Author Topic: Super 8 150cc won't start after rain storm  (Read 4121 times)

soulcougher

• View Profile
Super 8 150cc won't start after rain storm
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:59:17 AM »
I am a new owner of a Super 8 150cc scooter.  I've had it for about month now and it's great.  Today I was about to ride it back home from work.  It was fine for about 30 seconds but then it died on me.  It had been raining most of the day and me being a dumbass forgot to bring my motorcycle cover.  I tried several times to start it again but never got it to start properly again.  I left it at work inside a garage so it hopefully will dry out overnight.  If I can't get my scooter to work tomorrow what should I do?
Fingers crossed!
Jim

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 150cc won't start after rain storm
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:55:55 AM »
I have had issues with mine acting up in the rain occasionally.  My zx50 has cut out intermittently while riding in heavy rain.  I have always been able to limp home and it would be fine once it dried out.  I just figure it was related to something electrical getting wet.  Anyways, keep your fingers crossed and hopefully all will be well tomorrow!  ;)

soulcougher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 03:11:04 AM »
So generally it is not advizable to ride it in the rain??  I do not want to get stuck halfway home because it is about 10 miles from my house to work.  Is it rare or often during rainstorms?  I see people riding motorcycles all the time in the rain.  Hopefully just using the cover while parked and riding in the rain would be fine... right?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:39:03 AM »
I have never actually been stranded, it has always got me home, just not very fast!  It usually cuts out on me while riding at full throttle and I slowly decelerate to maybe 10mph when it will kick back in for a minute, then repeat the process.  It has only done that to me 3-5 times in the 1 1/2 years that I have owned it.  I don't hesitate to ride in the rain though, as it is currently my only transportation.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:54:53 AM »
I have an nc/50 (honda) that will stall if i ride on a wet road AFTER a shower. Water is pulled into the points by the vacuem created by the magneto. Yours is MOST likely electrical, and should dry out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

soulcougher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »
Well today I still couldn't get home but I can get the motor to run and rev it up a little bit before it conks out.  So hopefully when I go back to work on Monday it will be ready to ride.
BTW public tranportation here in Philly blows!  Thats the main reason I got the scooter.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »
...what I've found on my Agility 50 is, that sometimes after I've ridden in the rain, the next day my scoot will start, run until it warms up, then dies...

..will not restart until I've dis-assembled the carb and thoroughly spray out all the ports with carb cleaner..

..I've replaced fuel lines, filter, air filter and this happened again just the other day...

..this time I loosened the clamp that fastens the carb to the intake, removed it without disconnecting anything else...(has a high-flow air filter) turned it upside down and shook the hell out of it..

..re-installed, and wtf...fired right up....

???
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()