Author Topic: Gas tank capacity.  (Read 2701 times)

GBBBiker

• View Profile
Gas tank capacity.
« on: August 01, 2014, 04:47:46 PM »
  :)When my gas indicater starts to flash I fill up. I usually put in 1.5 or 1.6 gal. My owners manual says I have a 2.6 gal tank. Does this mean that I have a 1 gal reserve. That seams to be a large reserve for such a small tank. I would like to know how far I can push the reserve. :-\

I am averaging around 70mpg riding the back roads. Love my Kymco GrandVista 250cc.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Gas tank capacity.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »
Best way to tell, carry a gallon can with you and drive tell she's dry. A good practice to know how far you can take it in emergencies.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

GBBBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »
Good idea B&L. Is does appear that I could go a little longer befor filling up.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:48:51 PM »
The theoretical fuel capacity on the G/V250 is 2.4gallons

The safe real-life capacity is 2.2gallons; I have done it

It is NEVER a good idea to run ANY vehicle totally dry.  I am not going into all the bad things that can/could happen. Believe me (and all technical worshop bulletins): JUST DO NOT DO IT! Period. NEVER, and for ANY vehicle, unless you like to gamble with your money and safety...

Always calculate your average fuel consumption and theoretical calculated range on 2.2 Gallons of fuel;  e.g. = max 140 miles @ 64mpg. 
Adjust/default to lower fuel economy when "expected"  (lots of city or mountain riding, or "two-up"; refill earlier.  (PS: I truly stop at a gas station at around 120-130 miles on the odometer; never a problem.

IF in a situation you can not find a gas station in 120-130 miles on the odometer and need "extended range", reduce speed immediately to max 50mph indicated, with only max. 1/4 throttle acceleration  This bumps your fuel economy for this part of the section over 70mpg, like 74-77mpg. So e.g. 0.2 gallons left in the tank will give you about another 15 miles range to look for a gas station....  and you better know you'll find one or search for help or an alternative solution.

Be "intelligent" and avoid under all circumstances to run any vehicle dry; too many bad things that "can/could" happen.  Been there, done that, speaking out of experience, will not repeat...

:)When my gas indicater starts to flash I fill up. I usually put in 1.5 or 1.6 gal. My owners manual says I have a 2.6 gal tank. Does this mean that I have a 1 gal reserve. That seams to be a large reserve for such a small tank. I would like to know how far I can push the reserve. :-\

I am averaging around 70mpg riding the back roads. Love my Kymco GrandVista 250cc.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »
Carb bike nothing bad happens if you run tell it quits. No damage whatsoever. It will take extra time for the vacuum fuel pump to get gas back to the carb that's about it
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »
Carb bike "mostly" nothing happens, but, not always., It is still not a good idea to do it on purpose. Dirt, water accumulated on the bottom of the tank, and running out of gas "at the wrong time" are just a few that can cause running problems after re-start, and endanger the rider...

Carb bike nothing bad happens if you run tell it quits. No damage whatsoever. It will take extra time for the vacuum fuel pump to get gas back to the carb that's about it
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:51:02 PM by windwheeler »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 10:12:57 PM »
Here is my two centavos: running dry in a carb machine GUARANTEES the mixture will get progressively leaner until flame-out. I am guessing EFI will just sputter while leaning on the way to flame-out. Really bad form and should be avoided, running the tanks dry. Doing it once to find the bottom might not be too bad but working up to the bottom with the spare gallon in tow is better, in my opinion.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 04:48:58 AM »
Carb bike "mostly" nothing happens, but, not always., It is still not a good idea to do it on purpose. Dirt, water accumulated on the bottom of the tank, and running out of gas "at the wrong time" are just a few that can cause running problems after re-start, and endanger the rider...

I agree, but with a for stroke especially liquid cooled the lean condition for a short while will not damage anything. Two stroke would be not advised. And avoid wot and di the test in a neighborhood or away from traffic (don't purposely run your bike dry on the interstate). A good inline filter picks up the tank crud, I would rather catch it in the filter and replace the filter anyway.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 07:04:20 PM »
>>> I would rather catch it in the filter and replace the filter anyway. <<<

Agree, but just not ALL at once!  ;-)  If it has to come through it will, over time...

I agree, but with a for stroke especially liquid cooled the lean condition for a short while will not damage anything. Two stroke would be not advised. And avoid wot and di the test in a neighborhood or away from traffic (don't purposely run your bike dry on the interstate). A good inline filter picks up the tank crud, I would rather catch it in the filter and replace the filter anyway.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()