Author Topic: New member here from Kentucky  (Read 5210 times)

Likescooten

• Viet Nam, 65'-66' Big Red One, love classic cars
  • Like 200i 50th Anniversary Gold Scooter
    • View Profile
New member here from Kentucky
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:47:10 PM »
I am a new member to this forum and do not have our scooter at this time but will be getting the 2014 50th anniversary "Like". Love the color. I am a Vietnam Vet-1965-1966 with the Big Red One. I know I am really going to enjoy my new "Like" but I am a little concerned about the Like seat everyone is saying is hard on your behind on long runs. I sold my 2004 Yamaha 600 motorcycle some time ago and know this will be a change. The wife (Linda) and I (John) are planning on hauling the scoot on the back of our Class A Motor Home. If we need to go long distance at a park we will just rent a car. Not sure if we would want to drive the scooter on the freeways. Looking forward to getting our new Gold Scoot. John and Linda in Kentucky.
You don't stop playing because  you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Likescooten

• View Profile
Re: New member here from Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:54:36 PM »
This is our motorhome that the scooter will be hauled on the back. This picture was taken this summer and my wife is 68 but she still looks like she is in her early 50's.
You don't stop playing because  you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »
Welcome! I was just in your great state (Bowling Green) this past weekend for a wedding. Y'all got some good people! Enjoy your new scoot!
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
welcome Likescooten
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 04:11:38 PM »
I think you will be pleased with your choice.
I purchased my first Kymco last year and have been pleased with my scoot.
Lot of nice people here and will help you if they can when you have questions.

Oh ya, thank you for your service to our country.

Ride safe.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:15:53 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum scooten. I think you'll enjoy the Like it's a great scooter. I was a former m/c rider too but easily took to the scooter experience. I think you are the first here with the 50th anniversary model. ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »
John,  You will want to ride that scooter everywhere!  They are addicting.

I have 2 Kymco scoots and have never regretted my purchases.  Welcome to the forum.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Honda Nighthawk 750
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200gt
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 06:07:38 PM »
I am a new member to this forum and do not have our scooter at this time but will be getting the 2014 50th anniversary "Like". Love the color. I am a Vietnam Vet-1965-1966 with the Big Red One. I know I am really going to enjoy my new "Like" but I am a little concerned about the Like seat everyone is saying is hard on your behind on long runs. I sold my 2004 Yamaha 600 motorcycle some time ago and know this will be a change. The wife (Linda) and I (John) are planning on hauling the scoot on the back of our Class A Motor Home. If we need to go long distance at a park we will just rent a car. Not sure if we would want to drive the scooter on the freeways. Looking forward to getting our new Gold Scoot. John and Linda in Kentucky.
   a like is not for the super slab, if you want to go on the highway you need a 300i GT or a downtown 300i or a bigger scooter,.  enjoy the like on the byways ,   scoots are very addictive,.  did my 200 mile ride yesterday, don with a 300i downtown

Likescooten

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 06:09:21 PM »
Have not got the scooter yet but will have it soon. Thanks' for the warm welcome. I am sure I will enjoy it. The first bike I had was a Honda Goldwing then the Yamaha and now the Like. Seems to be a great scooter but as I said, the only real complaint I hear is the seat. Seems they (Kymco) would take care of that problem. Guess they have their reasons. I saw on the Buddy site that they have wires and even on Utube it shows you how to hook up the lower turn signals up to either run as running lights or extra turn signals. Must be harder to do on the Like. The Buddy also has everything behind front cover to just hook up very easy. The wires are there just taped down. I am all for safety. I think this would help.   I was thinking about getting the Buddy but just fell in love with the Like and the price is better. Again, thanks' for the welcome.

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »
Welcome fellow Veteran and thanks for your service!

Scooters are so much fun and provide lots of utility around a 'campsite,' so I'm sure you made a nice decision.

I've had a new Class 'C' and two new Class 'A's' and that's the way to rough it.

There are several 'bumper' style carriers that fit right into your hitch, have a loading ramp and will carry up to 600 lbs. I have used it to carry my past GS1100 to Minn and my Triumph Scrambler to KY and they work well.

Have fun and be careful---we aren't invincible like we used to be!

U.S.A.F.  1966 thru 1970, NCOIC Demand Processing.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

kbshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »
Welcome to our wonderful forum. :)

Likescooten

• View Profile

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
First of all thank you for your service to our country!

If your soon to be Like is a 200 I doubt it will be able to keep up with freeway traffic, it might get you on and off for a mile or so but it's not going to keep up and will be dangerous.

It's great for getting around town and on secondary roads though.

Enjoy and ride safe.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Likescooten

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 08:59:33 PM »
By what I hear about the seat might not want to go any further than a mile or two.  :)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 09:04:04 PM »
Welcome to the most informative forum! Thank you for your service. It is always great to meet another who survived the crime of Vietnam! The like is a great scoot but not really suited for freeways. Wife had a Buddy 150 and it was not suited for the freeways, either. But it had a great horn! I put a Harbor Freight "Wolo" horn on both our Kymcos and now we can be heard.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »
Welcome John ,
"The seat", oh it ain't sooo bad - lots of folks in Asia love the thing. It will work for a few miles - if it bothers you - just pop off for a few and check your lines of fire, or plot & register your arty for later tonight. It's a handsome seat. And if you're not a big fellow you'll be OK for a few miles. (I could do about 40mins max)
Do stay off the interstates - 58mph will just make you a moving target.
The LIKE is crazy easy to service....valves, oil and gear oil - even the belt, clutch & rollers aren't a big job.

I rebuilt the stock seat -'cause I'm a big guy and liked to ride yr round, for hours.

As for the front lights and turnsignals...I think they are very visible.
We even have a very big tail light...but I wanted more running light and more brake lighting because I ride every day in the dark. So I added this Bestem 929 top box. (@$125 ,all in). The lights you see here - are doubled when I touch the brakes!

OK, stay off the trails and don't bunch up!
Stig (medic, II Corps w/the 4th)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()