Author Topic: Getting new tires for the Supe!  (Read 10032 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Getting new tires for the Supe!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 11:30:36 PM »
You mis-read... The bike w/ four sixes larger tires is the bike that handles 1000% better They are both taller, and wider.
Who ever knows this "well know fact" that wider tires handle worse is mistaken.

You are correct that mis shaping a tire is not a good idea but the reality is the physical dimensions of the bike, and what will actually will fit in the frame prevent this issue.

I have owned somewhere around 200 or so bikes. Every type you can think of. Wider (what will physically fit), has Always been better IMHO. Your mind is made up so I'll forget the rest.

Get new Chens, and be done w/ it!

You also mis read what I wrote. I didn't say that wider tires handle worse, but tires that are too big do.  You never answered the question of what you have on your super 8.  I don't know that a 140/70 rear will handle poorly on a super 8 but so far I have yet to see anyone post that they handle fine either.  I asked that question a while back but no one answered my question so I went with another Chen Shin.  The tech at my local dealer has seen problems with oversize tires and recommended against putting a 140 on the Super 8.  I have had friends put one size larger tires on their bikes and than decide to go back to the stock size.  It's not that the larger tires didn't work, just that the stock size felt better to them.  So I know that bigger is not always better.  How about those cruisers with monster rear tires?  Most reviews say they handle like crap but I have not personally ridden one

I have put oversize tires on some of my bikes with no problems however I never went up by more than one size.  If someone offered a 130/80-14 I wouldn't hesitate to put it on my super 8, especially something like a City Grip.  So, my mind is not up but in absence of any good information about a better tire, I will stick with what I know works fairly well.

My Aprilia Sport City also has an unusual sized rear tire and I ended up going up one size.  In that case I prefer the larger tire. 

I'm curious, what bike do you have with four times bigger tire that handles 1000% better.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 11:48:26 PM »
Ok, we are on the same page... Usually when you up size (equally front/rear) the bike is naturally taller, and this does throw some riders off their game. Reality is you have to re-learn the bike, just as when it was new.  Taller is Not always better tho. Some bikes squat better.

Those giant ass tires on choppers are just for looks, and are actually quite dangerous because of all the un-sprung weight. Blowouts happen, and people get hurt because of them.

Anyway... I don't own an S-8 but there is a thread on here where the owner went up one on the rear, and touted it as a night, and day improvement. I believe it was in the last 6 months, so I'm either mistaken or you did not find/see it.
Maybe someone will chime in here...

The ZX -50 is the bike I went up on the sizes so dramaticly. I actually have two rear desiginated tires on the bike.
The reason is I built the bike to run 1 mile speed runs, and modified the frame accordingly. It is 3.75" longer, and 1/75" shorter in the front, and rear. I went w/ a rear des. tire on the front to change the steering angle,(geometry), and give better straight line tracking.

I have ridden it as is on the street, and it handles like a dream, when before (oem) it fought hard to under steer.

If you do go larger on the rear you most likely will want to go larger on the front as well to keep the factory geometry (if that's what you like)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 01:31:37 AM »
Ok, we are on the same page... Usually when you up size (equally front/rear) the bike is naturally taller, and this does throw some riders off their game. Reality is you have to re-learn the bike, just as when it was new.  Taller is Not always better tho. Some bikes squat better.

Those giant ass tires on choppers are just for looks, and are actually quite dangerous because of all the un-sprung weight. Blowouts happen, and people get hurt because of them.

Anyway... I don't own an S-8 but there is a thread on here where the owner went up one on the rear, and touted it as a night, and day improvement. I believe it was in the last 6 months, so I'm either mistaken or you did not find/see it.
Maybe someone will chime in here...

The ZX -50 is the bike I went up on the sizes so dramaticly. I actually have two rear desiginated tires on the bike.
The reason is I built the bike to run 1 mile speed runs, and modified the frame accordingly. It is 3.75" longer, and 1/75" shorter in the front, and rear. I went w/ a rear des. tire on the front to change the steering angle,(geometry), and give better straight line tracking.

I have ridden it as is on the street, and it handles like a dream, when before (oem) it fought hard to under steer.

If you do go larger on the rear you most likely will want to go larger on the front as well to keep the factory geometry (if that's what you like)

I saw a post some time back from someone overseas found a 130 tire (one size up) for the Super 8 and really liked it.  That tire is not available here and was a brand I never heard of.  The only tires I can find here are two sizes larger, either 140/60-14 or 140/70-14.  Stock is 120/80-14.  A 140/60-14 would be wider but not as tall.  I'd go with the 140/170 because I prefer a taller tire.  I put a one size bigger rear tire on my Sport City with a stock front and liked the extra ground clearance and slightly quicker steering. 

However, I have not seen a review from anyone who used a 140-14 except for comments on how it fit.  No comments on handling.  I am very picky about how my bikes handle in curves.  I don't want weird feel and handling which can happen with wider tires  Obviously the profile and other characteristics of the tire make a difference too.  It is quite possible that on brand of oversize tire would work well while another might not.  I have tried a lot of tire combinations on a lot of bikes and so far nothing has worked really badly but some do work better than others. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 02:11:55 AM »
Quote:
 "It is quite possible that on brand of oversize tire would work well while another might not."

