Author Topic: I wish Kymco would update the Like 200i  (Read 2533 times)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
I wish Kymco would update the Like 200i
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:43:47 PM »
I wish Kymco would update the Like to fix some of the complaints people have with them starting with the seat and headlight glare. Is this wishful thinking on my part?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: I wish Kymco would update the Like 200i
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 12:32:02 AM »
I wish Kymco would update the Like to fix some of the complaints people have with them starting with the seat and headlight glare. Is this wishful thinking on my part?
I think so....unless that LIKE is vastly more popular world-wide than I think it is.
I think they'll just discontinue it and start up something else.
Who knows, maybe it will become an in-house classic  and they'll keep cranking them out for a long time.
Too many Asians find them just peachy as they are.
A slight redo on the leg sheild could get those turn signals out to meet USA specs.
Frankly not sure what they could do about the seat...it is what's underneath that causes that lousy pan shape. They can't just add foam - the short clients wouldn't be able to touch!
It will be interesting to watch.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

200i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 01:16:23 AM »
It's certainly a short person scoot.  I actually sit on one in Key West prior to buying and thought it was uncomfortable, but still convinced myself I could make it work.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »
It's certainly a short person scoot.  I actually sit on one in Key West prior to buying and thought it was uncomfortable, but still convinced myself I could make it work.
It is a great scooter!   Just needs a little work on that seat. There are motorcycle seat recovering videos to help you along. And, hey when you get ready to do some servicing on it you will be so pleased you bought this LIKE! Honda PCX guys and Vespa guys keep convincing themselves that the valves and spark plugs are just fine....because it is a career getting to them on their scoots.
Stig,  sitting on a stone wall having coffee and looking at the sunrise over his new scooter......
Storms all around but not here, yet. Will go home and WaxShop Superglaze this baby...and just hit 600 miles so my "first oil change" light is on. (don't tell Honda, but this will be its second oil change....got that delivery oil out days ago)
Stig
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:29:14 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

jmwood1968

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »
OMG Stig im glad you said that about the valves on the PCX. I had been thinking about getting one. I watched the utube video on the valves on the PCX. It looks like you almost have to take the scooter completely apart to get to the valves. It would take me a week to put it all back together an probably loose some bolts in the process.

Kymco S8 150
Kymco Like 200i
Vespa PX150
Honda Fury
Honda Sabre

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
You shouldn't hardly ever have to do the valves on those Hondas, bucket and shim. Don't know the interval on the PCX or Forza but on metros and rucks first valve check is at 16,000 miles, and no that's not a typo!!!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

dzeetz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
I would be willing to pay for a less confining, roomier US market-targeted seat.  I realize that custom work is realistically my only practical option.  I use the electrical tape trick for the headlight glare, but too often forget to remove it later and end up with the sticky residue.
With enough time, you'll get there.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »
I would be willing to pay for a less confining, roomier US market-targeted seat.  I realize that custom work is realistically my only practical option.  I use the electrical tape trick for the headlight glare, but too often forget to remove it later and end up with the sticky residue.

Use gaffer tape. Doesn't leave a sticky residue like other rubber based adhesives.

Gaffer tape is a strong, tough, cotton cloth pressure-sensitive tape with strong adhesive properties. It is used in theater, film and television productions as well as during live performances and any other kind of stage work. While related to duct tape, it differs in that it can be removed cleanly because it uses a synthetic petroleum-based adhesive rather than a natural rubber adhesive.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »

Scooter makers do almost nothing to target the US market. We get the hand-me-downs form Europe and Asia, where people buy scooters.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »
OMG Stig im glad you said that about the valves on the PCX. I had been thinking about getting one. I watched the utube video on the valves on the PCX. It looks like you almost have to take the scooter completely apart to get to the valves. It would take me a week to put it all back together an probably loose some bolts in the process.

OK,OK calm down!
These Honda PCX's have an amazing following across the globe for a lot of reasons!
It's the #1 selling scooter in a lot of countries.
The new '15 has removed the hated seat hump and added a few new tricks.
I do think it is darn silly to design a scoot which is so hard to service - no matter the service intervals (PCX's do have the common valve adjusters - like our scoots, in fact.) - but Vespa and Honda, among others, have done this and are getting away with it -people still love them and buy them.
I guess it's a Zen like thing....doing your PCX valve check (some do it at the 600 mile service - others have nearly 20K miles on them without checking! - they are often told to wait for the engine to display various sickly symptoms before servicing the valves.
Many owners find that the valves do need adjusting when they check them.....whenever that is.)
Own a great little scooter - and you pay your dues when you feel it is time to check your valve clearances.
It sure works for a lot of folks.
My Honda Forza NSS300 service schedule says the valves are inspected for the first time at 16,000 miles. (this requires removing the under-seat box - involving rather more than the 6 fastners of my LIKE200i - but then after a couple years of riding I'd probably want to look in there anyway! I don't know about you guys - but I like to look at my engine pretty often. Easy to do on the LIKE. This Forza also has a neat little hatch to get at the spark plug - easy-smeezy)
Bottom line is: doing the PCX valves is crazy involved - but it IS a proven, great, urban scooter. Some even go touring Europe on theirs.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:58:15 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()