Author Topic: '07 KYMCO Super 9 restrictive boss drive photo  (Read 14919 times)

scootermaven

• View Profile
'07 KYMCO Super 9 restrictive boss drive photo
« on: October 13, 2009, 04:28:50 PM »
I am a Super 9 newbie, so I thought I would post this photo to help other Super 9 newbies understand one reason why a restrictive Super 9 is annoyingly way too slow.  I am getting ready to take the piece in the photo to a local machine shop and have the restrictive metal portion machined off hoping to get to 40 mph or somewhere thereabouts.

Happy scootin'!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:42:42 AM by scootermaven »
I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

scootermaven

• View Profile
Re: '07 KYMCO Super 9 restrictive boss drive photo
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:53:33 AM »
Okay, so I had the restrictive boss drive machined-down by a local machine shop for $10.00.  All I can say is, WOW...what a HUGE difference in performance!  :o ;D  Not only does the scooter go approximately 10-12 mph faster, it also doesn't sound like the drive-train is about to explode at 30 mph.  This is probably the best $10.00 (plus a little easy labor time) I have spent on any scooter I have owned to date.

Hope this will help some new owners of restricted Super 9's somehow.

Happy scootin'!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 08:33:55 PM »
Great post!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 12:25:33 AM »
Great post!

Thanks, Zombie!  The Super 9 I just purchased about a week ago was so slow and choked to death, I just had to post this so other new KYMCO Super 9 owners can at least get this partial derestriction done right away.  It sucks that such a great scooter has to originally be sold that way to begin with.  I bought the scooter with 350 miles on it from a teenager whose dad purchased it for him just to ride around the neighborhood.  I don't think the kid realized what he had that could potentially be unleashed with a little research and effort.  I knew it could because of the Super 9 owners that ride in the local scooter club, not to mention I have owned derestricted People 50's that would fly.  I don't think the kid had a clue, but his loss is SO my gain.  Now, I am trying to decide what restriction to tackle next...probably the exhaust, which I know will require carborator rejetting and then the CDI.  What would you advise, bang for the buck, so to speak?

Happy scootin'! ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 07:55:04 AM »
Top end will love the cdi! Aftermarket rollers/ clutch spring kits are cheap, and easy. Most of the tuning headache comes w/ the pipe/ jets. I am always fooling w/ the carb/ ignition to squeeze a little more out of it. Today I went up two sizes on both the idle, and the primary, Took all the packing out of the Technigas silencer, and installed a BR7HSA plug. If it's any quicker, I couldn't really say yet, but it sure sounds faster.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:58:29 AM »
You Americans are lucky bastards because the market is so big so you can benefit from the "economy of scale" and there is a variety of choices, distributors and vendors. I was always amazed how easy it is for you to get something delivered overnight. Now it's a bit better with Internet and ebay for the rest of the world but still, you are lucky because you can buy things easily, cheaply and experiment to see what works. If I want to change something on my scooter, I have to spend months online finding someone who will ship overseas (and always pay up front, most vendors charge 40 US$ to ship anything and I have to wait to see if I will be scammed in the end).

It's a bit better only for Italian scooters because I live 40 miles from Italian border... and I was wise enough to replace my Beverly with People. :) :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:00:48 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 01:04:47 PM »
Which machine shop did you use?  If you could post their contact info, or call me with it I'd appreciate it.  I used to take containers full of them to have 'em cut down.  The bill was usually $100-130 or so.  Glad you got the derestriction sorted.  Make sure to re-jet if you do change the exhaust.  It's absolutely necessary.

I'm nearly done with repairs to my lathe.  I will be cutting drive bosses in-house soon.

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »
I can feel your pain axy. Until I started to look on the "net" I was at the will of the local dealer ( who is far less informed than MOST of the riders I have met) A lot of research into what works/ who has the best price/ and cheapest shipping route, goes a long way. The only draw back where I live is all the want to be on Jerry Springer trailer park dwellers. New York boy married to a back country girl. Thats MY pain...

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 02:40:24 AM »
Which machine shop did you use?  If you could post their contact info, or call me with it I'd appreciate it.  I used to take containers full of them to have 'em cut down.  The bill was usually $100-130 or so.  Glad you got the derestriction sorted.  Make sure to re-jet if you do change the exhaust.  It's absolutely necessary.

I'm nearly done with repairs to my lathe.  I will be cutting drive bosses in-house soon.

~Josh

Josh,

I used Allison's Machine Shop, 812 S. Fayetteville St. (under pet store), Asheboro, NC  27203, ph: 336.625.5394.  If you want to get some boss drives machined, just give them to me at our next scoot-in or ride and I will get them done for you.

The boss drive is the only derestriction I have done so far, mainly because I could do it locally and mostly myself.  I did have a friend who owns an automotive garage just up the street loosen and tighten the variator nut with an impact wrench for me.  I can see I'm gonna have to get me one of those soon.   

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 07:51:40 PM »
Rigid, makes a decent cordless 1/2" impact for a fair price. It's great for around the house projects. Even did a good job changing tires/ wheels on my truck.

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 08:22:36 PM »
Rigid, makes a decent cordless 1/2" impact for a fair price. It's great for around the house projects. Even did a good job changing tires/ wheels on my truck.

Good to know!  I also hear that Harbor Freight has a decent one for around 30.00 or so, but I'll have to check that out sometime.

Happy scootin'! ;D 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 09:05:44 PM »
I'll save you the $ right now. Harbor freight power tools are not made to be used. They look good on the wall w/ a low price, but will not perform or last. Spend the extre 100. and get a good one.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »
Josh,

I used Allison's Machine Shop, 812 S. Fayetteville St. (under pet store), Asheboro, NC  27203, ph: 336.625.5394.  If you want to get some boss drives machined, just give them to me at our next scoot-in or ride and I will get them done for you.

The boss drive is the only derestriction I have done so far, mainly because I could do it locally and mostly myself.  I did have a friend who owns an automotive garage just up the street loosen and tighten the variator nut with an impact wrench for me.  I can see I'm gonna have to get me one of those soon.  

...dude...I live in Randleman....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 11:04:58 PM »
...dude...I live in Randleman....

Well, dude, what a coincidence.  We should get together and ride sometime.  I ride freequently with a scooter group out of Greensboro called Scooter Invasion, passing right through Randleman.  You may know Josh...a.k.a. Areomyst on here.  Send me a PM and we'll exchange phone numbers if you want.

Happy scootin'! ;D

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 01:09:51 AM »
I have the harbor freight cordless impact gun I got on sale for $30.  It works well for the variator, clutch and front axle nuts.  I tried to use it on some car lug nuts and it didn't have quite enough torque, but works well for what I bought it for, the scooter!  I figured at $30 it's pretty much disposable!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()