Author Topic: I just don't get it.  (Read 5989 times)

kneeslider

• View Profile
Re: I just don't get it.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 12:53:14 AM »
I grew up with the saying , "buy the helmet as how you value your head'.

Yes, helmet price ranges from dirt cheap ones to uber expensive ones.  But the bottlm line is that you get one that is certified or branded. Those would have the R&D done together with proper QC, and some even being used by racers around the world.

What you are paying for would be those R&D work, certification, testing and the anything above the minimum would be weight savings, comfort-ability, air flow, design, graphics, aero dynamics etc. Wind noise doesn't factor in because they are not a win win item, the more holes in the hell of the helmet for air flow, the noiser it will be. No two ways around it  But that doesn't concern me as i wear ear plugs.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 01:32:58 AM »
I grew up with the saying , "buy the helmet as how you value your head'.

Yes, helmet price ranges from dirt cheap ones to uber expensive ones.  But the bottlm line is that you get one that is certified or branded. Those would have the R&D done together with proper QC, and some even being used by racers around the world.

What you are paying for would be those R&D work, certification, testing and the anything above the minimum would be weight savings, comfort-ability, air flow, design, graphics, aero dynamics etc. Wind noise doesn't factor in because they are not a win win item, the more holes in the hell of the helmet for air flow, the noiser it will be. No two ways around it  But that doesn't concern me as i wear ear plugs.

The Bell Helmets ad was something like "If you have a 10 dollar head, buy a 10 dollar helmet."
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 02:57:31 AM »
I'm old school. If you drop it you replace it.
I also believe as I've said before that once it gets the DOT it's all bells and whistles. You are not sacrificing safety by not spending 300.00 plus.

Most important is that it fits.

Be Big,
AMAC

You're right.  Mine was dropped, so it is getting replaced (there's no school like the old school).  Would like a $300-$400 Shoei helmet...absolutely.  Will I get one...nope.  DOT sticker and fit (and as I can afford it style and maybe a feature or two).
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 03:31:31 AM »
People buy Nikes because there are cool, people buy Arai because it's cool. I wouldn't pay $600 for a helmet but I've found multiple well taken care of used high end helmets on Craigslist, i would rather pay $150 for a used high end helmet than $150 for a crap new China helmet.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 04:35:56 PM »
Back in the day, late 70s I had Shoei that wasn't cheap. I think if it's a legit DOT certification just be happy. Those high end helmets look good and probably have the gel padding plus other bells and whistles. To each his own, just enjoy the ride.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 05:57:43 PM »
Guess its like the guys who buy Lambos and only drive it twice a year and go 35mph the whole time. Just spending money to say you own it. Not smart in my poor country book.

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 10:40:52 PM »
Just went to the Honda dealer today and ordered an HJC IS-17 (with orange...couldn't get it with yellow).  $170 with no sales tax (got it in NH).  I love my HJC Scratch, but as I said earlier I dropped it (well, I didn't, some idiot knocked it off my handle bars in a McDonalds parking lot...so, I guess it's just as much my fault for not just putting it under the seat...but still...lol).  Looking forward to the new Helmet even though our riding season is just about done here in Northern Vermont.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 03:19:46 AM »
Guess its like the guys who buy Lambos and only drive it twice a year and go 35mph the whole time. Just spending money to say you own it. Not smart in my poor country book.

Do you envy them? In my part of town, Lambos and other expensive cars are a common sight. I may not get to drive one in this lifetime, but at least I get to see them on the road! I'd love to see a Pagani Zonda. I don't care if they're careless with their money. They aren't spending my money.

I personally don't like spending my idea of too much on helmets since they are a wear item. But if a nice premium helmet shows up as last year's stock on clearance and it's time to replace my current lid, you bet I'd take it! Then for the rest of my helmet's lifespan I'd enjoy the extra value the soundproofing and aerodynamics provides at a fraction of the price. It may still not be cheaper helmet cheap, but there's value in it for me.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

gnvernon

• 2012 Kymco Super8 2T
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »
Do you envy them? In my part of town, Lambos and other expensive cars are a common sight. I may not get to drive one in this lifetime, but at least I get to see them on the road! I'd love to see a Pagani Zonda. I don't care if they're careless with their money. They aren't spending my money.

I personally don't like spending my idea of too much on helmets since they are a wear item. But if a nice premium helmet shows up as last year's stock on clearance and it's time to replace my current lid, you bet I'd take it! Then for the rest of my helmet's lifespan I'd enjoy the extra value the soundproofing and aerodynamics provides at a fraction of the price. It may still not be cheaper helmet cheap, but there's value in it for me.

I don't want to turn this intoa car forum but really? A Zonda? The most ridiculous hypercar know to man other than its older brother, the huayra. Think of how ugly that would be in scooter form.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »
I don't want to turn this intoa car forum but really? A Zonda? The most ridiculous hypercar know to man other than its older brother, the huayra. Think of how ugly that would be in scooter form.

Classic hahahaha
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
You're right.  Mine was dropped, so it is getting replaced (there's no school like the old school).  Would like a $300-$400 Shoei helmet...absolutely.  Will I get one...nope.  DOT sticker and fit (and as I can afford it style and maybe a feature or two).

And should be replaced every 5 years too

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 04:35:48 AM »

I have no idea what your tastes in scooters are, or what you find beautiful or passionate or ugly or unconventional. I have no idea how a Zonda in scooter form would look. Some examples I can offer of unique bikes: Big Ruckus? DN-01? Morpheous? Helix? All of which I'd like to see on the road on time to time.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()