Author Topic: scoots down  (Read 2220 times)

blue

• View Profile
scoots down
« on: September 11, 2014, 02:24:21 AM »
Scoots down cant find out whats wrong.time to sale for parts.and get new.

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: scoots down
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:39:39 AM »
cant find out whats wrong
What engine, and which of the fuel-spark-compression related elements is deficient?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:56:59 AM »
Its a gy6 50 cc has spark and compression and geting gas.the last few mornings its been starting hard.I replaced the carb and still nothing.valves have been checked.and new battery.thinking its something in the wireing. Maybe cdi.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 12:40:28 PM »
gy6 50 cc has spark and compression and geting gas
If no intake manifold vacuum leaks, check timing . . sometimes the flywheel woodruff key will shear.  Insert a mini-screwdriver into the spark plug hole to determine when the piston is at top-dead-center while rotating the cooling fan . . then verify flywheel and camshaft sprocket timing mark alignment.

ValleyScooterParts offers free shipping over $15 . . so a replacement stock CDI and ignition coil would cost around $20.  ScrappyDog offers just the trigger pickup coil.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 12:43:26 PM »
If it's getting spark the CDI will not be bad. Is it a strong blue spark or weak yellow spark? Those cheap spark checkers from HF work really well for testing. Old plug hooked up and layed against a ground works well too.......is the plug wet after trying to start it? Does it fire up if quick start is sprayed into the air intake then die?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 01:01:09 PM »
Nice blue spark.and plug is wet.ill try to adjust timeing and valves again just to make sure.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 02:16:33 AM »
Its the stator I have no power come from it when motor turns over.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 04:03:41 AM »
Nice blue spark.and plug is wet.ill try to adjust timeing and valves again just to make sure.
If the spark can jump a 1/4" gap and the plug is wet you rich, puke rich. What's your jetting and any mods ?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »
Oh no it might be to rich.I did put a bigger gas line on.ill go back to a smaller one and try that.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:03:16 PM »
Fuel line size makes no difference in jetting.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »
+ one on the woodruf key. I've had a few slip/shear.
I'd do a compression test too. Maybe a burnt exhaust valve.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 12:56:35 AM »
Compression is over 120 .mmmmm has to be something in the wireing.if valve is burned would I still have that good of compression.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 01:25:02 AM »
has to be something in the wireing
AC or DC-CDI ignition system?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 01:46:11 AM »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 03:50:53 AM »
Compression is over 120 .mmmmm has to be something in the wireing.if valve is burned would I still have that good of compression.

The compression would feel good by hand or sound good on the electric start but it would never read good on an accurate tester.
If you have spark it cannot be a wiring issue.
I had one scoot that had the same problem. It went to three shops before the gal found me. I looked at the thing for three days before I thought of the crank key, and as soon as I put my hands on the flywheel/rotor, it spun on the crank.
Pulled the nut off, and found the key had sheared off level. I guess what happened was the nut loosened just enough for the rotor to slip. It's worth looking at.

One other thing I have done is put a socket in a 1/2" drill on a 6" x 3/8" extension and use the crank nut, and drill as an electric starter. Do this with a timing light, and the plug removed. It will spin the engine fast enough for you to read the timing marks.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()