Author Topic: Murphy's Law strikes again!!!  (Read 5446 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy's Law strikes again!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 09:35:01 PM »
It figures, with my luck, that something was bound to ruin my mood.
I finally bypassed the stupid Light Control Module on my Super8, so my lights work properly.
It's been running light a champ.
All is good...........Until this morning!

I got of work at 7 am, and while removing the lock cable from my rear wheel, I find a damn nail in it!!!
I can't win for losing!
So here's the big question.....
Can I plug a rear tire on my 150cc scooter, or am I going to have to take it to the dealer and have the whole wheel removed to patch or straight up replace the tire? The nail is dead center of the tire, in the thickest part of the rubber. I REALLY don't want to have to replace a tire with almost no tread wear.

Duke- 8)
120/80-14
Most searches seem to show this as a 'front tire'.....
I wonder, can it be used as a rear tire? Take a look and see if your present tire indicates it is a 'rear tire'.
Sure would try a plug on a new tire, especially in the center of the tread.....just keep 'er under 80mph on the turnpike!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/12081/i/avon-am63-viper-stryke-front-scooter-tire?SiteID=SLI|120%2080-14&WT.MC_ID=10010

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 04:13:00 AM »
Front rear designation doesn't make a difference on scooters. You gotta do what you gotta do! The best tire i could find for super 8's are the Pirelli Diablo.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 06:16:07 AM »
Front rear designation doesn't make a difference on scooters. You gotta do what you gotta do! The best tire i could find for super 8's are the Pirelli Diablo.
I thought front or rear tire was for the braking, my scooter can go 90 mph.,  long trips it rides good at 70 mph. or what ever the speed limit is,.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 06:48:03 AM »
This is quoted from Tire Maniac:

Rear motorcycle tires are responsible for certain bike functions, such as:
Power The rear tire has a flatter profile, to provide the majority of the acceleration and stability for your bike, and wouldn’t handle as well if put on the front.
Weight The rear tire carries the majority of the weight of the bike, calling for special design elements to keep you upright & safe at all times.
Lean Since the rear tire does not turn, it is subject to the lean of the motorcycle. This requires a sturdier tire with a flatter profile to accommodate this requirement.

Front motorcycle tires have specific characteristics, as well as limitations, including:
Braking The front tire provides up to 80% of the braking power for your motorcycle. It’s shaped to provide this, rather than acceleration like the rear tire
Turning The most obvious function of the front tire is turning right & left. A front tire is more triangular shaped for better handling. You would notice this if you were to try to put a rear tire on the front, as they aren’t shaped for turning and you’d have a hard time turning your bike properly.
Tread Because the front tire’s main purpose is braking, the tread isn’t going to be as thick. This would become very obvious if you were to run a front tire on the rear of your motorcycle. You would notice that the tread would wear down very quickly due to the thinner tread on a front-specific tire.

This is quoted from the Maxis web site:
Can I use a tire designed for the front on the rear of a motorcycle?

Answer

Tires marked as front or rear tires should only be used in their designated position. Correct matching of front and rear tires is critical to obtaining optimum performance and handling.

Front and rear tires have different handling needs. A front tire has a more triangulated profile for steering control, while a rear tire has a flatter profile for bike stability. Using a tire in a position for which it was not designed will result in reduced handling capability, putting the rider in danger.

Combining a new front tire with a worn rear tire or vice versa may cause instability. Always consult your vehicle’s manufacturer before modifying your motorcycle’s tires from stock.

I am running two REAR designated Diablos on my ZX-50. I did so because I only intended the bike to go in a straight line at 80+ MPH. I never had any intention of riding the bike on the street, and it has sat for about a year because of the way it is set up.
On a 50cc / 45MPH bike I don't think I would be overly concerned w/ what goes where, but as Dee Dee pointed out we are talking about 70+MPH on larger bikes.
Stick w/ what the PSTU figured out. (people smarter than us)

At .02 cents per opinion I figure I have 220.00 US invested here on the forum.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »
The dealer finally got back to me about the cost of a new tire......only because I called KymcoUSA myself and got the part number for them!
I seams that Cheng Shen is the only ones that offer a 120/80-14 rear tire, and it's only available through kymco.......for $130!!!!
I check kymcopartsmonster, and they have it for $90.
I ain't paying that much for a Cheng shen!
So I went ahead and put the plug in, and I'll look to upgrade both tires when I can.

After putting in the plug, I test rode for about 45 minutes (stopping to check the tire pressure every 5-10 minutes), and the pressure is holding perfect. No leaking! And, absolutely zero unbalance issues! No wobble or funny feeling in the tire.