I agree 100% here. As I mentioned somewhere before that even the 1 mile rolling rate will vary between manufacturers on the same size tire.

Bottom line for me is, I'll try anything... If it doesn't work out then I go on to the next thing, and hope my experience will help out somewhere.

In this case I have really given all the help I can. You really need a fella that has tried what you want.
Have you tried any of the other scoot forums? I think there is an S-8 forum that Kreps was visiting...

Or perhaps give a shout to Kymco USA, and see if they have any leads for you. This question must have crossed their desk at some point

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »
Anyone here have knowledge and or experience with an MMG brand tire?

Upon a quick Amazon search for the 120/80-14 tire, I came across this ... advertised as a front/rear tire

Specs:
DOT Approved Tubeless Tire Rim Size 14"
Load Range B | 4 P.R. | Load Rating 58
Speed Rating P | Max Load 519 Lbs
Special rubber compound offers excellent grip and wear
Distinctive tread pattern offers precise stability and handling

http://www.amazon.com/80-14-Tubeless-Front-Motorcycle-Scooter/dp/B00KH5B9FS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1421771997&sr=8-10&keywords=120%2F80-14+scooter+tire

There are quite a bit of other brands listed in that size, but labeled as a "front" tire, including the Shinko ....
Shinko SR567 Scooter Motorcycle Tire - 120/80-14 58S / Front. Is this what is used as an OEM tire? If that's the case, I see no reason why we should not use any of the other brands.

<EDIT again> after reviewing the tire calculator, and further thoughts, I might be in favor of going with a 140/70-14 tire. I could use the additional top speed .... probably barely noticeable. It will probably more (if anything) noticeable of initiating a turn / lean, having a slightly wider tire.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:07:15 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 02:25:58 AM »
Go for it. It's just a scooter.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 03:35:18 PM »
I'm getting more motivated to getting better grip.

I don't ride (commute) in the rain ..... I promised the wife, and why increase the risk. However, I do / have ridden in the fog. Some days, more dense than others. A couple of times, I had the tires lose grip. Today was the second time, just rounding a simple right hander, had the front tuck for a moment. Thankfully, I have enough experience that allowed me to keep the scoot upright. Regardless, a bit of an unsettling moment and can drop ones confidence way down.

For those the have XXXXX miles on your OEM tires, I don't know how you've managed to keep your scoot upright. Or have you? ..... eeeeeesh!
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »
2-3 weeks ago I was day dreaming, (drinking my 40oz, and playing Nintendo actually), and when I looked up there was a nun standing in the cross walk.

I cut the bars, and the bike kept going straight. I put my feet down to stabilize, and she vanished.

Flying Nun!

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 05:17:50 AM »
   the 140/70  14 tire should have a 3 1/2 " to 4 1/2 " wide rim , have you checked the rim width size,. 

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 05:36:58 AM »
  tire size  120/80  14    load 520 lb.  speed 112 miles,  width  4.56 ",  dia.  22.13 "  cercumference 64.57  rim size 2.1/2 to 3",. 
                140/70  14           584                  112                       5.47             22.28                            65.63               3.50  to 4.50

iamross

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 08:19:46 AM »
It is a normal scene here in the Philippines to see S8's running on FDR 140/70 rear.

But I prefer 110/70 Front, 130/70 Rear... it's Mizzle btw. Awesome grip. :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:17:22 AM by iamross »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 01:56:29 PM »
Hey Jamross,

Do us a favor, and find Vivo! H'es acting a fool, and not talking to us!!!

I'll post ya a big smiley face if you find him...

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 02:55:01 AM »
I just put another OEM rear tire on my S-8.  The last tire went well over 10,000 miles.  I have a City Grip on the front.  I ride in rain & wet roads fairly often, sometimes in snow & ice.  I don't find the OEM tires to be that bad.  If I could find another brand rear tire that was the correct or one size up I'd try it but this new tire will take my scooter to nearly 30,000 miles so it will be a while until I need another tire. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 03:06:42 PM »
klav,
Did you get it at a dealer? Being nosey too, but will you share what the stock tire cost along with any additional mounting/balancing costs?
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 11:31:02 PM »
I just put another OEM rear tire on my S-8.  The last tire went well over 10,000 miles.  I have a City Grip on the front.  I ride in rain & wet roads fairly often, sometimes in snow & ice.  I don't find the OEM tires to be that bad.  If I could find another brand rear tire that was the correct or one size up I'd try it but this new tire will take my scooter to nearly 30,000 miles so it will be a while until I need another tire. 
(I had to put on a 150/70-13 to replace a scarce 140/70-13  on my Forza - no issues and the radar says my speedo is DEAD accurate with the new tire. Go figure.)
But what I'm really writing about is to ask Klaviator to post some more of his great scooterin' pictures!
Thanks in advance...Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()