Author Topic: Scam or no scam ? Used 2013 Kymco agility 50, 6000 miles  (Read 4275 times)

amed

• View Profile
Scam or no scam ? Used 2013 Kymco agility 50, 6000 miles
« on: September 22, 2014, 03:28:34 AM »
I found online someone who wants to sell their friend's scooter who moved to another state, it's a Kymco agility 50 bought new in summer 2013. They said she used it 3 months during summer and it's a bit weird how it was bought new and it has 6000 miles now on it after 3 months of riding. How safe is it to buy from a friend who has a signed title of their friend's scooter? I didn't see the scooter yet just texting with the friend who has the scooter and posted the ad, the price is $700, after asking about warranty they said the dealer didn't mention anything about it. Asked about owner manual she said the owner misplaced it, and they can take 50 bucks off the price for that. Please any in put could help to make a decision. I don't want to buy a stolen, or get in trouble  :-\

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Scam or no scam ? Used 2013 Kymco agility 50, 6000 miles
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 04:21:54 AM »
If your concerned just ask them to send you the vin, then call your DMV.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:04:57 AM »
Same here... You can pop off the inspection cover, copy the vin, and go to the local cop shop too. I had to do that w/ mine.

If they do have the title it is pretty sure it's not stolen BUT who knows the circumstances. Plus it is felony forgery for a second/third party to sign a title. If it's signed before you get there?? Who knows.

The mileage is a non issue. 5k miles in 90 days is just 55 miles per day. I do half of that but live in a 5 mile long town from end to end.
The warranty is transferable, and the manual is free on line Both non issues.

I would ask to see the signed title, and compare the frame number (under an egg shaped cover on the frame down tube between your feet). If the numbers match go to the local PD or DMV, and verify it's not reported.
Nothing worse than going to resister, and having to hand the bike over.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

amed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:32:27 PM »
If your concerned just ask them to send you the vin, then call your DMV.

Thank you for your response.

rpm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
I found online someone who wants to sell their friend's scooter who moved to another state, it's a Kymco agility 50 bought new in summer 2013. They said she used it 3 months during summer and it's a bit weird how it was bought new and it has 6000 miles now on it after 3 months of riding.

maybe it's only 6000 km - maybe the owner doesn't know the odometer shows km, not miles.  if so, it's only got 3728 miles!

amed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »
Same here... You can pop off the inspection cover, copy the vin, and go to the local cop shop too. I had to do that w/ mine.

If they do have the title it is pretty sure it's not stolen BUT who knows the circumstances. Plus it is felony forgery for a second/third party to sign a title. If it's signed before you get there?? Who knows.

The mileage is a non issue. 5k miles in 90 days is just 55 miles per day. I do half of that but live in a 5 mile long town from end to end.
The warranty is transferable, and the manual is free on line Both non issues.

I would ask to see the signed title, and compare the frame number (under an egg shaped cover on the frame down tube between your feet). If the numbers match go to the local PD or DMV, and verify it's not reported.
Nothing worse than going to resister, and having to hand the bike over.

Thank you for your response zombie.

So verifying the VIN with DMV is a common thing they do, are they going to charge me for that ? what else DMV can pull that can help me determine if this is a deal.

Let's say the bike is not reported/stolen according to VIN check, is  there any legal issue in buying from someone who doesn't own the bike but has a signed title by the owner (who is a friend who moved to another state) so there is no way to verify the identity of the owner. How can you tell if it's not a fake title/signature ?

amed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:47:11 PM »
I found online someone who wants to sell their friend's scooter who moved to another state, it's a Kymco agility 50 bought new in summer 2013. They said she used it 3 months during summer and it's a bit weird how it was bought new and it has 6000 miles now on it after 3 months of riding.

maybe it's only 6000 km - maybe the owner doesn't know the odometer shows km, not miles.  if so, it's only got 3728 miles!

No it's +9000 Km and it's the equivalent of 6000 miles

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 12:21:55 AM »
There is no charge to do a title search at DMV.
Also there are no handwriting annalists working there. If the title is signed by an ostrich, they are not there to determine that. Their only purpose there is to annoy you, and give you wrong answers to every question you may have.

However it is STILL a felony to sign someones name. You will also be needing a bill of sale so they can determine the Tax you owe.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 12:46:54 AM »
At least in Oregon, there is a section on the title for first second and third reassignment. This allows someone to transfer ownership for this exact reason. Legally if you have the title the bike is yours. My friend got his truck stolen with the title in the glove box, they took the title and changed it to their name (forged signature no big deal). My friend saw his truck on Craigslist and went to confront the seller, cops came and said they couldn't do anything because they had the title in their name. Lesson, #1 NEVER LEAVE YOUR TITLE IN YOUR BIKE!!!!!!! The dmv should look up the vin for free on the phone, depending on how cranky your clerk is. There are title search sites but i don't think they are accurate for scooters. Common sense says if the seller is willing to give you the vin, the bike should be ok. A thief isn't going to willingly hands out information like that.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

amed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »
So buying from someone who says that the owner of the scooter is their friend and they left the signed title with the bike so they can sell it while they are away, is this legit, any risks ? Should I have information of the person who is selling (name address, take a look at their ID/DL) even if it's not their bike, and since she is the one I am dealing with ? or there is a place in the title that can include the intermediates / seller if other than owner ?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »
No place for an "agent" on titles. Having their info is a plus. You will still need a bill of sale from the seller stating the VIN, and sales price to register. The signatures should at least be similar.

MoToFaLcon

• I Fly....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 09:56:29 PM »
I have about 10 a50s for sale in my area around that price. U sure you cant buy a different one? Probably the only one eh?
WTF, i have a Ninja 650!!

amed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 04:23:19 AM »
Yes I saw the scooter today and it was fine, I noticed it only goes 33-34 mph on flat ground, and I don't know if the rust in the little pipe that comes out of the exhaust is normal. How much you would recommend to offer to buy it ?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 05:46:47 AM »
Oh hell no...

30-40MPH is what they do., and tail pipes rust.

Since it runs... anywhere between $1.00, and $700.00 is fair. Since they made you take a couple hours of your time to research a less than normal transaction, I would lean closer to $500.00.
They cost around 1,300.00 new.

amed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »
Oh hell no...

30-40MPH is what they do., and tail pipes rust.

Since it runs... anywhere between $1.00, and $700.00 is fair. Since they made you take a couple hours of your time to research a less than normal transaction, I would lean closer to $500.00.
They cost around 1,300.00 new.

The owner's lowest price for me is $600 she won't go less than that, claiming there is a couple of guys who want to pay full price ($700). What about the tail pipes rust is it something that can cause problems, like the scooter not working,etc , this will be my main transportation. Thanks for following up with my questions.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()