As to upgrading to better tires later, I would love to put City Grips on it, but the closest rear tire size I see is a 140/60 or a 140/70 for a 14 inch rim. Same issue when I looked up the Diablo's.  Anyone ever put that size on the back of a Super8? If so, were there any clearance issues or modifications needed?  Appreciate any info!

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
Just chiming in here.....I put a plug in the rear tire of my Super 9 and rode for thousands of miles until I needed a new tire!  Worked for me.  Top speed was 48+ mph.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Honda Nighthawk 750
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200gt
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »
From my Googling it looks like there's a few rear suitable tyres in 120/80-14

Bridgestone B03
Bridgestone B03 Pro
Dunop TT900 GP
Dunlop Scootsmart
Heidenau K66
Heidenau K72
Sava MC28
Sava MC38
Maxxis C918

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »
The dealer finally got back to me about the cost of a new tire......only because I called KymcoUSA myself and got the part number for them!
I seams that Cheng Shen is the only ones that offer a 120/80-14 rear tire, and it's only available through kymco.......for $130!!!!
I check kymcopartsmonster, and they have it for $90.
I ain't paying that much for a Cheng shen!
So I went ahead and put the plug in, and I'll look to upgrade both tires when I can.

After putting in the plug, I test rode for about 45 minutes (stopping to check the tire pressure every 5-10 minutes), and the pressure is holding perfect. No leaking! And, absolutely zero unbalance issues! No wobble or funny feeling in the tire.

As to upgrading to better tires later, I would love to put City Grips on it, but the closest rear tire size I see is a 140/60 or a 140/70 for a 14 inch rim. Same issue when I looked up the Diablo's.  Anyone ever put that size on the back of a Super8? If so, were there any clearance issues or modifications needed?  Appreciate any info!

Duke- 8)

When I google "120/80-14" I get some hits. Even one on ebay (a Cheng) used for $27. Have you given that a try ?
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 04:03:45 PM »
From my Googling it looks like there's a few rear suitable tyres in 120/80-14

Bridgestone B03
Bridgestone B03 Pro
Dunop TT900 GP
Dunlop Scootsmart
Heidenau K66
Heidenau K72
Sava MC28
Sava MC38
Maxxis C918

Funny. I looked at bridgestone and dunlop a while back, and they didn't show anything in that size for a rear tire. Front tires, yes, but not for rear.
Maybe they've updated their products since I looked. I may have to check them out again.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 04:19:22 PM »
Seems that although the www knows these tyres exist, the USA importers may not.
For example, I just had a look at Dunlop's USA site, the Scootsmart isn't listed in any size.
Madness.

USA: http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/search/?q=scootsmart

UK: http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.eu/dunlop_uk/mc/tyres/scooter/scootsmart.jsp

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »
Take off the exhaust pipe, and the right side swing arm. It's easy. Just a few bolts that are Very obviuos.

I use a "C" clamp to break the bead off the rim, and a pair of flat bars like carpenters use or you can use a pair of hefty flat blade screw drivers. It is about the same as a ten speed actually.

Just be sure to keep the beads in the CENTER of the rim as you pry them off. The center has a hollow that makes more room for the tire, and allows the bead to easily fit over the outer rim.

If you look back to Kreps's pictures when his bolts were falling out... Those are the bolts you have to remove. Use blue Lok-Tite when reinstalling everything.

Hey zombie,
I guess when changing the rear tire, since the exhaust has to come off, do I need to have a new exhaust gasket when I re-install it?
Just checking to make sure, so I can get a new one before I upgrade the tires in a few weeks.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:49:16 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »
Here's a quick Amazon search of the 120/80-14 tyre

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=120+80+14+tires&sprefix=120+80+14%2Cautomotive%2C108&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3A120+80+14+tires

Many Dunlop, Avon, Bridgestone, and Pirelli choices

I looked on amazon already. All the tires they list for that size, are for front wheel not the rear. I won't put a front tire on the back, unless they're specifically designed to be used on either. The only ones I've found like that are for 13 inch and smaller rims.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
I would get a new gasket just in case. Most of them are some sort of asbestos like fiber w/ stainless steel compression wafers on each side. Once those are compressed they usually leak if you re-use them.

I'm with you on the front tire deal... I will use a rear on the front cause they are far stiffer. (rear tires) but front tires are usually flimsy in comparison.
I would just go for the next size up if you can't find the OEM size.
The Chen shin is crap. Please stay away from them. They are fine if you live in the third world, and get paid in rice but we have options here.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »
If it were me I'd have one of those patches put on that's a patch and a plug all in one. It's a patch with a plug already attached to it in the mfg process. You'll be good to go then.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()