack of respect that scooters get at my local Honda dealer. They draw straws to see who has to work on them. They have admitted as much to me when I brought the old Goldwing in.

Be Big,
AMAC
My guys draw straws whenever any work needs doing. Then they do it again, until it is time for their break, or a road test.
After riding my LIKE home from work today, I told my wife this evening that I am so glad I have a Honda in the garage, and not the Piaggio. I do not need any more drama in my life.
I had a relaxing hour adjusting the mirrors and the head lights on the Forza....
I fall asleep looking thru the Forza service manual. (its nice to have a paper manual!) The owner's manual is tiny and made from Bible paper. The service manual is a nice 4lb book!
I used to get up an hour early to ride my LIKE before work. Now I'm sneaking out of bed at 4:30AM (2 hrs before work starts, 3 miles away. I take the l o n g way to work!)
Stig
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:23:19 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Momma bear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 01:29:18 AM »
Beautiful Scoot!
Good dealer support is very important. Honda products are great I'm sure you'll have many miles of fun on it. You and the Mrs should have picnic rides the break is a nice rest for the butt.
People300i

EricH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 02:07:57 AM »
My guys draw straws whenever any work needs doing. Then they do it again, until it is time for their break, or a road test.
After riding my LIKE home from work today, I told my wife this evening that I am so glad I have a Honda in the garage, and not the Piaggio. I do not need any more drama in my life.
I had a relaxing hour adjusting the mirrors and the head lights on the Forza....
I fall asleep looking thru the Forza service manual. (its nice to have a paper manual!) The owner's manual is tiny and made from Bible paper. The service manual is a nice 4lb book!
I used to get up an hour early to ride my LIKE before work. Now I'm sneaking out of bed at 4:30AM (2 hrs before work starts, 3 miles away. I take the l o n g way to work!)
Stig

Amen to not having a Piaggio in the garage!

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 02:00:35 PM »
Almost a year after I traded up from a PCX to a Forza, Kymco's UK importer Masco brought the ABS equipped Downtown to the UK.
Would I have bought it rather than the Forza?
Probably, depending on what kind of a trade-in deal was available on my PCX.
The big advantage of the Downtown is the screw and locknut valve adjusters.
Just cbf'd doing shims myself so it will be a dealer job, fortunately only required every 16,000 miles.
The service interval on the Forza is 8,000 miles which is really good.
So far I have done nearly 11000 miles averaging 78mpg (imperial) so no complaints there, but I have had to get the rear brake disc and pads changed under warranty because the caliper stuck and warped the disc.
Stupid place to put the caliper right beside the exhaust.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 09:11:42 PM »
Good report, Stig! Really nice looking scoot! Hey, it is a Honda! It will be around and RUNNING 20 years from now. Lookit at all the "cafe' racers" built from Hondas and the builders had an easy cosmetic job on the engines/transmissions since most of them started and ran once they got clean gas and oil. It's a Honda. It's all good!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()