Author Topic: Fiddles and Boss`es etc  (Read 3509 times)

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
Fiddles and Boss`es etc
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:12:06 PM »
Well today we fitted the 4.7 rollers, crikey its revvy now so may think about 5.0 grams, but its a great improvement on hills.

Did the CDi and popped in an 85 jet as well.

Also while we were doing the rollers noticed the variator boss has a 2mm rim around on toothed sprocket end, that if you pushed it over when holding the variator went in to the roller side and sat away flush.

I thought the unrestriced boss was all the way smooth, looks as if the belt would run a bit on this in low gear ???

Odd thing on the workshop manual downloaded  from this site it shows this boss 2mm rim on the exploded view as the other way round ??? ie on the roller side.

Then on a shot futher down mentions this rim on the sprocket side, as I say it will seat all the way in but I think I would prefer the smooth one.

Anyway I went and rode up a 4 mile quite steep hill my son had tackled on it and only did a quite feeble feeling 15mph, but today although I`m a bit heavier than him I rode up at 25-32 as it undulates a bit, certainly although going rev happy it felt far more tollerable though still behind a 2 stroke.

Also tackled a 1.3 hill it just about conked on before and it went up at 15 feeling fairly good then went to about 22 further up.

Also between 30 and 40 just feels more comfy power wise and seem to zip a little better.

Not sure what the fuel wil be like now with the mods, we shall see etc. Its below normal useage anyway round here as one long set of climbs.

Anyway thanks for all advices etc, if anyone has any thoughts on the variator boss with the 2mm rim ridge I`b be interested to hear if its usual.

Best, Thanks, Mark.

PS if we do still need the smooth unrestricted boss I went 45 a couple of times for a few secs and 50 for a second or two downhill, do you think it will be OK.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:27:02 PM by HillsOhNo »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Fiddles and Boss`es etc
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:25:48 PM »
..sounds like you got it going on...The boss should be smooth...if completely unrestricted...Wish you coulda taken a pic of it...they're worth a thousand words...

..everythings sounds normal, with what you're describing..you're only gonna get so much outta a 3 horsepower engine...And the Agility 4t will never match most of the 2-strokes on quickness...But it's so smoooth...lol..

Happy Scootin'!

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »
Hi well its improved on the hills but I think on here as sugessted they are too light as too revvy now, great on the hills but on the flat etc it gets a bit sort of bogged down a bit sort of fuel blocked feeling as soon as you ease off the throttle a bit and less free flowing if you will. Gear change etc is less smooth.

The scooter place chap had suggested 4.5,s so I went for 4.7s.

Anyway we got the smooth variator and washer needed today and tomorrow are putting it in with some 5.1 weights for now.

But I think as suggested on here we should try the heavier 3 x small springs on the clutch 2000 rpm,s ??? with say 5.5 rollers ???

Does that mean it will  set off with a bit more zipp but also change down quicker on hills please ???

Any thoughts best Mark.

We`ve done 100 miles with it over revving a bit do you think it will be OK ???
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:05:53 PM by HillsOhNo »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:13:47 PM »
My understanding is that the 3 small springs only control your "launch", maybe the first 30ft of take-off.  I don't think they will have any effect as you encounter a hill.  The main spring controls how quickly you downshift as you decelerate, i.e. slowing to make a turn.  The transmission will have downshifted out of top gear so you can accelerate out of the turn quickly.  I think this will have the same effect when you encounter a hill.

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 06:22:35 PM »
So in that sense we could do with 5,5 gram rollers and a stronger ??? main clutch spring please.

Any suggestons on the right one please.

Will that mean a quicker down shift on hills to keep the revs up please ???

Many Thanks Mark.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 06:37:13 PM »
So in that sense we could do with 5,5 gram rollers and a stronger ??? main clutch spring please.

Any suggestons on the right one please.

Will that mean a quicker down shift on hills to keep the revs up please ???

Many Thanks Mark.

..that's exactly what I have with my malossi variator setup...the clutch spring was @ 2 inches longer than the stock spring....

..I weigh @ 230 lbs, and rarely have any trouble climbing hills..
peace

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »
The malossi main clutch springs are color coded. You probably need either the white - reinforced, or the yellow - +60% (I think)  Dang manual in italian!  Anyways, I would probably just try the white one first.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 07:25:36 PM »
..yeah, mine's white...

;D

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »
H Chaps so in that sense have I got this right, as now we are better on hills though a bit too revvy generally, and we suffer higher up etc, ease off you get a drop or and  less smooth ride etc on the flat and so on.

Will the 5.1 rollers take us a bit further away from possibly damging the engine.

I was told they were 6 grams as std by kymco but they felt very heavy so maybe higher ??

Anyone know the weight on the agility and super 8 4t usually thanks ???

So with the white spring popped in the standard clutch with say the 5.5 rollers if 6 was std we will get back to nice smooth riding, and less dippy doings and gear naffy,s if you will, that will all be as nice and smooth again but we will get the clucth now just sensing to go down when there is more hilly load if you will, not just backing off the throttle.

Many Thanks Mark.

PS do you think it will have coped with the bit of possible over revving ???

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 07:43:46 PM »
..I'm, pretty sure you've done no damage...i hope..

..The 5.5s, white spring, stock clutch assembly otherwise..

..new standard belt, but I have the malossi variator...

..I'm pleased with what I have...

;D

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »
Hi is getting the clutch out and the spring in an OK job, we managed OK with the variator, in fact the hardest job was getting the cover back on with the gasket in place, what a chuff on etc.

You know if you lived in a much flatter area and had the 4t this little bike would be superb.

Best Mark.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 10:35:20 AM »
...you will need a clutch spring compressor tool to replace the main spring...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 10:48:11 PM »
I had to take apart my clutch to do the small springs and I didn't need a compressor to get it back together.  I don't know about a stiffer spring you might.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 10:55:59 AM »
I had to take apart my clutch to do the small springs and I didn't need a compressor to get it back together.  I don't know about a stiffer spring you might.

..I might not have needed one...i dunno..never tried without using it...

..it was my first time and I was scared... 8)

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 12:32:58 AM »
Better to have the tools when you don't need them, rather than not have them when you do! ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()