Author Topic: [SOLVED] What does this look like to you?  (Read 4770 times)

wkreps

• View Profile
[SOLVED] What does this look like to you?
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:40:21 PM »
What do you think happened here?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:24:48 PM by wkreps »
Wayne

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: What does this look like to you?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »
can't imagine that they make these scooters so that they can't run WOT
Why tempt fate and significantly enhance the odds of piston blow-by venting excessive oil mist from the valve cover?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:12:26 AM »
I get the same stuff , and I don't ever run WOT.
Empty it every week or two, or 6 (as I do).
Not sure what it is or where it comes from...but every scoot has this vent/drain hose it seems...and it is NOT a worry.
A veteran scooterista will chime in with where it comes from.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 04:14:25 AM »
That's oil mixed with water mixed with gas mixed with ethanol. It's a nasty smelling blend for sure. Normal buildup, that hose separates the vented air from oil and gas for the PCV. If you let it build up too long it can spill into the airbox and dirty the filter.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:50:18 AM »
After viewing Wayne's video I decided to check the tube on my scoot.  Nothing came out when I took off the plug, and looking at the tube it looked clean (it was a clear light pink).  Is this accumulation in the tube something that comes after a lot of usage (I have 750 miles on mine)?  Is lack of anything in this tube a problem? 
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:06:36 PM »
That's oil mixed with water mixed with gas mixed with ethanol. It's a nasty smelling blend for sure. Normal buildup, that hose separates the vented air from oil and gas for the PCV. If you let it build up too long it can spill into the airbox and dirty the filter.
B&L,
? PCV ? Positive Crankcase Valve ?
Is that the piece that all of the hoses come into at the front of the airbox? How does this valve get air (from crankcase vent, right?), gas (from where?) and oil (from where?) to that single point and what is the purpose?

I'm wondering if it stems from the original factory fill of gear oil. It is the only time I've had gear oil from the gear oil vent in the airbox. I know the liquid has been in there a long time (like maybe even since it was new) but I just got around to looking at it.
Wayne

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 03:21:38 PM »
Positive crankcase ventilation, oil eventually gets in the from the breather (basically an open tube from the valve cover, gas gets in there from carb kickback. The Brewster is designed to separate liquids from air and it ends up in a little sponge filter where that clear hose connects to the airbox. Over filed gear oil will end up in there too. Also, there shouldn't be much in there at 750 miles.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:53:31 PM »
Yeah, I get the same stuff in mine from that drain tube. It's there just so the junk has a place to go so it doesn't end up cycling back into the engine. I open the plug and drain out the tiny bit of gunk each time I do my oil changes to keep it from backing up. No Prob!!

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 03:01:33 AM »
some one called it the puke tube,  I clean mine about 10,000 miles , the most i have seen in it is 1 "that was the first one, the last time was about 1/2 " at 25,000 miles,. 300i downtown

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] What does this look like to you?
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
Thanks everybody. I certainly appreciate the knowledge sharing around here.
Wayne

MoToFaLcon

• I Fly....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 09:37:36 PM »
Wondered what that mystery tube was myself. Now i know!! Its a garbage disposal lol!!   ::)
WTF, i have a Ninja 650!!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »
Does anyone know what the small tube or hose next to this one is? I have a lose hose that hangs right next to this one. It is black and as far as I can tell, nothing has come out of it. Ideas?

This is the drain hose for the carb bowl. Allows you to drain the gas out of the carb for the winter. Nothing should EVER come out of that unless you open the float bowl drain!!

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
Wayne,

How many miles were on your scooter when you checked the hose?
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »
Wayne,

How many miles were on your scooter when you checked the hose?
I'm not really sure but I not check it about every other oil change or just whenever I think about it. There's not been that much in there. As easy as laying a napkin on the garage floor and opening the hose end. Let it drain , cap back up and toss the napkin.
Wayne

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()