Author Topic: some scoots are made just to leave stock.  (Read 6471 times)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: some scoots are made just to leave stock.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 11:19:03 PM »
The variator kits usually are designed for a race setup so the Malossi prolly came with too light of weights. With stock exhaust and contrast spring white you will want no lighter that 7gr weights. I'll bet the kit came with lighter than 5gr. My polini variator for my zuma came with 4gr!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 11:32:15 PM »
I would say it's a bad idea too pay a shop to do it too. They won't have the road time to feel what the engine needs, and if you want then to dial it in, it'll take loads of cash. If the bike feels like it's revving and not going anywhere the weights might be too light. But you're shop should be able to diagnose this.
  whai I dont understand is why pay the extra to have put the bbk on when the money you put in to the scoot can go for bigger one.it must be because of the law being 50 not 125 wear you need insurance to ride.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 12:28:46 AM »
In Oregon you need insurance for any scooter. I modify my two stroke scooters for fun and a learning experience. I have noticed when customers with 70cc kits want them to run better I can NEVER get it perfect because it would require hours and hours of tuning and no one wants to pay that much hence why they blow up. It's better to be ok with doing 50mph on a 50cc all day than 60 with a kit but you can't go wot for long without overheating.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 02:14:23 AM »
Quote from: BettinANDlosing wlink=topic=12568.msg125811#msg125811 date=1408840126
In Oregon you need insurance for any scooter. I modify my two stroke scooters for fun and a learning experience. I have noticed when customers with 70cc kits want them to run better I can NEVER get it perfect because it would require hours and hours of tuning and no one wants to pay that much hence why they blow up. It's better to be ok with doing 50mph on a 50cc all day than 60 with a kit but you can't go wot for long without overheating.
  x2 keep it stock and keep the scoot longer.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 02:37:16 AM »
If your going to mod anything the transmission is where to start. I've been through so many cylinder kits lol. My bet & win would be 250cc but I purchased it blown up and the 300cc kit was far cheaper than rebuilding stock bore even with Kymco parts at cost (goes to show the quality of OEM parts). I'm 7000km in and going strong. 4t kits are much more reliable than 2t kits, with the gy6 I've gotten 10000 miles out of 180cc kits. Unless you're personally able to tune, test then re tune, stock is the way to go.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 02:45:38 AM »
Im pretty satisfied with a exhaust chop and weld, dr pulley sliders, purple spring and a minor upjet. Doing 42 MPH now with synthetic oil and carb adjustment. May want to look into a old carb Bettin mentioned before that was stock on an older model scooter that can be used on the 2013 Super 8 2 stroke.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 03:07:03 AM »
The time and money you spend fixing up a scoot to break the law is more expensive than getting the motorcycle endorsment and insurance.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 04:34:35 AM »
Haha breaking the law on a kitted out 70cc is the finest part of it all.

Tierney

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
Short answer: When you increase cc, you have to upjet. Change to a freer flowing pipe, upjet again. As been already mentioned, a bigger bore will not increase your top speed, it will just get you there faster. If you want higher top speed, then you have to change the gearing. You can keep your stock carb during all this. With a bigger bore, you should have the power to handle the gear changes. It's fun to mess around and mod the 50cc scoots - in Hawaii they get the older Honda dio engines up to 70mph. But eventually you realize if you want to go faster, it works out better just to get a bigger scoot.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 04:57:59 PM »
Short answer: When you increase cc, you have to upjet. Change to a freer flowing pipe, upjet again. As been already mentioned, a bigger bore will not increase your top speed, it will just get you there faster. If you want higher top speed, then you have to change the gearing. You can keep your stock carb during all this. With a bigger bore, you should have the power to handle the gear changes. It's fun to mess around and mod the 50cc scoots - in Hawaii they get the older Honda dio engines up to 70mph. But eventually you realize if you want to go faster, it works out better just to get a bigger scoot.

I disagree with one point, on a 50cc bike a 70cc kit WILL increase top speed alone because it increases max rpm. My zuma stock was maxed out around 8500rpm with a kit and no pipe I could get over 9000rpm which equates a 10mph difference. A pipe will further increase max rpm to the point of being potentially damaging to the crankshaft. On a 2t you don't NEED gearing you need rpms. Gearing will also decrease acceleration, if you are fine with 50-55mph stock gearing will rip up to that speed with kit, if your looking for a crazy fast top speed bike then yes gearing is needed.

Tierney

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 01:32:10 AM »
Well, you are right about the top speed, I stand corrected. The porting they put into those kits are really something. You are also right about having the right crank, the stock one is only designed to do so much. How much? I do not know. They usually run really great before they blow up. That's what happened on  my Stella, anyway. My Vespas were and are incredibly reliable, as they are so under stressed. Like I said before, the 50s are fun to mess with.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 02:44:15 AM »
Anything over 10k is pushing your luck with a stick 50cc crank. What kind of vintage Vespas do you have? I love shifter scoots

kimura

• 2012 super 8 50cc 2t
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 11:42:35 AM »
Bettingandlosing, thank you so much for your input.

You are probably right about the roller weights, what should I do?  get heavier roller weights or have him put in the stock ones? will the stock ones even fit (its a malossi variator) ? how many grams should I get?

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »
Blue: You should have changed your thread header to "All Scoots are made to be Stock" I know 50cc guys will set fire to me for saying this, but in the end, it's the best way. By the time you pay for all the upgrades & parts etc. You could have purchased a 125cc-150cc (or even) in more many cases. I understand if you don't have a m/c endorsement, then maybe. An Agility 125 ($2000) or a Lance PCH 125 ($1900) is a better bet. I bought a Lance PCH 125 for me wife & it's a solid little scooter. It looks 10x better to me then the Agility 125 (which I think looks terrible)

Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
Blue: You should have changed your thread header to "All Scoots are made to be Stock" I know 50cc guys will set fire to me for saying this, but in the end, it's the best way. By the time you pay for all the upgrades & parts etc. You could have purchased a 125cc-150cc (or even) in more many cases. I understand if you don't have a m/c endorsement, then maybe. An Agility 125 ($2000) or a Lance PCH 125 ($1900) is a better bet. I bought a Lance PCH 125 for me wife & it's a solid little scooter. It looks 10x better to me then the Agility 125 (which I think looks terrible)
For the most part it is not practical, but its a fun practical experiment to make something designed to go slow, go fast. I totally agree with you, of youth need a bike that goes 50 on a daily basis modding a 50 it's a worse option than getting a 125/150 but if you do your own work it's really not that expensive to mod a 50..... Unless you're zombie

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()