Author Topic: first signs of a problem?  (Read 1409 times)

widespace

• View Profile
first signs of a problem?
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »
have an almost new 2011 People 50, got it with 200 kilometers.. 
Startup, performance have been flawless and now it has about 3000 kilometers.
Once, upon startup there was a hesitating idle, then as i attempt take off, engine faltered to stop.    Almost like not getting gas. I re-start , everything fine.
Now it has happened another couple times. Most of the time not acting this way..
Sometime as I try to drive off when it starts in that weak idle, it runs but with very abbreviated power. Then, a few moments everything is fine.

Anyone have experience here, does this indicate need for a carb cleaning?

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: first signs of a problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »
Carb cleaning may help. Also check and clean the air filter, to make sure it's getting enough air in.
My Super 8 150 has acted like that a couple times, and it's always been a dirty air filter causing it to flood out from too much fuel and not enough air.

And, check the spark plug. If it's never been checked or changed, it may need cleaned up or replaced to insure consistent spark.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

MoToFaLcon

• I Fly....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 05:52:39 PM »
Maybe your idle has gotten lower? My rear tire use to barely spin on idle, now it doesnt.  That may be because of the auto choke and the fact that its summer now and not winter. Idk?
WTF, i have a Ninja 650!!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:53:01 AM »
One thing on the people 50 they have a paper fuel filter that you should replace with a high flow inline filter. Could be carb clean, you should do both and it'll run like new.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

widespace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »
Big thanks to all !  I'm not online regularly .. but will check up on all points suggested ~

widespace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
Here's an update on this thread :
Checked air filter, very clean.
Checked spark plug: Not much on it, grayish-white film only. A friend says that shows it is running 'lean'
I replaced fuel filter.  As soon as I did this - immediate change in this way: When it starts up, after a few moments the idle suddenly 'revs' up.  Rear wheel spinning.   Bike runs okay, and after a moment or 2 driving , no more fast idle.. 
After a few days, the rev-up characteristic was seeming to normalize.

One day, engine would not start, period.  Getting electric, it wanted to turn, but no ignition.
I pull fuel filter to check gas flow.
Confirm gas flow..
Mechanic friend suggests :  a valve in carburetor sometime gets stuck open or closed if carb is dirty.  Try tapping the carb from outside to release the stuck valve. 
Engine fires, problem goes away, though now the rev-up idle characteristic is back.

I'm delaying taking the carb apart to clean, I'm not experienced as a mechanic.

Any suggestions where I can get good instruction on how to pull the carb?
Do I need a "kit", new gaskets, etc?

thanks ahead  ~

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 08:16:20 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=clean+scooter+carb

That's a you tube link w/ 20-30 scooter carb vids. Watch thru a few of them, and you should be able to do it w/ no issues.

You will need a couple cans of spray carb or brake cleaner, and a few sewing needles or torch tip cleaners. Either one is under 5 bucks US.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()