Author Topic: dealer reply to LIKE engine problem  (Read 3700 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
dealer reply to LIKE engine problem
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:26:20 PM »
Recently received this comment from a respected scooter dealer in SoCal regarding the onset of my LIKE200i moderate speed 'stumble'. His LIKE has developed the same "stumble at 20-30mph".
He attributes this to the interaction between the too-small injector and now-weakening fuel pump.
Hmmm.
There are a number of LIKEs on the road with more miles than mine (7000+) that have not reported these issues.
As some have suggested, if a new injector solves this issue -I will install an in-line fuel filter to forestall another clogged injector.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: dealer reply to LIKE engine problem
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 11:17:59 PM »
Sounds like it could be a possibility, I would not however install a fuel filter inline on the pressure side. This might reduce fuel pressure to the injector. Pull out the pump and check the screen, it is a fine mesh and stuff should not get through it unless it has a hole.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:28:08 AM »
Sounds like it could be a possibility, I would not however install a fuel filter inline on the pressure side. This might reduce fuel pressure to the injector. Pull out the pump and check the screen, it is a fine mesh and stuff should not get through it unless it has a hole.
Yeah, I wondered about that....surely those little filters don't increase the load on the fuel pump...or do they? If I promise to keep a clean one in there?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:35:50 AM »
It might not, you could test it with a cheap fuel pressure tester
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 04:06:07 PM »
You can put an inline fuel filter on a FI system, all cars and trucks have them.
But I wouldn't use the same cheap plastic filters that we have on our carbed scoots.
Automobiles use a stronger metal bodied fuel filter to handle the pressure from the fuel pump. If you can find one small enough to fit in the scoot, it should work.
I just don't think the cheap plastic ones would handle the added fuel pressure, and may crack open.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
Sounds to me like he gave you some BS, off the top of his head answer to get ya off the phone.......

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 02:10:37 AM »
Sounds to me like he gave you some BS, off the top of his head answer to get ya off the phone.......

Karl
Naw Karl,
I think he is a pretty straight shooter.
He's got a good rep with his scooters and his shop out there.
He's guessing this is symptoms from the injector....and maybe that aging fuel pump feeding it.
Although, it runs so good at idle and at full throttle I'm having trouble reasoning much of anything out here.
As for starting...it fires instantly at the push of the start button - always has - a quicker start than even my new EFI'd Honda.
Have taken a 3-day w/e so will fit the new OEM injector and take a look at the fuel pump and its filter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 04:19:30 AM »
"and maybe that aging fuel pump feeding it."
 :o :o :o

I don't get it... how old is that "aging" feul pump??

My ride is over two years old... is my feul pump "ancient/obsolete" ??
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »
Stig if you put a new injector in and it solves your issue please let us know. Just like a car you should treat 1/4 tank like E. The only thing to cool a fuel pump is being submersed in the gas and the flow through it......from experience and a lot of mechanics concur with that idea. Some may not. It also helps to not pickup any micro debri in the bottom of the tank.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 06:01:52 AM »
Something about the pump may be the culprit doesn't seem right. The pump is designed to give a constant rate of pressure. That being the case why would the stumble occur primarily at a certain speed range? Why not at all speeds?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 03:28:25 PM »
Something about the pump may be the culprit doesn't seem right. The pump is designed to give a constant rate of pressure. That being the case why would the stumble occur primarily at a certain speed range? Why not at all speeds?
Yeah, makes me wonder, too. That's part of the reason I'm not going the $200 pump route.
I'm very nearly at the point of thinking I am not capable of fixing this scooter.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:34:47 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »
Looks like this little Scooter is on its way to an economic write off...  :-\  Sure, sad to think so, but...
Too many parts involved which might be the cause.
The only way is to bring it to the dealer, give him 1 or 2 more chances to fix it under warranty and then give the scooter back, step back from contract, ask for a refund. Should be possible, as this is a major fault/issue, nothing minor stuff.
Even a good garage and a good mechanic will probably need hours or days to search and investigate. Who is going to pay for all these coming labour costs?
Nowadays thats in nobody´s interest. Neither in dealer´s nor Kymco´s. And for sure not in Stig´s.

A diagnostic tool is an absolute must have to at least check the other parameters of the throttle body, the Sensors and the ECU.
Your dealer´s Service Dep. MUST have or at least organize such a diagnostic tool and use it. Kymco should and must help.

Probably you better now get in contact with the Kymco Main Importer USA and ask them what to do and how to continue.

Continuing by guessing and trying and replacing this or that on your own, or asking some street guys every now and then doesn´t make any sense any longer I think.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »
Stig- So sorry that it's come to this point. The dealer should have the expertise and equipment to find the fault and restore your Like to full operation. You have stated more than once that they don't take some of their products seriously. That is a problem for Kymco USA. At least you now have the Forza as transport and fun. Your dedication to servicing your scoot is well known and appreciated on this forum. You have helped a lot of us to better understand our scoots. Thanks for that! ;)

...Len
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 08:43:20 PM »
Have you reported this problem to the DOT?   There has been widespread similar issues with Yamaha C3 fuel pumps and pump seals.   To this day you can get yamaha to pick up the tab on a replacement by stating the safety issue. 
Less chit chat, more riding.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 09:20:13 PM »
Stig- So sorry that it's come to this point. The dealer should have the expertise and equipment to find the fault and restore your Like to full operation. You have stated more than once that they don't take some of their products seriously. That is a problem for Kymco USA. At least you now have the Forza as transport and fun. Your dedication to servicing your scoot is well known and appreciated on this forum. You have helped a lot of us to better understand our scoots. Thanks for that! ;)

...Len
Len, Robo, Trout, CrossB, Bett&, 200i, Blues, et al ~~
 I appreciate you guys for tossing out ideas...really.
I'm going to give the new fuel pump a try.....
From the beginning I've been thinking fuel delivery or ignition...or water passing through the fuel line...Bam, Bam !...big stutter just like water drops passing through. But I could not make sense of the fact that it starts fine, idles fine, WOT fine, 40>55MPH fine. Stumbles in the 20's and 30's at a cruise.
Well, I can take my time...and when I run out of ideas it will be back to the dealer to ask my salesman to take short 25mph test rides on it over 2 or 3 days until it shows the symptoms. IF I can get him to witness the issue I think they will be forced to fix it. Maybe not.
And, unless I have a real mechanical vision from an Angel, I won't be buying any more parts.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()