Author Topic: found these on ebay. thoughts?  (Read 11721 times)

donjack

• View Profile
Re: found these on ebay. thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 11:45:33 PM »
wayhay!! its arrived!! and do you know what my beloved other half did? well let me tell you, she opened the box and let me look/touch it, THEN promptly put it back in its box and sellotaped it shut!! I now have to wait until Christmas!!!
it was only a small glimpse/feel I had but it looks pretty damned good for the price I paid.
I will let you know how it is once I have installed it.
cheers,
Don.
Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 11:48:38 PM »
Merry Xmas!  ;D
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 11:51:55 PM »
cheers mate!! ;D ;D ;D same to yourself!!
its gonna be a long time coming tho'!!  ;D ;D ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 11:54:30 PM »
Sit in the bath tub crying... That'll make her give it up.
You can run around the house pretending to ride your scoot too. Just go VVVRRrooooommmm everywhere you go... She'll get the hint.

Either that or I have a spare room if she flips...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 01:22:11 AM »
The rest of my nickel:
I have yet to see a single aftermarket exhaust that didn't look like it was made to fit --- you pick:
A riding mower
A tractor
A roof-top A/C unit
A terrorist's homemade F-150 with gun mount
Any one of 123 different Asian scooters, generators, 4-runners, snow blowers - any size motor, any color
My neighbor's turkey smoker

What I have never seen is an after-market exhaust "can" that looked like it ever came within a kilometer of an Italian, Asian, German, or American design studio. To actually design and 'sculpt' a muffler for each application is beyond the capability of any of these shiny tube makers, armed with the weld torch and home-made pipe bender. They'll whip you one up for @ $100 US and a carton of Marlboros.

I once ran a Honda bike all over southern California with an after-market exhaust. It was a Hunts tomato sauce can with nail holes. At least it was red and color coordinated with the red bike. (until the label burned off)

Bless the folks that are big enough to admit that these one size fits all shiny cans have NOT increased anything but the noise of their scooter....and that they are glad they kept the stock muffler under their beds so they can switch back.

Going to odd lots and buy a Thrush 'performance' muffler soon as I get done here. They come in 2 sizes so you can get the best from your car,truck, boat, plane, A/C unit, turkey smoker - foreign or domestic.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 04:03:35 AM »
I need to laugh at all the comments here as it is the typical "man thing", and also an "age thing".   PS: (I am a male, with many years riding, lets say some 200,000 miles in total).

My "Exhaust & Pipes evolution"

• First it couldn't be loud enough
  • Then it couldn't be shiny enough 
  • Next it needed to make more power, and be lighter
  • And now...  I consider myself wiser and mature, as long as it works properly, AND is quiet, it's what works for the road.
  • Because after all it's "myself", who can with SKILLS outshine others, and no muffler/exhaust pipe can do, that, only "brag", with nothing behind it than empty looks and noise.

Remark: Anybody has the right to go through the same evolution as I did, and I understand it, because I was there too. 

OR, you could be SMARTER than I was and learn from my "experience" that I post here.  Skip the muffler macho part and work on your skill level, with rider safety classes, and on-track training,  I guarantee, you will be MUCH more impressive to others, and safer, than any shiny and loud muffler upgrade will do....

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:06:19 AM by windwheeler »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 04:26:56 AM »
I guess they are both right... Cut off the muffler, and ride a straight pipe in protest of all the butt monkeys that but loud shinny pipes. I'm going to cut mine off right now. (muffler that is)

I thank you fellas for the insight.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 05:11:47 AM »
Zombie, you will not believe how many "butt monkeys" I showed my (quiet) tail pipes (on more than one scooter),  AND  IT WASN'T FUNNY FOR THEM.

I passed a few Hardly Dayvidsons "on the outside" with my 150cc Scooter at "Deals Gap/the Dragon", and they were afterwards looking for me at the Gap Motel...   so, IT WASN'T FUNNY FOR THEM? :-)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:14:52 AM by windwheeler »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 05:42:19 AM »
I'm just messing around. The "evolution" posted is 100% true.  All that" loud pipes save lives crap" is just that, crap.

Depending on my mood someones loud pipe just might cost a life BUT I do have a loud pipe on one bike, a slightly louder pipe on another bike, and I am building a bike that will run 14" x 1 1/2" straight pipes so I guess that one will be the slightly louder-est bike. It's a just cause I can kind of thing.

I like the sound of an engine. More than most I would think.  i build them/modify them, and REALLY like to hear them sing. Some people really don't know what to listen for or why they should listen. Those are the people that don't really understand un muffled engines or why others take the mufflers off.
Maybe it's like classical music compared to death metal. I actually prefer classical if given the choice... go figure.

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 10:43:08 PM »
I got to install the new exhaust today, first impressions are excellent and the quality is superb!
the install was pretty much straight forward except for hanger, the original bolt was way to long so I had to source one from the internet.
I have uploaded a few pics to photobucket.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/donjack1964/whatyouget_zps6a59e9c8.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/donjack1964/madewell22_zps93231394.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/donjack1964/madewell21_zps7b8bd986.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/donjack1964/looksgood_zps9b9242ed.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/donjack1964/looksbetter_zpsca264629.jpg

the sound level at idle is a bit louder, 77db vs 81db (phone app!!) but, it sounds brilliant!! its a low throaty throb, I rode her to work tonight and I feel as if there is a bit more power (and noise!!), i'll have to get her on the motorway to really find out  ;D ;D ;D
I wish I knew someone who could ride, I really would love to hear a drive by!!
let me know what you think!
Cheers,
Don.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2014, 02:40:42 AM »
It's the exact same construction as the "shorty" muffler I have on my 4t/50cc. I have to assume it's the same manufacturer.

I'll tell you... I love mine. It's a few years old, and just as good as new.

You're gonna love it.   8)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2014, 02:54:08 AM »
Cool man!!!! Any noticeable butt dyno gains? I have a stainless exhaust on my B&W, one thing I can say KEEP IT CLEAN!!! It'll look bad fast from road grime. Use polish once or twice a month. If you don't clean it, it gets pitted and discolored. Get someone to film a flyby so we can all hear it!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 09:11:25 AM »
Cheers guys, I'll try and get a flyby filmed, don't know how yet, but I'll manage somehow, you JUST have to hear it!!  ;D ;D ;D
It definitely feels like there is more power, I'll let you know on that one!!
Cheers,
Don.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 02:02:21 PM »
You might have to up the main jet by one or two sizes to get the full effect from it.

Try getting a new spark plug, and run a mile or so at 1/2 throttle. See what the plug says.
Then try it again at or near wot.

You don't want to start melting valves...  Not trying to worry ya. Just better safe than sorry.

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 08:45:55 PM »
Cheers for the input zombie, I'll definitely try the new plug route!
This is a quote from the web page.

•No rejetting or remapping is required after fitment however we always recommend a dyno test after fitting replacement parts to your motorcycle.

I might have a look to see if there is anywhere local(ish) that has dyno facilities!

Thanks again for the heads up.
Cheers,
Don.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()