Author Topic: 18,000 mile CVT belt  (Read 4029 times)

mi wii

• View Profile
18,000 mile CVT belt
« on: August 09, 2014, 02:45:25 AM »
replacing it, obviously

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Re: 18,000 mile CVT belt
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:34:49 AM »
In my opinion, and out of EXPERIENCE to be SAFE the belt should be replaced on a Grand Vista between 14,000 to 16,000 miles, depending how hard it is run, hard/fast runs obviously earlier recommended.  Otherwise one ends up with what is shown.   

A blow out of a belt is no fun, it's quite a mess in the entire variator housing that  needs then to be meticulously be cleaned out.  Replace BEFORE this could happen.

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »
Sorry for the stupid question, but people almost always state the miles/kilometers on a belt. But no one is considering age. Why? I guess these contain some kind of rubber or other organic material that ages unrelated to the m/km on the scoot. (No UV reaches it but it gets heated...) It may be that a belt has only 8000 miles on it but maybe 4-5 years old... Maybe I'm wrong...
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

mi wii

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
This was the original belt on a 2006.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »
nushipwright you have a good point, even though my guts feeling tell me it is not a huge issue being in a enclosed environment away from the UV rays of the sun. 

What needs to be done is a periodical visual inspection, and I bet, if mi wii who writes here had inspected the belt at 15,000 miles he would have seen the writing on the wall.  Also, there is a minimum width of (I think) 20mm when it needs to be replaced, or, when that gets close to it, its better to replace the belt than wait. 

Others think it would be best to replace the belt at 10,000 miles on the Grand Vista, certainly on the very safe side, I will probably replace mine every 13-15,000 miles, that is below factory recommendations, and should be still on the safe side.

Sorry for the stupid question, but people almost always state the miles/kilometers on a belt. But no one is considering age. Why? I guess these contain some kind of rubber or other organic material that ages unrelated to the m/km on the scoot. (No UV reaches it but it gets heated...) It may be that a belt has only 8000 miles on it but maybe 4-5 years old... Maybe I'm wrong...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:16:10 PM by windwheeler »

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
Sorry for the stupid question, but people almost always state the miles/kilometers on a belt. But no one is considering age. Why?

That's not a stupid question.  Age matters.  If anyone on this forum did a visual inspection and a belt was seriously cracked from age we would replace it regardless of miles.  However, in general, the belt is protected from sun and elements and I see many scooters for sale on craigslist with well under 5K miles - basically the scoot was relegated to an expensive 'toy' so in that case if the belt looks and works good why replace it just due to age.  My scoot had 2600 mi on it and I replaced it at about 10K miles even though it looked good and will keep it and take it with me if I take a road trip as a backup. 

Good question, good point.

-Paul
PaulC

mi wii

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 02:46:37 AM »
When I had my scooter in at about 15,000 miles, to replace the rear tire, I asked the service guy to check the belt and brakes. He said all were in good shape.

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:43:31 PM »
You did the right thing.  He should have recommended replacement even if it looked ok because 15K is a lot of miles on the belt.  You can download the owner's manual and service manual and use that as a guide for when things should be done.  Some things like the coolant and final drive fluid are way too often. 

See my attached Excel chart with service intervals converted from metric to english units.
PaulC

MN_Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 10:02:47 PM »
I know I'm posting on an old thread, but would like to clarify for the record. Are you guys converting to miles for all the service limit numbers you're listing on this thread or reading the actual KILOMETERS that (to my knowledge) all Kymco Odometers use?

You did the right thing.  He should have recommended replacement even if it looked ok because 15K is a lot of miles on the belt.  You can download the owner's manual and service manual and use that as a guide for when things should be done.  Some things like the coolant and final drive fluid are way too often. 

See my attached Excel chart with service intervals converted from metric to english units.
2007 Kymco Agility 50
Stock other than Dr. Pulley Sliders and derestricted from the dealer.

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »
I know I'm posting on an old thread, but would like to clarify for... actual KILOMETERS that (to my knowledge) all Kymco Odometers use?

I'm not sure what anyone else is doing but I always use miles and the odometer on the Kymco can be toggled between miles and kilometers by pressing and holding one of the buttons I forgot but it is easily discovered if you just press and hold and its some point it will begin flashing and then you'll be able to press another button and see kilometers and miles.  The excel sheet I made has everything converted.  Although I like a lot of things better about Metro where in America so miles and mileage I do it all in English units.

PaulC

jayocampo88

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
How difficult is it to replace the belt on the GV??
Mines an 06.

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: 18,000 mile CVT belt -- How To Video
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »
How difficult is it to replace the belt on the GV??
Mines an 06.

Pretty easy as *most* scooters are all the same EXCEPT that there are a few small but important differences with the GV's belt system.

Basic steps (it's been a couple of years)
1. Place scooter on the center stand and place the kickstand / side stand up and remove (1) 8mm bolt about 12 inches from the front of the kick stand.  Slide the plastic piece back about 1/2" and remove it from the rear.
2. Remove (4) small chrome bolts (10mm) that hold the plastic cover on - be careful not to loose the washers AND rubber grommets.
3. remove (6) 8mm bolts then pry in the hole on the bottom / center with a small pry bar to un-stick the metal.
4. Place a pry bar in the center of the REAR pulley and pry against the spring about 3/4" until it "unlocks" and relieves the tension on the pulley.
(*) WARNING failure to follow step #4 caused my front pulley splines to get stripped when reinstalling the belt!
5. There are two large 19mm nuts.  The rear does NOT require removal but it is a good idea to remove it to inspect the rear clutch assembly.  Remove them (ideally) with and an impact / compressed tool aka air gun OR buy or make a holder tool (remember that the front and rear require different fittings for the pulley holder).  If doing by hand use a 1/2 breaker bar or 1/2" ratchet AND a ~ 20" (1" ID metal pipe to increase force - available at Lowes, Home Depot or any place that sells pipes ~ $4) striking the tool helps to generate impact / shock to bread things free.  You will also need a short ~ 1" socket extension - available at any auto store $4.
6. Separate the front pulley.  Only need to remove the 19mm nut, the washer under it and the outer pulley facing you.  Lube the spline with a tiny bit of grease or anti-seize (get a tube at any auto store for $5).
7.OPTIONAL - remove the nut on the rear pulley and carefully remove the parts noting or taking pictures of the order and blow out dust and inspect clutch assembly for wear.  Mine are original and still in good shape at 16K miles. 
8. reinstall rear pulley and nut then new belt (noting direction - many but not all belts can rotate in either direction). 
9. Reinstall front outer half of pulley and be sure it slides on spline correctly and bottoms out - if belt does not have plenty of slack pry the rear pulley apart again and it should stay separated "unlocked" to allow the font pulley to go on easily.  Now put the washer on, tighten the nut by hand.  Tighten front nut with a quick shot with the impact wrench OR ideally use the holding tool and a torque wrench.  Repeat for rear pulley.  Do NOT apply thread locker to threads. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN.
10. Do NOT install the covers - take a test ride.
11.  Reinspect and reinstall the metal cover count to (6) as you tighten each bolt - DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN.  Reinstall the plastic cover (4) 10mm bolts (watch-out I lost a grommet - you do apply thread locker and only hand tighten that bolt to avoid damaging the plastic. Apply medium thread locker to ALL 4 chrome bolts or they will loosen up constantly and probably fall out. 
12. Retest and save your old belt and any used parts then dispose of after 30 days OR keep your old belt as a spare if you take road trips. 

Kymco Grandvista / Grand Dink Belt Change:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:41:59 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()