Author Topic: A new purchase  (Read 1756 times)

docjones

• View Profile
A new purchase
« on: September 24, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »
I'm about to buy an 09 Grand Vista. Any known problems I should be looking for? Are parts still available at my local dealer? I know from past experience that Kymco makes a great scoot, just wondering about this one model.
09 Agility 125

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Re: A new purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:15:55 PM »
There should be no big problems.  Make sure it is a seller that did his/her regular oil changes and services. Make sure all works, including mirrors and instruments.

You did not say how many miles are on it, but at around 8000 miles, or 14-16,000 miles it needs a major "check" of everything, belt, valves, etc.  Small things can go wrong and parts are no problem to get from the dealers.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
As an '09, the tires are probably cracking and ready for replacement, if not already replaced.

Also, the battery may be original and may need replacement (mine is still working).

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

docjones

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:14:08 PM »
Thanks you two. I did a quick check out on the unit. No battery in it so I couldn't check out the electrical system. Will do that on Saturday. Owner claims 1600 miles. Front tire looks brand new except it is probably the original. Now here is the clincher. Rear tire is bald as it can be. Cords even showing thur. No way this bike has only 1600 miles on it unless the guy did burn outs holding the front brake or towed it across the country with just the rear tire on the ground. I can't wait to hear his explanation, I'll let you know. Thanks in advance.    Tom
09 Agility 125

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »
Congrats on your find.  I would LOVE to get my hands on a GV.  Unfortunately where I live people seem to be obsessed with Vespa's (a bike that I am sure is decent, and certainly has history, but I personally REALLY dislike) so finding a used Kymco other than the occasional 50cc is rare..
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »
The rear tire should last beween 3000-6000 miles, depending on the aggressiveness of the rider, and if Hwy or curvy roads, or city stop and go.  1600mls and bald to the core is not "normal", and as you say, probably way more miles or abuse.  Let us know what the seller's explanation is....

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 08:28:26 PM »
You probably have to travel in a radius of about 150 miles, but then usually you have a choice of GrandVista's.  Search "for sale" on the internet.

Congrats on your find.  I would LOVE to get my hands on a GV.  Unfortunately where I live people seem to be obsessed with Vespa's (a bike that I am sure is decent, and certainly has history, but I personally REALLY dislike) so finding a used Kymco other than the occasional 50cc is rare..

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 12:59:57 AM »
You probably have to travel in a radius of about 150 miles, but then usually you have a choice of GrandVista's.  Search "for sale" on the internet.

Done that, the closest I can find is past 300 miles, and I'm not sure I trust a used bike that I have to take the owners word on for a 300 mile trip as the first trip.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()