Author Topic: Ignition key switch, tune up, etc  (Read 7029 times)

stl mike

• View Profile
Ignition key switch, tune up, etc
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:24:16 AM »
Hello everyone,
   I'm brand new to scooters, but not new to turning wrenches. I'm an engineer for a major aerospace company and a maintenance officer in the Navy reserves as well. I just finished building a 95 Cobra on nitrous. Just looking around it seems to be a great forum with a lot of knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Picked up a 2002 People 2 stroke for 200 bucks. The battery is dead and it didn't come with keys, so I need to replace the battery and get an ignition key switch and the 2 locks for the seat and storage. Where is the best place to do this?

Also where is the best place to order factory parts?

Again, thanks in advance!
Mike

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition key switch, tune up, etc
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 04:41:28 AM »
Kymco parts monster has been highly recommended here, and I have used them a few times myself.
http://www.kymcopartsmonster.com

You're gonna want a new CVT belt/Rollers/spark plug/fuel, and air filters. All that + the Ign set should run around 150.00.
Do a compression test on the engine before anything else. 2t's wear out quickly or are prone to serious damage from simple mistakes. You should see numbers above 120 psi w/ the throttle held wide open.

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great people here.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:45:59 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 01:52:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I found the ignition switches but it says "call us", I'm thinking this may sting a bit.

I see people referring to to their scooters as 2d and 4d. Are they saying 2 stroke = 2d and 4 stroke = 4d?

I'm going to call a dealer and see what my options are for a key today.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »
2T, and 4T. Yes that is the 2 stroke/4 stroke abbreviation. The ignition sets usually run 50 - 70.00 bucks.
The "call us" is generally for a non-stock item. It may take a few weeks to get.

Please keep us informed how you make out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 05:22:32 PM »
Got a batttery coming from amazon, ~21 bucks.

Got the below from the local dealer:
new ignition and storage lockset (P/N 35010-KFA6-E0B) ~45 bucks
"Special screw" ~5 bucks
Winker (blinker) lens ~10 bucks

Should all be here friday, tues at the latest. We'll see if this thing runs first, and go from there. I'll advise.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 05:28:20 PM »
Compression test first thing. above 120 PSI w/ the throttle wide open.

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »
Wilco Zombie. Can I do this with the kickstart or should I wait for the starter? No difference right?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:15:22 PM »
No Diff!

I usually go three to four good stiff kicks to be sure.

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »
What size socket does this spark plug take? Doesn't look like a standard 5/8, more like a 21mm (ish)....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »
13/16", 3/4" or 5/8" I forget which.

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »
Has to be 13/16 b/c my 21mm fits loosely.

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 02:05:57 AM »
Ok. ... replaced the spark plug.

Compression test results- ~8 kicks and the compression continued to rise with every kick.  I stopped at 210psi. I'll call that good.

My new ignition key at comes tomorrow but I couldn't wait.  I clipped the green wires on the switch side of the plug and butt connected them,  then put a switch between the red and black. 

I installed the new battery that came Friday, put in fresh 2 stroke oil and filed up some gas (tank was empty). The fuel filter housing was not screwed on tight so it started pouring out. Tightened that up.

The scooter started right up but it smokes kinda bad and it has no power on the top end! I do have the air intake off,  does this make a drastic difference?

Next step is to install the new parts tomorrow and clean the carb.

I'd like to get it running good stock and then look into derestricting it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 03:06:15 AM »
Most likely a gummed up carb, and air filter. It probably won't run at all w/o the air filter in place. Some do but most don't.

pull the carb apart. Every piece. Chem Dip is the best thing for an old carb. Soak it for 24-48 hours, and re assemble AFTER blowing out ALL the passages w/ Carb Clean/Brake Clean.

DON"T touch the Chem Dip. You will stink of it for days no matter what you use to get it off. A glass bowl of it or just put the parts in a gallon can of it. Use wires to fish it out or a screen basket. Rubber gloves are a must.
Also DON't put any plastic parts in it.

While your carb is being transformed to new, replace the air filter.

I also think your oil pump was leaking into the block as it sat. The compression would NEVER have gone that high unless the cylinder/rings were sealed w/ oil.
Since you rode it, most of that oil is gone so I would repeat the Comp. test just to be certain it is good. 140 is the highest I have seen in a scooter engine

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 12:42:34 PM »
any idea where to get a cheap little air filter that will clamp to the carburetor? I'm assuming I'll have to re-jet....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »
Ebay/Parts for scooters.com/just about every scooter site has them. Usually around 10 bucks or less.

If you get one... stay out of the rain, and covet it w/ a plastic bag when you wash the bike.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()