Author Topic: At what age???  (Read 695 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
At what age???
« on: August 21, 2014, 07:46:01 PM »
At what age do you start taking your kids on scooter rides?

We live in a small city/town of about 15K pop. My daughter asked the other day for a ride on the scoot so I drove her around the house standing on the floor board. Armed with that she asks for a ride around the block. I drop a helmet on her head and knowing it's early morning and we live on a quiet side street we take a spin around the block while she sits behind me holding on.

Her arms don't make it around me by any stretch, and I know she's not strong enough to go for a longer ride yet, but at what age do you think I should start to break her in?

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: At what age???
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 08:53:32 PM »
  every one is different, my granddaughter is 26 years and her dad put her on the lawn tractor and she ran into every thing,. her son is six and a better driver than she is,.  a great grand dad    don,.

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:20:06 PM »
I don't have any kids.  However my girlfriend has a five year old son who is fascinated by my Xciting.  I was thinking of buying him a little jacket and helmet and taking him for a ride, and if he likes it maybe buying him a small kids dirt bike or something.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:42:55 PM »
Just to be clear on this, my daughter will not be getting a scoot of her own anytime soon. She will however want more rides, if it were a country road I'd take her now and ride a few miles. However where we are there is traffic and I'm affraid she might get into a fender bender with me riding her and I don't ever want her to get hurt.

Is anyone aware of a law that states what age a rider/passenger must be?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 11:32:47 PM »
Yes, some states have laws about children on motorcycles, and I would th8ink this law would apply to scooters.
I think it is 8 in Arkansas and they mush wear a helmet and eye protection.  Unfortunately, age has 2 problems:
(1) not indicative of size, which is more important in safety concerns and (2) most children don't carry ID cards with their age on it.

So, the law is seldom applied unless an accident occurs.  If the child can't hold on tightly or if safety equipment is unavailable,
then don't give them a ride.  Above all, do0n't give a ride to a child without the parents' permission  (both parents).

scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()