Author Topic: Storing scoot for winter?  (Read 4664 times)

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Storing scoot for winter?
« on: October 06, 2014, 04:54:44 PM »
Is a full tank best or a 1/4 tank for less to sour? We're talking maybe a solid 4 months if winter is bad. Appreciate any input. Any suggestions for a stabilizer if needed? Carbed scoot, Kymco movie 150.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: Storing scoot for winter?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 05:17:48 PM »
Back in the day I'd add stabil or Startron to a gas can, shake and fill scoot. Take for ride.
Remove or battery tend the batt and that was it. Never an issue.

Now I pack it up and move it south.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
Ideally full tank to prevent rust on a metal tank, empty on plastic. Also if you have a carb bike, for God's sake drain you float bowl!!!!!!! If you don't, you WILL have to clean the carb after 4 months. Stabil only slightly helps. If it HAD to sit with gas, fill it up with ethanol free so the gas doesn't soak moisture out of the air. The only fool proof way, drain the float bowl and don't start the bike until your ready to use it again.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:12:17 PM »
Bet thanks for your input, where I live getting real gas is impossible.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:25:57 PM »
If the scoot is in a placw were you can go out and start it up and let run for a few.thats best.because it will help keep the petcock clean a nd the carb.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 06:28:03 PM »
Full tank is better than part full due to condensation from temp swings.

I always fog out engines before storing them. Meaning add 10-12 ounces per gallon of either Marvel Mystery oil, or automatic transmission fluid, Rig up a fuel line to any container, and run the bike on this mixture. You will have to apply a fair amount of throttle to keep from fouling out. You only need to do this for 15-20 seconds. While it is revving/smoking like a forest fire, disconnect the fuel, and let the carb run dry.

After that cap off the exhaust, and intake with plastic bags, and do an oil change for the engine. Fresh oil will protect the internals.

Pull out the battery, and store it away from freezing temps.

I prefer Sta-Bil to all the other snake oils. Use the BLUE Sta-Bil made for ethanol fuel cause like B&L said, eth. will attract water.

In the spring pull off the bags, and install a new spark plug, and kick it over. It will smoke for 20 or so seconds but it will clear. It will run sh**ty because of the old gas so I would also suggest siphoning it out, and starting w/ fresh fuel.

This only takes 1/2 hour from start to finish but you can technically store the bike for decades this way.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I have had good luck over the years
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:12:53 PM »
by:

Storing with a full tank of high octane gas to reduce condensation. (prefer ethenol free)
I add Sta Bil, octane booster, and GumOut carb/injectior cleaner.
Scoots/motorcycles etc. stay on battery tender through the cold/bad months.
Start and run every week or two.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
Don't start and run for a short time like some do. The temperature never gets high enough to burn off condensation.

Fill the tank (I use ethanol free) and add an overdose of Stabil and ride it for maybe 5 miles.

Attach a trickle charger, put the scoot/ motorcycle on the center stand to take weight off of the tires.

Cover the scoot with a common bed sheet or cycle cover.

When taking the scoot out of storage to start the riding season, the most important part is tire air pressure as it goes down quickly when not in use.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 12:37:14 PM »
Ride it. 

Nothing like riding in a brisk day to shut up the Harley riders. 

Actually with the proper precautions and being smart about things there is no reason why you can't ride year round.  Unless ice is a serious issue.  Never ride on ice.  www.yearroundriders.com

Of course I live in a semi-tropical climate so what the hell do I know. 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 08:22:26 PM »
A guy from Florida tells us to just ride all the time:)

I could when I live in Southern California but Missouri gets colder than a witches teat!

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 11:16:01 PM »
I used to live in Danbury, Ct. One day I had to ride up to Rhode Island, and it was around 15* f.
By the time I got there my ign was frozen solid. I couldn't turn off the key or use any of the bar controls. (kawi LTD)

Cold is cold.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 02:19:17 AM »
I had my gas tank off today to replace the fuel filter with NAPA #3011 and lines. Is removing the gas tank and completely emptying it then out of the question as far as winterization goes ?
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 02:40:43 AM »
It's overkill, the only thing that really can't have gas in it if it sits is the carb. Gas will go bad in the tank but won't damage anything unless it sits for years, and only in metal tanks.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »
I used to live in Danbury, Ct. One day I had to ride up to Rhode Island, and it was around 15* f.
By the time I got there my ign was frozen solid. I couldn't turn off the key or use any of the bar controls. (kawi LTD)

Cold is cold.

If the roads are clear of snow and ice, with the proper gear and mindset there is no reason you can't ride in lower temps.  The problem is not the cold itself but the wind.  Protecting yourself with layers of clothing helps (I've actually ridden at freezing and slightly below freezing temps) and this can be as simple as a pair of "sweat pants" over your jeans. 

Protecting you hands and feet is a little harder.  Extra socks in the boots help there.  If you don't have windproof gloves then a simple pair of latex gloves under your riding gloves will help.  An extra layer traps the heat your body generates.

Protect the neck with a scarf, turtleneck, anything that protects it. 

Remember its not the cold but the wind that is your enemy.   8)  Simply don't expose your skin to it.

http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2013/12/cold-weather-challenges-part-two.html

Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 12:32:03 PM »
TY Just ordered a thin Balaclava from ebay in the USA for $4.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()