Author Topic: Ignition key switch, tune up, etc  (Read 7031 times)

stl mike

• View Profile
Re: Ignition key switch, tune up, etc
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 01:47:31 PM »
Alright, parts came in. Hopefully I'll be able to install tonight. I got an air filter from Autozone (Spectre 4282, $11) if it helps anyone.

I pulled the seat off last night and removed the carb for cleaning tonight. I have a new question:

Fuel filter housing - When I top off the gas tank, this housing basically pours fuel out the bottom. I've unscrewed the housing, reseated the filter and screwed the housing back on multiple times and it still seems to leak. Seems a simple solution would be to remove the entire housing, cap the vacuum line and install an inline filter with a manual fuel shutoff valve? 

I'm also working on some pics!

stl mike

• View Profile
Re: Ignition key switch, tune up, etc (PICS ADDED)
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 04:19:12 AM »
Got the ignition switch installed, cleaned the carb and removed the vacuum regulated fuel filter. I installed a manual fuel petcock and inline filter-works great, no leaks.

The bike starts right up and idles pretty good, but I can't get the bike to go faster than about 25mph. It feels like it bogs when I roll any more than halfway into the throttle.

I pulled the front cover off and it appears the person before me clipped the green wire on the bottom of the CDI and installed the connector. I drove the scooter with and without this connected and it makes no difference.

I ordered a derestricted boss today at the dealer. With the CDI wire clipped, I'm wondering if a dealer did a derestriction already. Tomorrow I'll pull the CVT cover and look around.

Any thoughts?

Pic of the bike. 95 Cobra in the back.

Clipped CDI wire with connector installed

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 03:40:50 AM »
any help?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 07:10:48 AM »
Dude you want to make sure you leave that green wire unplugged/clipped it gets rid of the rev limiter. There's a possibility whoever did that didn't derestrict it fully. You want the main jet larger, the wire unplugged, and the smooth variator boss. The older p50 should hit 50 on the Speedo no problem when running right. If you have issues not being able to give it full throttle that means your carb is dirty or not tuned right. Make sure you have between an 82-85 main jet and have the mixture set between 1-1.5 turns out. Make sure you have a fresh NGK br8hsa. When you install the smooth boss measure the width of the belt and make sure it's not below 17mm, replace if so. Inspect rollers for flat spots. I love the people 50, and they haul ass once everything is set up right.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 12:54:01 PM »
Alright, sounds good. I've got the variator boss on order, I'll measure the belt today.

Where can I buy jets or a jet kit?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 04:28:32 PM »
Jetsrus kicks ass they delivered my zuma Dellorto jets in less than 3 days, and shipped the order same day. You should get #82-90 in the event you modify the scooter later on.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 02:12:47 AM »
Good idea. I'll get the 82-90 ordered. I'm guessing what Chachivoodoo lists here is what I need?

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=3334.0

I'm going to order a belt too. I pulled the variator and clutch out. The belt only measures ~15.68mm and people are telling me to replace if it's not at least 17mm. Will a factory replacement be ok? Looks like this one has P/N 23100-KEB7-9000.

I cleaned the rollers while I was in there. They don't appear to be damaged or worn. Should I be replacing those?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 05:15:55 AM »
Ouch that belt is gone!!!! You might as well order a set of 8.5g Dr pulley sliders, gain a little acceleration and top end. That is the correct part number for the belt. You might as well replace the three sliding bushings too, the little triangles.

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 05:46:20 AM »
Ok....New main jet (85), new replacement Kymco belt, smooth variator boss.

I can't even twist the throttle over 1/4 before it bogs. Is it possible the exhaust still being restricted could be making it bog? Carb float bad?

The carb needs some tuning. Got anything to read?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 06:38:10 AM »
Do you have a pod filter? If so you need wayyyy larger than #85 main jet, prolly closer to #100.. Stock airbox > pod filter

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »
Are these things seriously that touchy? You can go 50 mph on a stock airbox?

I have this:
http://www.spectreperformance.com/search/product.aspx?prod=4282

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 04:44:29 PM »
Yeah dude, any carburetor is that picky. More air needs more fuel, it has no way of self correcting. You will NOT get a performance gain from that air filter. The stock airbox is the way to go and yes with your p50 it'll do 50 bone stock if its running right. Slap that airbox back on.

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 02:27:49 AM »
Well that did it. Stock airbox back on with the restrictor out and 1 full screw turn on the air/fuel mix and it buries the needle to 50mph. My GPS app says 40mph though.

Still need to derestrict the exhaust too.

Thanks for all your help!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 02:29:37 AM »
What year is your bike? If its older than '07 the pipe is totally derestrcted already!!! Glad to hear it rips!

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 03:21:48 AM »
It's an 02.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()