Author Topic: Gen set (off scoot topic)  (Read 666 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Gen set (off scoot topic)
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:49:47 PM »
Am thinking long and hard about buying a generator for our home, I have a small 1K watt unit now, which is good for a few lights a fan or TV type use, but if we had no power for more than a week I'd soon run out of gas and it won't run a fridge either.

So I'm thinking of getting something a bit larger 4-6K watts that runs on NG or tri fuel (NG, LP, gas).

NG gives you and endless supply of fuel where LP needs a refill as does gasoline and you can easily run out of both and so can stores.

My question is, I can get a NG gen set for $700 or a tri fuel unit (same output) for another $300, which should I go for?

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Gen set (off scoot topic)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »
IMHO it's a no brain'er. Options are always better.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:27:34 PM »
I have 3 generators that I keep maintained and ready to go, just in case!

2 are Honda 1500 watt gens that are 1981 and 1986 models and still start and run like new. The new one as of last year is a 2,300 watt Yamaha gen. The Honda's run 11 hours on 3 gallons but I'm not sure about the Yamaha yet.

We live in the country and we sometimes have power outages mainly due to ice storms, that shut things down from a few hours to a few weeks. We are all electric except for a propane powered closed fireplace system that must have an electric blower to be efficient.

Someday we want one of those high powered units that is wired into the house and comes on automatically when needed.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:14:50 AM »
I have 3 generators that I keep maintained and ready to go, just in case!

2 are Honda 1500 watt gens that are 1981 and 1986 models and still start and run like new. The new one as of last year is a 2,300 watt Yamaha gen. The Honda's run 11 hours on 3 gallons but I'm not sure about the Yamaha yet.

We live in the country and we sometimes have power outages mainly due to ice storms, that shut things down from a few hours to a few weeks. We are all electric except for a propane powered closed fireplace system that must have an electric blower to be efficient.

Someday we want one of those high powered units that is wired into the house and comes on automatically when needed.

Sam:)

You can find them at times on craigslist from estate sales, not used very often they can be a good buy.

I'm just looking to grab something relativly cheap so that if power does go out for more than a few hours we have the ability to run the pump for our hot water heating system if winter and our fridge if summer. A/C would be nice but roughing it a few days isn't too bad, we can always drag a mattress down the basement for cooler sleeping conditions.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()