Author Topic: I just don't get it.  (Read 5993 times)

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
I just don't get it.
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:09:26 PM »
I replaced my helmet today.  I spent an hour going around and trying on tons of helmets. I came to one conclusion.  A 600 dollar helmet isn't 100 times better than a 60 dollar helmet.  I can't see why sombody would pay that kind of money for a mass produced helmet.  Maybe some special custom rig.  I spent 140 or 160 on my last helmet.  It was so so.  Had a pump in it to air up the cheek pads and that sucked and broke. I bought a 60 dollar (on sale for half off) helmet and it fits better and isn't loud as hell sliding the visor up and down, plus no gimmicky air pump. Still have a secondary tinted visor too. I realize that to a point the devil is in the details but it's DOT approved and looks and feels like the rigs hundreds and hundreds of dollars more expensive.

Just like I can't understand the want or need for a bike that's thousands of ccs when a 300 will do every speed limit in the country. I don't understand why anyone would spend half a grand on a helmet.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: I just don't get it.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 12:47:00 AM »
I replaced my helmet today.  I spent an hour going around and trying on tons of helmets. I came to one conclusion.  A 600 dollar helmet isn't 100 times better than a 60 dollar helmet.  I can't see why sombody would pay that kind of money for a mass produced helmet.  Maybe some special custom rig.  I spent 140 or 160 on my last helmet.  It was so so.  Had a pump in it to air up the cheek pads and that sucked and broke. I bought a 60 dollar (on sale for half off) helmet and it fits better and isn't loud as hell sliding the visor up and down, plus no gimmicky air pump. Still have a secondary tinted visor too. I realize that to a point the devil is in the details but it's DOT approved and looks and feels like the rigs hundreds and hundreds of dollars more expensive.

Just like I can't understand the want or need for a bike that's thousands of ccs when a 300 will do every speed limit in the country. I don't understand why anyone would spend half a grand on a helmet.     EGO SAME AS BUYING A 1/2 TON PICK UP WITH 400 HP TO DRIVE TO WORK AND HOME NO TRAILOR EVEN,. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 02:16:18 AM »

Just like I can't understand the want or need for a bike that's thousands of ccs when a 300 will do every speed limit in the country. I don't understand why anyone would spend half a grand on a helmet.
Aw, if you had the bucks - you'd pick the best helmet, too. Price no object.
They are made of different stuff, and weigh differently.
I can never figure why people will buy a helmet on-line. EVERY helmet is a different shape in-side. You must try on many to find the one that fits you well - and wear it around the store for awhile to double check its comfort, fit and quietness.
These aren't Sunday hats,,,,these are life protectors. Brain protectors.
My buddies in the U.K. and Europe can't figure why we all need guns - when the indians haven't attacked a wagon train in months or why people would choose to own a breed of dog that kills children every month - are there no other kinds of dogs available?!
Yeah, its an ego thing...like the short-guy syndrome.
There's a lot of stuff I have trouble understanding.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:02:18 AM »
My Arai is very quiet, and gives me piece of mind going down the back straight at the track day. I have cheaper helmets too and those aren't bad for day to day commuting. My sister wears Schuberth and she finds them super comfy after trying on many other brands.

If your $60 helmet fits you well and suits you, then I feel no need to convince you otherwise. Wear what you like.

Why do people ride bikes bigger than 300 cc? Some people like effortless torque, or need to make time on really long cross country rides to reach more interesting destinations. One of my friends explained that to me when he suggested an Xciting or a VStrom over my Downtown when pulling uphill at speed. He tends to do that sort of thing on his long distance trips. There are indeed times when I value that capability.

But perhaps 300 ccs meet your needs just fine. Keeps your running costs down too.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »
I routinely use 2 helmets, a cheap one from Aldi and a middle class from Schuberth.
Both work, but the Schuberth has real ventilation sliders and not only mocks. Sealing between pinlock visor and helmet frame works. And it's quiet at highway speeds too, I don't became deaf after x00 miles.
You won't notice much difference in the shop, but when riding in rain and mist, or even in freezing fog.
But of course for many short commutes the cheap helmet will do it's job too.

