Author Topic: Just Ordered: 2013 Downtown 300i  (Read 4370 times)

rybob1

• View Profile
Just Ordered: 2013 Downtown 300i
« on: August 15, 2014, 06:11:42 AM »
These are all questions I'm not sure anyone will be able to answer, but I thought I'd ask.

The dealer I ordered the Downtown isn't really being that helpful.  I purchased a 2013 Downtown 300i in Silver from a dealer for $3999 + Tax/Lic (no addl fees), but the catch was that they would have to order it from Kymco in SC.  All they could give me for shipping estimate is that it would take 7-10 days.  I'm going on my 10th day, with no sign of the scooter, so I thought I ask.  I know I'm being somewhat impatient, but it also seems in this day and age of internet tracking, being able to give me a more accurate status would be possible. 

• Does anyone have an experience similar to mine, and does the 7-10 days seem accurate? 
  • How does it ship - some form of FedEx/UPS, or is it coming on a standard freighter truck? 
  • Did anyone who ordered get any sort of tracking status?
  • How much after the 10 day mark would you reasonably expect to wait?

Looking forward to contributing to this great community, and have enjoyed reading through everyone's posts already.

Thanks!

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
try to be patient
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »
That is a good price on a good scoot.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

rybob1

• View Profile
Re: Just Ordered: 2013 Downtown 300i
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the price, now if I only get it delivered! ;D

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:00:47 PM »
Bob, don't depend on the dealer for ANYTHING especially straight answers. You can tell I am pretty sour on dealers but their performance is really poor. They will tell you anything to get you: 1. Off the phone, 2. Out of their face, 3. Out of the store/shop. Pull your down payment or threaten to if something does not happen in 10 days and go anywhere else to get one. That IS a great price for a DT300i! Keep us all posted.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 08:27:55 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the price, now if I only get it delivered! ;D
   stuff that comes from SC. takes 12 to 14 days , the price you got is perfect, SC. TAKES A WEEK TO GET ORDERS OUT THE DOOR, ENJOY YOUR NEW SCOOTER  don   300i downtown 2011

kbshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 10:56:16 PM »
My People 300i came from SC, ordered on a Thursday evening (PST), the dealer (Bay Area, CA) received it the following Thursday morning.  He prepped it the same day and he delivered it the day after (Friday).

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 03:56:21 PM »
Ask the dealer to call his Rep or regional coordinator. They can supply a tracking / PRO number and give you an arrival date.
The units are shipped via Trucking company.
If the unit is in stock at Kymco USA, they usually ship the same day as ordered. Depending on what time of day the unit is ordered, receipt of dealer payment, etc are all factors.
What dealer is it and what state?  I can call the dealership that I worked at, who sells Kymco, and ask.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »
Bob, don't depend on the dealer for ANYTHING especially straight answers. You can tell I am pretty sour on dealers but their performance is really poor. They will tell you anything to get you: 1. Off the phone, 2. Out of their face, 3. Out of the store/shop. Pull your down payment or threaten to if something does not happen in 10 days and go anywhere else to get one. That IS a great price for a DT300i! Keep us all posted.

Karl
Please just because you have had a bad experience with your dealer don't generalize, we're not all like that!!!!! I'm sorry you have had bad luck, we try our best to give the customer as much info as possible and not just "get them off the phone and out the door". As for shipping of new units, we're on the west coast and units usually take 7-14 days. Don't pressure the dealer too much if it hasn't been a week. Kymco does NOT provide tracking like UPS does, depending on the trucking company they call a few days ahead and set up a delivery with the dealer, just ask them to call you once they have a delivery date and give them a day to setup your sweet new bike. Last thing you want to do is rush them through PDI and forget something important. Keep in mind we get about 50% or more of the scooters delivered damaged from the freight company, so you may have some warranty work needed. I've seen crates damaged so badly from them, fork holes, some looked like they had been straight dropped.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

rybob1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »
Please just because you have had a bad experience with your dealer don't generalize, we're not all like that!!!!! I'm sorry you have had bad luck, we try our best to give the customer as much info as possible and not just "get them off the phone and out the door". As for shipping of new units, we're on the west coast and units usually take 7-14 days. Don't pressure the dealer too much if it hasn't been a week. Kymco does NOT provide tracking like UPS does, depending on the trucking company they call a few days ahead and set up a delivery with the dealer, just ask them to call you once they have a delivery date and give them a day to setup your sweet new bike. Last thing you want to do is rush them through PDI and forget something important. Keep in mind we get about 50% or more of the scooters delivered damaged from the freight company, so you may have some warranty work needed. I've seen crates damaged so badly from them, fork holes, some looked like they had been straight dropped.

I actually think my dealer in Washington State has been very honest and straight forward.  After I called and asked (originally told 7-10 days) on day 10, they didn't have much more to give me, but apparently on their own they called Kymco and were able to nail down the delivery to Tuesday.  With that information, I'm taking a chance and arranging for a trailer to bring it home, as its a couple hours away from me, and no one else to help me during a work day.  With the tuesday delivery it makes it 14 days, right inline with what you are suggesting.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »
That is great you are getting your scoot at about 14 days. As far as "rushing through PDI and forgetting something" I don't think that will be a problem since most dealers don't do anything except uncrate and assemble. The reason I am so down on dealers is from experience and what has been posted on this forum. My experience with a Florida dealer on the Yager was his "mechanic" did not install the battery clamp and screws when he put the battery in after he did not charge it: just dumped in the electrolyte and hooked it up. Took forever to get it replaced by the dealer after I jacked up Kymco US to DO SOMETHING. The local dealer does not even check the oil on new deliveries. There was too much oil in a Like that was used a demo when we were thinking of getting one for wife. I know there are really good dealers somewhere but they seem in short supply especially on this forum. Even in Austrailia they seem half-assed. When I hear on this forum that someone has a good experience with a dealer I will lighten up. I am still waiting to hear that someone with a problem went to a dealer and got a solution instead a lot of stack gas. Meanwhile, this forum has more answers than any dealer so far.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

rybob1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 05:34:45 AM »
Picked up the DT 300i today.  So far I really like it.  Haven't done much yet other than just poke around the neighborhood.  One thing I did notice, which I believe is just normal break in, but I'm smelling a very faint burning smell, almost like paint or something burning.  I assume this is normal, but thought I'd ask?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 06:06:58 AM »
The burning smell is cosmaliene burning out of the muffler. Perfectly normal.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

rybob1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 06:31:38 AM »
The burning smell is cosmaliene burning out of the muffler. Perfectly normal.

Thanks, I figured it was normal.

One other question - is there a way to switch the odometer from KMH to MPH?

Edit: Nevermind, I just found this - http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=10504.msg107785#msg107785
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:34:18 AM by rybob1 »

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
Thanks, I figured it was normal.

One other question - is there a way to switch the odometer from KMH to MPH?

Edit: Nevermind, I just found this - http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=10504.msg107785#msg107785

Cool.
Now go try to get the clock to run in a 12 hour format..............

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile