Author Topic: Super 8 125 main fuse..  (Read 4159 times)

norrisg24

• View Profile
Super 8 125 main fuse..
« on: September 10, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »
Bike has done less than 400km and the main fuse has blown twice (are there any other fuses I only see one from the battery?). It happens when the bike is running and I believe its when I switch the indicators on. The bikes keeps running with side lights on but the headlight goes off, brake lights keep running, clock works, fuel gauge sticks.

Then after switching the bike off - nothing then works when ignition switched back on.

Same sequence happened twice, but weeks apart.

Its under warranty but dealer is miles away so id rather fix myself.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks!!
ps actually just noticed there are 3 fuses and the one that blows is in the white cover with red wire, there others are yellow cover, and white cover black wire??
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:41:59 PM by norrisg24 »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Super 8 125 main fuse..
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
It sounds like a short in the blinker circuit.
Hate to say it but you have to pull ALL the plastics of to find the fault. To blow a 25a fuse it will be a direct short to ground but being intermittent it may be a BEAR to locate
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

norrisg24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »
I've had a closer look at the fuses - there are 3.
One is 15a which must (?) be the main fuse and is intact.
one has black wires and is 7a and is in tact
the other has red wires 7a and keeps blowing

Does anyone know what the 3 do? I assume the indicators are causing the issue and they are 7a with the red wires??

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 01:15:47 PM »
I've had a closer look at the fuses - there are 3.
One is 15a which must (?) be the main fuse and is intact.
one has black wires and is 7a and is in tact
the other has red wires 7a and keeps blowing

Does anyone know what the 3 do? I assume the indicators are causing the issue and they are 7a with the red wires??
Any chance you are replacing with incorrect amp fuse?
Can you check in the owner's manual, or is there something written on/near the fuse holder?
I know this is pretty obvious....but then so are flipped kill switches.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

norrisg24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 02:16:42 PM »
Hi I've only used fuses orig. supplied and the spares located by the battery. thanks

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:00:35 PM »
According to your manual there should be two, Seven amp, and one, Ten amp fuses.
I know the 10a goes to the heaviest wire which is the starter fuse. (usually the red is the heaviest)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

norrisg24

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »
Just spoke to the main warranty guy in the uk - here's the deal...

the fuse that keeps blowing only controls the auto dipping headlight - not the indicators or anything else. But on mine when that fuse blows the indicators and fuel gauge stop working which should be on the black wire fuse - which is in tact.

Also the bike should continue to run and restart with this red wired fuse blown as it doesn't touch any of the other accessories. On mine once the engine is stopped, nothing then comes back on under ignition. He's most confused.

Upshot is, back to dealer under warranty....

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
According to your manual there should be two, Seven amp, and one, Ten amp fuses.
I know the 10a goes to the heaviest wire which is the starter fuse. (usually the red is the heaviest)

The manual for my 150 says the same thing. However, mine has two 7amp and one 15amp fuse in it from day one. Maybe they upgraded something and just didn't update the manual. There seems to be a lot of little discrepancies in the owners manual.

I know the holders for the glass fuses are crap. They get moisture in them every time it's wet out.
I know Vivo modded his fuses to inline blade style fuses because they're sealed from the elements better, and not as delicate to the bouncing around when riding. I have the new fuse holders to convert mine, but haven't gotten around to changing them out yet.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()