Author Topic: People engine models  (Read 7722 times)

S E G

• View Profile
People engine models
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:31:18 AM »
I have a 2002 People 50 2 stroke.  I'm pretty sure it is not speed limited, goes about 45MPH (75KmH).  I want to install a big bore kit but I'm not sure what to get or what engine it has- GY6, 40QB, Mineralli, etc. 
Looking for some insight or recommendations...thanks

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: People engine models
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:32:06 AM »
Malossi usa .com
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:22:11 AM »
If you call up moped hospital, mhr-usa.com, they will tell you exactly which kit you need.  They sell the Airsal kits.

S E G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »
ok, I'll check those, too.  How about Provo Scooter or Scootertronics?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 12:31:41 AM »
I have had real good luck with provoscooter also.  They have shipped quickly and replied to emails with very helpful answers!  I've never ordered anything from scootertronics, there were some previous posts stating issues with them.  I think they got the problem taken care of in the end though.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
Kymco's engine in the People 50 is Kymco's own design.  It is not a Minarelli or GY6 or anything else.  It's a Kymco horizontal 2-stroke.  Kymco has a few different styles of 2-stroke though.  There are a few different kits that will fit.  Airsal, Malossi, and Metrakit all make 'em.  You can also get cheap knock-off kits from Char-mo and some other Chinese / Taiwan companies, but I would stay well away from these as most of them are just overbored stock cylinders. 

A good cylinder kit, put together the right way, will last you a long time.

Hope this helps!

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »
Kymco's engine in the People 50 is Kymco's own design.  It is not a Minarelli or GY6 or anything else.  It's a Kymco horizontal 2-stroke.  Kymco has a few different styles of 2-stroke though.  There are a few different kits that will fit.  Airsal, Malossi, and Metrakit all make 'em.  You can also get cheap knock-off kits from Char-mo and some other Chinese / Taiwan companies, but I would stay well away from these as most of them are just overbored stock cylinders. 

A good cylinder kit, put together the right way, will last you a long time.

Hope this helps!

~Josh

My experience and experience of my friends is that after market kits last typically less than 10.000 kms.
We can now discuss how the scooter is being used, what type of oil was used etc. but a lot of kits are of very poor quality. My mechanic told me that many times when using some Italian kits he had to use a file to downsize the piston because it had a lot of rough edges and could not fit into the cylinder!

Another issue people do not consider is that very often stock camshaft cannot sustain oversized kit or it can do it for a limited period of time. Also, people usually install kits after original cylinder and piston did 20-30.000 kms, so there is already a significant wear on the camshaft, so very often after installation of aftermarket kit the camshaft gets broken.

However, these things refer mostly to 2T scooters. I think that 4T scooters, having better "mechanical" part of how things are set up in and around the engine, should not show such signs, or at least not that much.

Personally, I am not that much into tuning of bikes and scooters because of all things mentioned above and I pretty much prefer buying more powerful bike immediately. However, I was told that people like to enhance things regardless of that, so, I guess, to each his own... :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 01:33:38 PM »
I built an LC Super 9 over 3 years ago.  The bike has over 11,000 kilometers and is still running tip top.  Building the engine correctly, doing a good pressure test, checking ring-end gap, squish clearance, compression ratio, etc are all important parts of properly building a 2 stroke engine.  If it's build right, and maintained right, it will last as long as any other engine provided that quality parts are used.

2 strokes don't have a camshaft, so I'll assume that you meant crankshaft.  It is true that most stock crankshafts cannot hold up to the higher RPM of a big bore kit with a proper expansion chamber exhaust, etc.  Kymco cranks though, are pretty tough.  They're one of the strongest OEM crankshafts I've seen in a scooter period.

When you're talking about a 50cc scooter and performance, I'd rather have a 2-stroke any day.  Better power, more bang for the buck, easier to modify, etc. :)

~Josh

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 02:54:13 PM »
I built an LC Super 9 over 3 years ago.  The bike has over 11,000 kilometers and is still running tip top.  Building the engine correctly, doing a good pressure test, checking ring-end gap, squish clearance, compression ratio, etc are all important parts of properly building a 2 stroke engine.  If it's build right, and maintained right, it will last as long as any other engine provided that quality parts are used.

2 strokes don't have a camshaft, so I'll assume that you meant crankshaft.  It is true that most stock crankshafts cannot hold up to the higher RPM of a big bore kit with a proper expansion chamber exhaust, etc.  Kymco cranks though, are pretty tough.  They're one of the strongest OEM crankshafts I've seen in a scooter period.

When you're talking about a 50cc scooter and performance, I'd rather have a 2-stroke any day.  Better power, more bang for the buck, easier to modify, etc. :)

~Josh

Yes, crankshaft. I use four languages daily so I do not know what I am saying anymore. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 07:53:42 PM »
Just another 2 cents: I have 13'000 km on my Malossi kit.You should NEVER just bolt it all together. As myst pointed out there are points that need to be fine tuned. Ps. '04 zx/50 super fever. The kit was installed at 8'000 km
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 08:10:57 PM »
Yes, crankshaft. I use four languages daily so I do not know what I am saying anymore. :)

I'm sure that if I spoke more than one language, I would have the same problem.  4 languages is pretty good!  :)  I forget where you are from.  Is it Croatia?

~Josh

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 09:16:24 PM »
I'm sure that if I spoke more than one language, I would have the same problem.  4 languages is pretty good!  :)  I forget where you are from.  Is it Croatia?

~Josh

Correct. However, I work for Italian international company so I use English and Italian daily and on top of that worked for 3 years for German company where I used also German (my 2nd language, English is 3rd, Italian 4th). :)
Oh, yeah, I was born in Holland (but do not speak Dutch) :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 08:06:37 PM »
I'm from N.Y., and my wife was born in the swampland they call N.W. Florida. I can't tell WHAT she is saying 1/2 the time.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 08:47:28 AM »
I'm from N.Y., and my wife was born in the swampland they call N.W. Florida. I can't tell WHAT she is saying 1/2 the time.

:) :) :) :) :)
Try talking English to someone from India... or Scotland. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
EGGZAQCTELLYIE...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()