Author Topic: Beware that time of year!  (Read 3834 times)

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Beware that time of year!
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:35:28 PM »
Watch out for leaves and wet ones especially, their like ice and will put you on your butt quick.

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: Beware that time of year!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 02:35:20 AM »
Speaking from experience there?
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 02:40:34 AM »
Been there done that.

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »
Watch out for the idiots that mow their yards and direct the grass discharge into the road! A bike/ scooter can go down quickly especially if the grass is in a corner.

I was riding my Yamaha T-max 500 on a beautiful country road, doing about 65 mph when I crested a small hill and there in front of me was a sea of thick, green grass, right in the middle of the road and a brain dead farmer driving a big ZTR mower, just oblivious to the world around him. Thank GOD I had room to slow down!

Leaves, tar snakes, painted cross walks, RR tracks, steel repair plates, sand and gravel, oil, antifreeze, road kill etc are all big dangers for scooters with little diameter tires! Dew, frost and black ice are coming soon so beware.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Beware that time of year! l.p.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:30:14 PM »
Watch out for the idiots that mow their yards and direct the grass discharge into the road! A bike/ scooter can go down quickly especially if the grass is in a corner.

I was riding my Yamaha T-max 500 on a beautiful country road, doing about 65 mph when I crested a small hill and there in front of me was a sea of thick, green grass, right in the middle of the road and a brain dead farmer driving a big ZTR mower, just oblivious to the world around him. Thank GOD I had room to slow down!

Leaves, tar snakes, painted cross walks, RR tracks, steel repair plates, sand and gravel, oil, antifreeze, road kill etc are all big dangers for scooters with little diameter tires! Dew, frost and black ice are coming soon so beware.

[/quot

Nature seems to hate scooters along with everything else. Look out for land sharks as well.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 01:42:27 AM »
At this time of year I use my back brakes more.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 02:50:45 AM »
I was running a brush hog type tractor for a friend last week, and kept hearing these dull "thumps" coming from the bar deck. I thought maybe the PTO bearing or something... I was about to step off the top, and saw more garter snakes than I thought could ever have lived. Hundreds of them.
When I looked where I had cleared... Snake hell number 1.

I know it's a horrible story... These combined posts reminded me.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:03:21 AM »

You left out the steel grating on draw bridges that  each line moves you left until your in the middle of the oncoming lane or at least you feel you gonna do that.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 04:49:53 AM »
How about after it snows, and the city is too broke to clean up it's stinkin' gravel off the roads lol. Last winter they took literally 5 months to get it all off the roads.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

MoToFaLcon

• I Fly....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »
All i have to say is i love sleet in the eye balls. And im poor :(
WTF, i have a Ninja 650!!

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
How about after it snows, and the city is too broke to clean up it's stinkin' gravel off the roads lol. Last winter they took literally 5 months to get it all off the roads.

You're right! That is why I bought a windshield last spring. ::)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 12:21:52 AM »
Yep, the tar snakes are a trip!
Never knew what they were called.
City just made a zillion of them around here, and I can feel my tires trying to follow them in the dry - and very much so in the wet.
Still learning how the Dunlop "Happy Scoot" (or whatever they're called) tires on my Forza are going to react to different road conditions. Did find this review of the tire....but, well...maybe a German friend can tell me what the heck they're saying!? (seem to have more trouble with the bikes in the wet than the tires)

Rain riding all this week...easy does it around off-camber corners with man-hole covers and wet leaves!!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 02:38:27 AM »
All i have to say is i love sleet in the eye balls. And im poor :(

I'm in Fl.. Can we make a deal where I buy your sleet, and you won't be poor any more?
Just a thought...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 02:46:27 AM »
Quote Stig:
"Yep, the tar snakes are a trip!
Never knew what they were called."

They suck. It;s the tar they use to fill the cracks in the road surface that are caused by improper bed layment. One of my many other life jobs... Core samples from newly laid ashphalt.
I have taught my spell check more words than it has caurecketed! Go figuer!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:48:00 AM by zombie »

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 08:32:56 PM »
Welld spelllld Z. Your smart in common sense and mechanical issues. You also can have an attitude depending where in life you are...........I consider myself the same. With less knowledge of scoots...............lol

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()