Regarding the cc, I had a Grand Dink (Vista) 250cc with 14.4kW and was quite happy with it.
Until I got a new mate (overweight like me) and in the holidays we were riding together a steep climb (say 12% grade at 2000m altitude).
Even small cars (small in Europe means <=R4 and 55kW, not a V8 "small block") did finally overtake in the corners and honk.
A new Xciting 500cc did the job, but even that is sometimes at it's limits.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:00:01 AM by ts1 »

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
Goldwing: Effortless luxury touring, because one can:)

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 02:10:29 PM »

So true.

I'm from the school of once the hat gets DOT it's all bells and whistles from there.

That said I have a collection of lids that range from $60.00 to $600.00.  When I want max comfort and little noise and lite weightI'll grab the $$$ hat every time. When I was younger it was always a trade off on price/value. Now I "can " as stated above so I do. No apologies there.

As far as displacement I do fine with 300cc but being from the "horsepower generation" I understand the desire for max ponies.

The important thing is you shopped and found a helmet that fits and works for to without breaking the bank. Kudos.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 04:42:49 PM »
Oh i love speed too. Thats what my car is for. My 300 has been able to handle every highway hill over 70mph. That was speeding. Anywho just making coversation. I get the want for speed but not the need for speed. I got my two wheeler for mpg and convenience. Not for speed. I realize most people go 2 wheels for fun.

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
Oh i love speed too. Thats what my car is for. My 300 has been able to handle every highway hill over 70mph. That was speeding. Anywho just making coversation. I get the want for speed but not the need for speed. I got my two wheeler for mpg and convenience. Not for speed. I realize most people go 2 wheels for fun.

Sounds like you got it right !
I've found the 300cc Kymcos to be over achievers.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 09:11:08 PM »

A couple on a pretty burgundy gold wing pulled up next to me at the light this morning.
Very foggy. "Driver' waved at me and took a sip of cooffee from his cup holder - she was looking at a laminated map plotting their Saturday morning outing. He was having no trouble with the fog because it was all getting knocked down by his big windscreen. She was back seat navigating over the intercom.
I'm wiping my visor with my paper towel....and riding with the other hand.
They looked like they loved their big bike!
Couldn't blame them. What a way to two-wheel the country side.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 11:58:04 PM »
It would be 10X's the amount not 100X's but your point is taken.

The only way Isee one being that much better would be it they test that much stronger or have electronics built into them or maybe even an A/C port.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 02:17:45 AM »
I never pay the full price. Garage sale helmets are ok for me.

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »
Plenty of great helmets out there for $120.00 & less. I wouldn't buy some "no name" cheapskate helmet off ebay. I myself love Scorpion helmets for the money. Bell, HJC & others make a fine $100.00 cap. Remember that's you head you're protecting, so going cheap isn't an option (for me at least)
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 10:07:10 PM »
I'm actually going to be helmet shopping tomorrow.

I have an HJC Scratch, but it's been dropped, plus the spring for the sun shield is broken.  I will probably stay with HJC, but may go with another model...not sure though.  While I agree that it's our head that we are protecting, the truth is that some of us are doing this on a VERY tight and limited budget.  I was not expecting to have to replace my helmet this soon (2 years), however it is what it is, and as such I am going to have to go lower price than what I wanted for my next helmet.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 12:10:30 AM »
I'm actually going to be helmet shopping tomorrow.

I have an HJC Scratch, but it's been dropped, plus the spring for the sun shield is broken.  I will probably stay with HJC, but may go with another model...not sure though.  While I agree that it's our head that we are protecting, the truth is that some of us are doing this on a VERY tight and limited budget.  I was not expecting to have to replace my helmet this soon (2 years), however it is what it is, and as such I am going to have to go lower price than what I wanted for my next helmet.

I'm old school. If you drop it you replace it.
I also believe as I've said before that once it gets the DOT it's all bells and whistles. You are not sacrificing safety by not spending 300.00 plus.

Most important is that it fits.

Be Big,
AMAC 
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()