Author Topic: Myth Busting ABS  (Read 3671 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Myth Busting ABS
« on: November 02, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »
Brought this over from a thread on the Forza forum.
Anyone who has not watched the Kymco or BMW bike ABS videos should give them a look...
I am old enough to remember when folks argued against seat belts, if you can imagine.
Europe is making ABS standard on all 125cc+ 2 wheels in 2016.
If/when my son gets his motorcycle I am paying the extra $ for his ABS.
Stig

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Features/RideReports/AntiLockBraking.aspx
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Re: Myth Busting ABS
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 10:42:40 PM »
ABS takes away brake control from the driver, if you trust a machine over the driver then ABS is for you. I'd rather trust my life to my skills not some dumbass brake module.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Government mandates
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 12:29:46 AM »
Don't like them. Should always be buyers choice.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:37:19 AM »
wish I had it on my GT300i

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »
ABS takes away brake control from the driver,
Tell us, how your motorcycles (and cars, trucks, busses and even airplanes! - they all are usually equipped with ABS) took away the control from you.
I took several security trainings on motorcycles and cars with/-out ABS and didn't notice any disadvantage.
Of course, on deep soft ground (off tarmac), there can be a disadvantage. That's why my Husqvarna is equipped with an ABS-off switch. Same on 4x4 offroaders.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:02:46 AM by ts1 »

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 09:30:26 AM »
ABS takes away brake control from the driver, if you trust a machine over the driver then ABS is for you. I'd rather trust my life to my skills not some dumbass brake module.

ABS only steps in when your skills let you down.
On tarmac surfaces human skills cannot outperform ABS, this has been proven time and again but still people spout this sh** about being in control.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: Government mandates
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »
Don't like them. Should always be buyers choice.

Yep just like helmets

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »
ABS like traction control has it's place.

I'd like a switch so that the driver can disable ABS like you can with traction control.

I have no real first hand experiance with ABS so I can't comment from a fully informed location, but I'd imagine that there are timnes when you want to skid (But I'm pressed to think of any other than warming up tires for a race).

With traction control, the brakes are applied anytime there is wheel slip, problem with that is, if your on  sheer ice the wheels will slip and the brakes get applied, thus stopping you from forward or backward movement.

Turn the T/C off and you can spin the wheels enough to get you moving a little or rock the car to get out of a small divet. Once moving you can reapply the T/C.

Another time you want to turn off the T/C is when parking in a snowed/iced in parking lot that is on an incline, spin the whels for  a few seconds and you dig a small hole for the wheels to lay in, other wise you can slip down the hill while your shopping.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 05:24:46 PM »
Myth busted for real:)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.americanmotorcyclist.com%2FFeatures%2FRideReports%2FAntiLockBraking.aspx&ei=BrhXVMCYPITziALF_IGwAg&usg=AFQjCNGMWiXz9MfGYQvRtnlvAo8jkuOoXA&sig2=P2ouuqYG8ne1PIRZtDWnEw

I have subscribed to Cycle World for probably 30 years or more and last year, they had an article about ABS, where they had invited some of the best bike testers in the world to try and beat ABS---all of them failed.

ABS can indeed be a problem on adventure bikes---IF it cannot be switched off. We ex-pro or semi-pro desert and  competition riders actually want to lock our wheels all the time, at our discretion.

I personally can take it or leave it but on the BMW's I had, it was absolutely amazing to feel it work. The front and rear brakes could be used to the max with no lockup.

I think beginners should all have ABS equipped bikes/ scoots. IMHO:)

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 11:18:29 PM »
Love my a.b.s.my frist scoot with theam and so far doing good.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 01:10:49 AM »
Recently I was reading an article about the Honda combined brakes.
The author said that with these brakes is is virtually impossible to lock a wheel in a panic stop......

That made me wonder.
Really?

Also, a fellow on the Honda forum has a pic of a worn-through tire (in the center) that his mechanic said happened when he made one panic stop with ABS. I cannot understand that one....I thought the main thing ABS does is prevent wheel lock-up on dry pavement?  Abraded the tread right down to the white threads. Huh?

Well, a lot of things puzzle me....& I'm OK with that.
Where's my cheese?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 08:04:50 AM »
Recently I was reading an article about the Honda combined brakes.
The author said that with these brakes is is virtually impossible to lock a wheel in a panic stop......
.. on dry tarmac.
Combined brakes (usually semi combined: rear brake is combined with a front caliper, but one or more front calipers are independent) keep the braking bike in balance and perform well, even if only the foot brake is applied. Usually you will use both brakes and do the combined brake yourself.
Apparently the combined brake can also have a disadvantage off-tarmac or on snow/ice. Sometimes you can tolerate a locked rear wheel, but when the front wheels locks, you'll drop.
Unlike the ABS with its electric control, combined brake usually means linked brake pipes and there is no easy way to seperate them on demand.
BMW offers semi and full integral ABS brakes on their street bikes, but not on GS or X models.
Also, a fellow on the Honda forum has a pic of a worn-through tire (in the center) that his mechanic said happened when he made one panic stop with ABS. I cannot understand that one..
Me too.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:06:48 AM by ts1 »

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 11:02:20 PM »
Also, a fellow on the Honda forum has a pic of a worn-through tire (in the center) that his mechanic said happened when he made one panic stop with ABS. I cannot understand that one....I thought the main thing ABS does is prevent wheel lock-up on dry pavement?  Abraded the tread right down to the white threads. Huh

Mechamic talking sh**e.
My first Scootsmart had a similar uneven wear pattern.
I think the tyre was not seated correctly and wasn't balanced at the factory.
There was definitely no wheel lock up, because the wheels can't be locked.
Second one was fitted by a real pro tyre fitter and balanced, no uneven wear.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()