Author Topic: New speedometer cable not working, why?  (Read 1425 times)

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
New speedometer cable not working, why?
« on: November 03, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »
Hi!

I've got an issue with the speedometer and was wondering if some of you fellow Kymco users would know the answer.

So, the cable broke near the wheel in the summer, it took me some time before I figured that and ordered a replacement and removed the old cable together with the plastic coating/tube. Recently I installed new cable and coating/tube which I bought from Kymco dealer, it's the same as the old one. But even though I changed it, the speedometer showed only like half of the real speed and the red pointer was shaking and jumping. Later the speedometer constantly showed only 10-15 kmh when I was riding at around 60-70 kmh. Now after 500 km which I have traveled during few last days, the pointer on speedometer doesn't move at all. When I turn the scooter's ignition on, the red pointer goes all the way to the max speed and back to the 0, so it's fine I guess? Do you think it might be something wrong with the thing (don't know how to call it) at the front wheel, where you insert the speedo cable, or maybe you have some other wise remarks for a total newbie like me?
Kymco People S 50 2T 2008
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi torsion controller 2512828
Malossi rollers 7g
Michelin City Grip front + Heidenau K66 rear

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: New speedometer cable not working, why?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:26:40 PM »
Do you have a people s50? It could be a bad gauge, the s has an electronic needle. Out a bad speedometer gear (the thing that the cable screws into on the wheel).
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
Re: New speedometer cable not working, why?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »
Hi!
Yes I have a 2T People S 50 from 2008. So it could be one of these two things? I guess I should check the speedometer gear first (thanks for mentioning the name, I would struggle with finding it!). Is there any way to tell if it's damaged and has to be replaced, how can you check that?
Kymco People S 50 2T 2008
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi torsion controller 2512828
Malossi rollers 7g
Michelin City Grip front + Heidenau K66 rear

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()